Canning wild meat

PredatorX

WKR
What is the oldest jar you all have busted open? I think I still have some from about 7 or 8 years ago.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
For those who dry pack, how much liquid is in the jar after canning? I have only tried it once and there was about an inch of liquid in the jar and the rest of the meat was dry in the jar. Is that normal? Some beef recipes I have seen say to precook, add water then process. Thanks for any info.

For those who dry pack, how much liquid is in the jar after canning? I have only tried it once and there was about an inch of liquid in the jar and the rest of the meat was dry in the jar. Is that normal? Some beef recipes I have seen say to precook, add water then process. Thanks for any info.

It’s pretty normal for some liquid to cook off during the canning process. Should be nothing to worry about if your checking your headspace and burping the jar before sealing it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, season here opens September 19, first doe will be a steak fry and canning. Good luck to all.

I can a few whitetails and about 25% of my elk. It makes for great meals at my cabin, and at base camp. I agree with just a pinch of salt, season for what you are cooking. Makes fantastic stroganoff, tips and gravy, taco, etc.

jackle1886

Lil-Rokslider
I started pressure canning a few years ago. It saves me lots of time trying to cut silver skin off. Just cube it and toss it in. No salt, water, etc just meat. Melts all that nasty stuff down and you end up with a hardened fat layer on top. Great for a quick meal, lasts virtually forever and takes on whatever flavor you season it with. Bonus, if the power goes out no worries about the freezer thawing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I follow my mom's method which we have enjoyed for years.

Cube up meat to around 1" cubes.

Heat up a big pan and toss in enough cubes to fill a quart jar, browning all sides, you are not trying to cook - just brown.

Pack cubes in a quart jar, and add the liquid from the pan in, making sure to leave about 1.5" of head space. If not enough liquid add HOT water until you are 1.5" from top.

When you have enough quart jars to fill a pressure canner, put them in and get the pressure up to 10lbs (@1000' ft elev). Once you hit 10lbs of pressure, set timer for 90 mins.

Ensure all jars seal once removed from canner, store out of sunlight.

Last few years I have been adding different spices during the browning process, then packing in raw cloves of garlic/junks of onions with meat into jars before canning.

My wife loves to make simple meals with these jars, like making white rice, then mixing a jar of meat with cream of mushroom soup. the meat pulls apart like pulled pork, and the mixture is spread over the rice. A big hit with the kids and very fast meal.

OP
R

Rhatch

FNG
I started pressure canning a few years ago. It saves me lots of time trying to cut silver skin off. Just cube it and toss it in. No salt, water, etc just meat. Melts all that nasty stuff down and you end up with a hardened fat layer on top. Great for a quick meal, lasts virtually forever and takes on whatever flavor you season it with. Bonus, if the power goes out no worries about the freezer thawing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That was my thing, power outage and losing meat