Can't decide between 3 sleeping pads

I believe that I have narrowed it down to 3 options but am open to other suggestions. All are the longest and widest options.

Therm-a-Rest Luxury Map (considered due to R rating, price, and exceptional reviews....but that weight o_O)
R Value: 6.8
Weight: 67 oz
Price: $117

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xtherm Max
R Value: 5.7
Weight: 24 oz
Price: $171

Exped SynMat XP9
R Value: 6.0
Weight: 30 oz
Price: $169

Is there a difference in build quality between Therm-a-Rest and Exped?

I can’t speak to the build differences, but I have an xtherm (not the max size/shape) and have been very happy with it. I’ve spent many nights on it and no problems with leaks or anything else so far. Also some people say they don’t like how noisy thermarest pads are, but I haven’t found it to be all that bad.

Also one big difference between the two is weight. Extra ounces add up to extra pounds real quick. But if you aren’t planning to backpack with it I guess that wouldn’t be near as big of an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sooner Wing
Thanks, not sure how I missed this one. Looks like it should be considered as well.

gfreidy

WKR
Have the TR X-therm. Awesome insulator. Feels like I am lying on an electric blanket! I don’t think there is a comparable R value/weight pad out there especially with the updated industry standard to determine R values. Xtherm is now rated 6.9 not 5.7!

The X therm is great. Very warm, pretty durable. I've got over 100 nights on mine over three years. Had to fix two punctures from setting up a tarp poorly and ending up with my pad on top of a stake.
The Exped Downmat Winter HL is right there with it. Similar weight and R value.
In my experience the Expeds are slightly more durable in terms of shell material, but they occasionally have a baffle delaminate. These two are top of the market in terms of weight:R value.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
When I bought a warmer, larger pad, I went with the XTherm max. Weight is always the tiebreaker for me.

mlgc20

WKR
If you're talking about taking it into the backcountry, I would remove the Luxury Map from consideration. It's a fantastic pad (I have 3 of them). It's my go to pad for car camping. But, what is more shocking than the weight is the bulk. After you unravel it from the factory vacuum seal, it takes up a ton of space. I have the DownMat version of the Exped 9. It is unbelievable how great that pad is. But, I have also heard great things about the Xtherm Max.

I have the Exped syn and it is my favorite. It is a tad heavy compared to the Klymit (non insl) that I have. The Klymit is really wide, which I like but without insulation on the model I got, I wont use it other than in Aug. But the Exped Goes on 90% of my hunts. I may get the Klymit insulated version to try as well just for the width. I do slide off the narrower pads frequently.

I like the EXPED 9 so much I bought 3 of em. Wide and thick...it's worth every ounce of weight penalty. R rating is 6...ideal for late season hunt or preseason fishing/camping trip. I use it with a quilt.

2014-06-04124620_zps0192d6ca.jpg

ODB

WKR
Love the exped

do not overinflate. Put in just enough air to keep your hip off the ground. You’ll sleep better. It’s a mattress, not a bouncy toy. ;-)

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Throwing out another EXPED option if you are looking to keep weight down but have 9cm of cush bed beneath you, SynMat UL Winter 20.6oz (size medium) and a 5.2 R-value. It's actually the more comparable mat to the X-Therm as the X-therm uses 30D fabric, SynMat UL Winter uses 20d.

The SynMat 9 you listed uses a 75D which is where the extra weight comes in. That said, it tends to be less prone to punctures than any mat with a lighter UL type fabric.

Feel free to throw out any and all EXPED questions my way (y)

I love my Xtherm. It’s the standard width long version and I’ve never slept better on the ground use it year round with a 20 degree quilt and it’s often too warm.