Canon mirrorless thoughts/advice

My wife and I are looking to upgrade cameras(currently running an older Rebel series DSLR). She is a fan of Canon, so we will be sticking with that brand. Looking at either the EOS RP or EOS R. Rather not say which way we are leaning but would like hear thoughts from anybody, with experience with these cameras or not. I understand no camera is perfect just looking for opinions. Mostly for stills, everything from portraits, family, wildlife, landscape to western backpack hunting trips. Thanks in advance.

The major advantage of the R for members here is that it's weatherproof, the RP is not. Both are excellent cameras, fast A/F. Other benefits of the R is it's faster, slightly better in low light and when you turn it off there is a cover that drops over the sensor so when you change lenses no dust can get on the sensor. Canon has a nice selection of lenses and today they announced a bunch more. They announced both a 600mm and 800mm lenses, both under $1000 before we do better for members. Feel free to call me to discuss which Canon would be best for you

Wright406

WKR
Not to highjack, but i posted a EOS R (new factory refurb) in the classifieds. Although CameraLand has amazing prices and CS!

Wright406

WKR
I love mirrorless cameras by the way. I pack mine in all my hunts and adventures so having less camera weight helps. Plus, the LCD live viewfinder makes grabbing exposure easier.

I'm always way behind the curve and just recently noticed they make mirrorless Cameras now and happened to see this post. So what is the advantage to a mirrorless camera and what are possible negatives without going too deep if you all don't mind?

There are no negatives. Mirrorless cameras are smaller, better focusing and since the rear element of the lens is closer to the sensor you get better Bokah. They tend to preform better in low light but that is also a comination of the newer processors and no real improvements in traditional SLR's. Canon will be announcing there will be no more cameras coming in the 5D series. All their new technology will be in mirrorless

OP
Timberridge
What Joel said about canon phasing out the SLR was my driving force to go mirrorless. BTW Cameraland is top notch if you are in the market for a new camera/optics.

Johnpryor

FNG
I have a Sony a7riii and really like it. Takes great video and pics are exceptionally good!!

There are no negatives. Mirrorless cameras are smaller, better focusing and since the rear element of the lens is closer to the sensor you get better Bokah. They tend to preform better in low light but that is also a comination of the newer processors and no real improvements in traditional SLR's. Canon will be announcing there will be no more cameras coming in the 5D series. All their new technology will be in mirrorless
I agree on the benefits but for me it's the size that is the big selling point on mirrorless. Best of all you are not sacrificing quality in the process.