Canning Your Wild-Game Meat (how-to + recipe)

I’ve been canning for most of my life, from fruits and veggies, meats of all kinds, fish of all kinds, stews, chowders, sauerkraut, jalapeños….

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
We can a lot of salmon and I really enjoy it. I learned that adding things while canning, I couldn't really taste and I'll just add things when we eat it. Salt is the only thing we add. My question is canning meat the same? Should I just add salt and flavor when preping for eating? I'm hoping for just a nice good base to start with. I see a few people use boullion, is that just a way to get salt and just a little flavor?

Graf228

FNG
I'm curious as to how you can jointed rabbits. I'm brand new to canning and still researching how to do it and the equipment used. So this thread has been a wonderful source of information!

Renojxd

FNG
We tried this last fall and our jars seemed to lose moisture after we removed them from the pressure canner. Is that Normal?

rayporter

WKR
no, the jars must cool slowly. never try to cool the cooker rapidly with cold air or water.

they will still be very hot, even when the wt has dropped, we cover them with a towel when we remove the jars.

Renojxd

FNG
no, the jars must cool slowly. never try to cool the cooker rapidly with cold air or water.

they will still be very hot, even when the wt has dropped, we cover them with a towel when we remove the jars.
Ok thank you

cnelk

WKR
Gradually reduce the temp for the pressure canner. If temps drops too quickly, juice will siphon off the jars.

bigdub257

Lil-Rokslider
Been canning salmon for quite a while. This year tried deer, tuna, pheasant, duck and even some tough pork chops. All of it turned out fantastic! Sure frees up alot of freezer space and the longevity is a big bonus.

Renojxd

FNG
Gradually reduce the temp for the pressure canner. If temps drops too quickly, juice will siphon off the jars.
I bet that’s what happened. I did it in the garage and temps were pretty low. Thanks

2buffalo

Lil-Rokslider
We can a whitetail a year delicious and easy meals. I particularly like it when she makes stroganoff with it. Or on eggs in the morning.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
We can a whitetail a year delicious and easy meals. I particularly like it when she makes stroganoff with it. Or on eggs in the morning.
How does it turn out? Is it sort of the texture of a roast? Always wondered what canned deer would be like

Finn16

WKR
It was time to clean out the freezer this week. I had 30 lbs of vacuum sealed elk from October '20 that was chunked and earmarked to grind later. Well that never happended so I decied to can it yesterday. Anyone have any idea how long it will last being it was frozen for 18 months before I canned it?

Operator

Lil-Rokslider
Well I guess I will have to break out my pressure cookers, I have three of them, when my wife and I were canning veggies from our garden having three cookers going really cut down on time. Note though when two are on the fire set a timer for each and pay attention to your pressure, we always had one cooling one beginning to cook and one almost ready to take off the burner.

It was time to clean out the freezer this week. I had 30 lbs of vacuum sealed elk from October '20 that was chunked and earmarked to grind later. Well that never happended so I decied to can it yesterday. Anyone have any idea how long it will last being it was frozen for 18 months before I canned it?
I don't think the freeze time will count against you, probably last the same as fresh which seems like everyone says 18 months. It seems that 18 months has to do with the jar lid seal though more than the food, can anyone confirm that?

Huntsalot

FNG
We can a lot of salmon and I really enjoy it. I learned that adding things while canning, I couldn't really taste and I'll just add things when we eat it. Salt is the only thing we add. My question is canning meat the same? Should I just add salt and flavor when preping for eating? I'm hoping for just a nice good base to start with. I see a few people use boullion, is that just a way to get salt and just a little flavor?

We do it differently than most. Instead of using bouillon and deer broth, I actually cook our venison before canning. I cook it long enough for it to release most of its juice and the pieces shrink. That way I can fit more meat in the jars and I also cover them with good beef broth.

GWHunter

FNG
If you wanted to can soup, stew or chili, do you just make the dish on the stove as normal and then can it, or add the ingredients into a big pot mix and let the canning part cook it?

If you wanted to can soup, stew or chili, do you just make the dish on the stove as normal and then can it, or add the ingredients into a big pot mix and let the canning part cook it?
I let the canning do the cooking too. I have found that doing a full cook and then canning results in overcooking and altering the flavor of the final product.

There may be exceptions where this would not be a good idea, Uncooked beans or potatoes come to mind.

Years if canned/sealed properly

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk