Canon body recommendation for photography and filming from treestands

JasonWi

WKR
Hello:

I've been away from photography for quite a few years and have interest in getting back into it. This will mainly be for nature, wildlife (both living and dead) and some astrophotography. I kept my 17-40 F4 and my 70-200 F4 L series lenses.

For those who are up to date on Canon products is there one or two models I should consider in the sub 1k range that will be robust enough -- to get carried in my pack during summer backpacking and hunting season, yet still allow me to do some filming from my treestands in the fall?

Thank you in advance!
Jason

Last year Canon discontinued a lot of DSLR bodies. Their current lineup of crop sensor cameras are the T7, T8i both are only available now with 18-55 lenses and are well within your price range and the 90D which is over by a little. The other alternative are their mirrorless crop sensor cameras in your budget, M50, M50 Mk2 and the M6 mark 2

Call me and I can go over the options with you

Joel
516-217-1000

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
For Canon EF mount bodies around or under $1k I'd probably be looking at the 90D or RP with RF->EF adapter. The F4 on a crop sensor 90D might be a little rough on low light (for wider angle shots I am a huge fan of the Sigma 18-35 1.8) but the RP is a full frame so it won't be quite as bad. The big downside to the RP is going to be FPS and the downside to the 90D will be crop factor, only slightly better FPS and no bird/animal tracking AF like the newer mirrorless bodies have.

The EOS EF-M bodies like the M50 or M6 might be an option too but I'm not fond of the form factor and ergos with bigger lenses on them.

That said I have a Canon 80D (predecessor to the 90D) and unless I'm really pushing the limits of the body I don't find it to be a huge bottleneck in getting great shots. It does tend to struggle a bit in low light (though I have ISO capped at 6400 to reduce noise) and it'd be nice if the FPS was higher but overall I've been very happy with it. I probably won't upgrade until I can afford a EOS R5 (or whatever next body they come out with is) or decide to sell everything and start over with Sony. I've been really hung up on the EOS R as a potential buy but I'm not sure it gives me enough over the 80D that I shouldn't just save for the R5.

In short, give the 90D a hard look, or maybe even a clearance or lightly used 80D and put the savings towards the Sigma 18-35mm.

jeepfan

FNG
Filming from a treestand is made easier with a wired remote control to put zoom, record start/stop and power on/off in one place on the fluid head handle of the tree arm. Canon doesn't offer any bodies that can do that. I can't think of a Sony body that can't be equipped with a wired remote.

Geedubya

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 7DMk2. My workhorse lens is the EF 24-70mm 1:2.8 L II USM, and depending on what when and how I will either add the EF 70-200mm 1:2.8 L II USM or the Tamron 150-600 F5-6.3 super telephoto. I load them in a Direct Action Ghost Backpack, along with a rangefinder and a pair of 10 x 42 Binocs and other goodies. I throw this on the back of an ATV and go.

This will give you an idea what the terrain is like

koMeTtN.png

MJ2rUo9.png

hBnYKsB.png

1BR2THd.png

I've used this in that fashion at least monthly for near five years, beating the dog out of it. I have yet to have a problem with the body or lenses other than busted UV filters and other assorted bumps and scratches. Of course, YMMV.

ya!

GWB

Filming from a treestand is made easier with a wired remote control to put zoom, record start/stop and power on/off in one place on the fluid head handle of the tree arm. Canon doesn't offer any bodies that can do that. I can't think of a Sony body that can't be equipped with a wired remote.
What would your recommendation be for around this same price point for a Sony body?

Do you have Sony lenses? If so are they crop sensor or full frame? If not what are you planning on doing for a lens for the camera?

randym

FNG
I've heard that the glass contributes a ton to the quality of the finished pic - probably a decent idea to look at that cost too