Can't decide ... Duplex of bikini

Jay Kyle

FNG
I'm leaning toward the bikini myself, the weight reduction is nice, but I like the give/flexibility designed into the frame - so if I twist, the frame can move a bit with me. I've packed with old school external aluminium frames and they are stiff to the point you notice it every time you need to move around - whereas a pack with more give will glide with you more.

On the Bikini, I can't see it close enough but if there's no washer under the cross-stay rivets, it won't take long to wear loose, but if/when they do it's a no-brainer to replace it with a machine screw/washer/nyloc setup.

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward the bikini myself, the weight reduction is nice, but I like the give/flexibility designed into the frame - so if I twist, the frame can move a bit with me. I've packed with old school external aluminium frames and they are stiff to the point you notice it every time you need to move around - whereas a pack with more give will glide with you more.

On the Bikini, I can't see it close enough but if there's no washer under the cross-stay rivets, it won't take long to wear loose, but if/when they do it's a no-brainer to replace it with a machine screw/washer/nyloc setup.

i am not arguing your logic... but the duplex feels nothing like a crappy old school frame board. I dont think that the bikini is that much more flexible. i think that is the big selling point, same stiffness, but about 1.5 pounds lighter

Joe

I have no idea where you are getting that the Bikini Frame will flex with you?? The new Composite stays Kifaru has developed are EXTREMELY STIFF. Nothing is flexing. It's idea is just as stable/stiff as a Duplex but no frame sheet so it is lighter. It was stated that the torso pads "roll" a bit when you move but the frame in not flexing with you. The first pack I purchased with these stays I could not believe how stiff and strong they were. Amazing design.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

Are you getting your info from heavy use of the pack, or just guessing?

So how will the top cross bar fit into or attach to the pack? I'm wondering if the exposed metal will wear through or rip the pack?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I beat the hell out of the frame in the Kifaru booth. There is no flex in the frame.

Shrek

WKR
Are you getting your info from heavy use of the pack, or just guessing?

I've been using it every night for the last couple weeks. 7 to 9 hours at a time. Since I started using it I've killed at least twenty 400" + buuls and a half dozen book rams and goats :D

crumy

WKR
I can attest to the rigidness of the pack. I went down to kifaru to check the packs out and I got the opportunity to see and touch the new bikini frame the day it went live. I am a paying customer and it was the first time I met Aron. (Just making sure people don't assume I am with kifaru). That pack is amazing. Very strong. I tried to twist and bend it with just the pack (no bag). There was no way. In my opinion it will be even stronger with a pack attached. Now take it for what it is worth, but I purchased the bikini and a dt1 that night when I got home.