Canning wild meat

Rhatch

FNG
How does one go about canning their game? I know some have pretty stringent practices for best taste and am wondering if that can be applied to the canning process

Clarence

WKR
Raw dry pack, 1Tblsp qt / 1tsp salt pint, jalapeño slices and give it 90 minutes at 15psi.
Do you have a salt you prefer? Picked up a used pressure canner a few years ago. Need to get it tested, and can some meat this fall.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rhatch

FNG
Don't season in the can. Just a pinch of canning salt.

When you open the jar and reheat, you can season for whatever you want- tacos, stews, stroganoff, endless possibility.
Good call!

OP
R

Rhatch

FNG
Nice. I've done lots of fruit and veggies. I'm gonna try it with some cow first. In case I ruin it, it's not horrielble

Clarence

WKR
Can you over due it? Or are the different times for different size jars?

ozyclint

WKR
Recently got a canner and have processed beef, chicken, duck and potatoes. For meat I do 90 minutes at 15psi and I'm at 1000m elevation. It can turn boot leather into butter.

As said earlier, you have a blank canvas and can make anything in minutes.

I was thinking about the energy efficiency of it. I wouldn't be surprised if it costs you less to process it for 90mins than to keep it frozen for 12 months. Especially considering that you still have to cook it after being frozen for 12 months.

ozyclint

WKR
We did ours in a stove top canner kettle. 1 Tbsp of salt. Boil 3 hours.

I hope you mean pressure canning? Water bath canning is not suitable for meat and other non acidic foods. You need the pressure to raise the temperature enough to kill botulism spores. Low PH kills them and if you haven't got the low PH you need the high temps of pressure.

rayporter

WKR
we do ours outside or in the basement on fish cooker burners, it makes things a lot easier.
gVgQrKk.jpg

Clarence

WKR
I hope you mean pressure canning? Water bath canning is not suitable for meat and other non acidic foods. You need the pressure to raise the temperature enough to kill botulism spores. Low PH kills them and if you haven't got the low PH you need the high temps of pressure.
I know it is not the correct, or safe way, but I know a handful of folks that can in the oven, or do Water bath for meat. They haven't had a negative experience, but that doesn't mean they couldn't. Meat is just to valuable to me to see it not go right and spoil. Definitely don't want anyone to get sick from something I served them.

bwlacy

WKR
Pressure can for sure. I've done raw and cooked. Raw is much quicker and easier. You get a lot of shrinkage in the jar. Definetally spice after then you can make whatever you want. We can at least 1 deer a year.

Definitely one of my favorite ways to enjoy bear and deer. Pinch of salt when you can. It’s so convenient to open one up and heat it up after a long day.