Cannon Safe at Costco?

Riplip

WKR
I bought a Cannon through Costco a few years back and really like it. Very good quality for the price.
I had some minor issues with delivery because of the weight, just make sure the details are spelled out, especially if there are stairs etc.

Marble

WKR
I have the same one. It's a good deal and the safe is nice.

If you bring it in the house yourself and need to dolly it, rental places have electric dollies. It was a must to move it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Extrapale

WKR
Looks similar to my Cannon that was purchased at Costco in 2017. Mine was marketed a s a 75 gun safe. It's roomy, and I have no complaints.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

big44a4

WKR
Can look at companies that install bank safes and see if they have any old ones. Banks just pay them to haul them off. They will store them to sell or use. Worth a shot. I got an old bank safe thats TL 30 for a fraction of the price. The move/install was included. Mine weighs a touch over 3k lbs. Here is a link to something similar but obviously more than double what I got mine for. Worth a little homework to end up with a much higher quality safe. Back to question I’ve heard good things about Costco cannon safes as mentioned here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I've had a Cannon 48 gun 600lb safe for about 10 years. I did have a problem with the keypad and Cannon provided excellent support.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I bought a field & stream safe from Sams i think - got that model cause it has a key override.

Had a safe go bad once, after 10+ years and the keypad and such would not accept the password/combination.

We use a safe as a catch-all - been robbed before and lost a couple irreplaceable things, so bought a safe for a deterrent and for peace of mind.

Cannon is a decent brand name - you should be fine.

Azone

WKR
Costco in my area had them for 775 or 800 and free shipping to your house a few years back. I purchased one and have no complaints.

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If I was lucky/rich enough to have enough rifles/pistols/shotguns to fill a safe like that up (or even halfway up), no way in hell I’d spend only $1,000 on a Chinese tin box to protect it all. It doesn’t even mention how thick the steel is, which is a huge red flag. Nor what the fire temperature rating for 60 minutes is. Another red flag. You have no idea what protection you’re actually getting with this safe.

Now if you’re just interested in a big storage area that keeps them safe from the kids, a safe like this is perfect (really any safe would work). But if you want protection from an actual fire or a mediocre thief with some hand tools, I would step it up a couple notches and really spend time researching. It really all depends on what the value of the items are you’re putting in there (keeping in mind your list of items will grow) and what makes sense to spend on protection. This is one of those buy once, cry once items, and generally with gun safes you get what you pay for.

GotDraw?

WKR
If I was lucky/rich enough to have enough rifles/pistols/shotguns to fill a safe like that up (or even halfway up), no way in hell I’d spend only $1,000 on a Chinese tin box to protect it all. It doesn’t even mention how thick the steel is, which is a huge red flag. Nor what the fire temperature rating for 60 minutes is. Another red flag. You have no idea what protection you’re actually getting with this safe.

Now if you’re just interested in a big storage area that keeps them safe from the kids, a safe like this is perfect (really any safe would work). But if you want protection from an actual fire or a mediocre thief with some hand tools, I would step it up a couple notches and really spend time researching. It really all depends on what the value of the items are you’re putting in there (keeping in mind your list of items will grow) and what makes sense to spend on protection. This is one of those buy once, cry once items, and generally with gun safes you get what you pay for.
@Bear_Hunter

FWIW- right at the top of the page the safe's description states the following:
  • "Fireproof for 60 Min at 1200 Degrees Fahrenheit"
Should address your question...

JL

Beendare

WKR
...no way in hell I’d spend only $1,000 on a Chinese tin box to protect it all. It doesn’t even mention how thick the steel is, which is a huge red flag.
IMO, thats only partially true. It’s a fact that if you put the safes in where the bad guys can flip them on their back and spend 20 minutes on them they can get in. The install is key.

If you bolt them in and place them in a location where it’s difficult to get tools and pry bars on them....they are as good as a $5,000 safe.

Edit; If your home is a post tension slab you do not want to be running concrete anchor bolts, make sure you know what you have.....

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Yep install is important, and bolting to the floor helps, but I could be in that Costco safe and empty the contents in less than 5 min whether or not it's bolted to the floor with simple hand tools. And I wouldn't go through the door. All I'm saying is do your research and spend on protection relative to the value of what you're protecting. Here's a video I found kinda helpful.

I’ve watched all those type videos. The folks badmouth 12 and 14 gauge safes with Sheetrock and then try and sell you a 10 gauge safe with an inch of concrete.
Neither seems terribly difficult to get into to me. 4” grinder and a sledge would make quick work of any of them.

Most annoying thing to me is that they are all relatively square so that the gun storage is a mess. Always having to pull guns out so you can get to the guns in the back.

I want a flat safe where all guns go in side by side and have standoffs for the barrels so they can fit in correct even with a scope.
But you can only find plain 12 or 14 gauge gun lockers like that.
It’s as if all the home gun safe makers have never actually owned and used guns. A very odd industry.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
For the money, you won't find anything better (other than maybe something used). I have a smaller variant I bought from Costco last year (I simply didn't have space in the house for a larger one). Are they truly going to protect your firearms against fire, flood, and persevering thieves? Nope. But a safe that would is many magnitude more expensive.

To reduce my risk for fire, flood, thieves..., I have Valuable Property Insurance (rider on my homeowners) on all my firearms and optics. The policy premium is about $10/month for >$20k of items. The crazy thing is that getting the policy actually saved me money overall because the "multiple policy" discount was more than the VPP premium. The policy even covers breakage and loss - you know, when you fall on your scope in the mountains or the airline bends your gun case in half inexplicably.

OP
Idaho_Sasquatch
I have the same mindset as DudeBro. I need something to keep kids out of my guns and then have insurance to cover loss. Thanks for all the feedback, I'll get it ordered.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Ole' Bear hunter is a master thief I tell ya. Those Chinese junk safes costco sells kept a thief from taking my guns. I sure am glad it wasn't Bear hunter who broke into my house. I'da lost my guns and a bunch of other personal items in less than 5 minutes.

I have a cannon from costco and a Liberty safe. They are both very similar to each other but the liberty looks a little nicer on the interior and exterior. I think if you get a professional like Bear hunter in your house, they are gonna get in ANY safe if they have time and want to. Buy with confidence.