Can't decide - 44 Mag or Reckoning

Oregonboy

WKR
Hey RokSliders,

I've been saving up for a new pack and getting pretty close to pulling the trigger. I'm very torn between the Kifaru 44 Mag or the Reckoning. I own a Kifaru 14r now and love it but I'm looking for a bag with more space and better weight hauling abilities.

I'll break down what I like below:

44 Mag - looks awesome - love the easy access, pals webbing on the front and the internal bladder pouch. I also love that it has a meat shelf, although I'd rather put meat in the cavity of the bag if possible. The internal cavity is only 3300 CI, so the remaining 1100CI must come from the 2 side pockets, which is okay, but having a large (4000+CI) cavity would be nice.

Reckoning - looks awesome too - Seems like it would be better to haul meat in because of the overall large cavity. It also seems like it will be able to accomplish a bigger trip than the 44 Mag can. I don't really go out for more than 4 days at a time (young family at home) so I don't need a ton of space but like someone on here once wrote: "I've never been on the mountain and wished I had a smaller pack". Access via the center zip is okay, but I prefer the access the 44 Mag provides. I know you can fillet the reckoning wide open but that seems like kind of a production, although I've never handled the pack first hand so I don't know, maybe it's super easy. The external bladder pouch also seems kinda weird, although not a deal-breaker, I've never used one before so I can't say.

If it helps, I mostly hunt deer and Elk west of the cascades in Oregon.

Thanks for the help!

The new larger 44 mag is supposedly being released within a couple weeks. Unless you need it really soon, I'd wait for that one before you make a decision.

Although, I have used the Reckoning for two years. It's a great bag and you can't go wrong. I love the center zip but am not a huge fan of the open side pockets. Its ability to slim down into a small daypack is great. But, the 44 mag's organization, extra pockets and the way it zips open give it the edge for me. I have played with the 44 mag for several days. I decided on selling the Reckoning in favor of the bigger bag that will be coming out.

Can’t go wrong either way but I loved my 44 mag on my Elk hunt this year. So easy to load and I really like the built in organization and side zipper pockets - was the perfect size for a 5 day trip - unfortunately I didn’t get to haul meat so I can’t speak to that

Snyder has spoken about it on Instagram and on their podcast. It is supposed to be released within a couple weeks

easilyamused

Lil-Rokslider
+1 For waiting for the release of the bigger version if the 44 mag wont be big enough for you. Ive been running the 44 this year and the layout is absolutely spot on.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I mentioned this in a previous thread, but I packed for a ten day solo elk hunt in the 44 mag, and that was with no extra pockets or pouches attached. That thing is brilliant! Obviously, I wasn't able to have all that and meat in it, as I'm a meat-in-bag guy, but you can't pack a bull solo in one trip anyway, so who cares if that all fits. I must admit that I'm intrigued by the bigger bag, but if it's identical but bigger, that thing is going to be HEAVY. I personally could do without the PALS matrix all over inside and out, and the giant velcro patches, but that's just me. The layout, organization, and access of this bag are so intuitive, it's amazing. I could see the bigger bag killing it packing several day's food, gear, optics, and a whole boned-out mulie.

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
I think I'm going to go for the 44 Mag. I'm sure the Ma Duece will be badass but I really don't need 6000+CU as I don't go on 7+ day trips. If I do get lucky enough to go on a 7+ day hunt, I'll cross that road (pack-wise) when I get there.

Now I keep waffling whether I want Coyote Brown or Ranger Green. My 14r is ranger green, thus for my next pack, I'm leaning toward Coyote.

tdot

WKR
Na, I heard Coyote was lighter. The monotone colour palette makes the bag slimmer. Its like fat people wearing vertical stripes, it tricks the eye and makes em look slim.