Can't decide ... Duplex of bikini

tawmio

FNG
Like the topic says I can't seem to decide on what frame to go with. Some of the questions I have are; would the bikini be as adaptable to other brands of packs as the Duplex. What can the duplex do that the bikini can't? From what I can see there might be times when I would maybe like the frame of the duplex since it has a bit more "panel" to support the pack.
Also can't decide if I need 26" frame or 24"
Thanks in advance.

The duplex can carry a huge load. The bikini can't carry everything the duplex can but it can do a bunch. If you're going to be using it more as a dedicated hauler I would go with the duplex. But if you just keep your bag on, you could roll with the bikini. You can't go wrong with either.

stephen b

WKR
Like the topic says I can't seem to decide on what frame to go with. Some of the questions I have are; would the bikini be as adaptable to other brands of packs as the Duplex. What can the duplex do that the bikini can't? From what I can see there might be times when I would maybe like the frame of the duplex since it has a bit more "panel" to support the pack.
Also can't decide if I need 26" frame or 24"
Thanks in advance.

"would the bikini be as adaptable to other brands of packs as the Duplex"

Probably not- but that is just a guess I my part.

One other thing with the Bikini suspension- you have to roll with the composite stays- no other option. Not a problem if your back fits the pre-curved profile of the regular or the straight composites ( which are very rigid- no real flex per say). But, if it does not there is no adjustability for the stays like there would be with aluminum. May not be a big deal for most, but may be for some.

OP
tawmio

tawmio

FNG
It seems to point to the duplex more as I do want the most versatility.

OP
tawmio

tawmio

FNG
I'm going to go with aluminum in case I need to adjust.
Thanks for the offer anyway

26" is a no brainer. I was going to sell my Duplex for a Bikini but in the end 1.5lb difference was not worth it. I love my Duplex with my Dt3 on it. I can make the tiny weight difference up somewheres else. The Duplex is simply incredible!! The Composite Stays are also well worth it. The Bikini is very nice and I will probally own one some day but not now.

OP
tawmio

tawmio

FNG
Hammer0419
Thanks for your good points, sorry but why 26"over 24"

Hammer0419
Thanks for your good points, sorry but why 26"over 24"

Like stated above. Unless you are really short then go with 26" for more lift. You may have ok lift with 24" frame. However once really loaded down the pack naturally drops and you lose lift. With a 26" frame you will never be lacking lift reguardless the size of the load you are carrying!

And remember, you can use the load lift adjusters if you feel it is too steep of a lift with a lighter load. If you have a 24" frame with very heavy load and you need more lift, you are SOL.

Like Tiffany with her Kuiu Icon? Lol

Tell me someone watched that ridiculous episode? :)

Just like that hahaha. It mostly stems from me being selfish... That way I can wear it or loan it out to a friend when I need them to pack my elk and dont want to hear them bitch the whole time about how their pack sucks.

Joe

OP
tawmio

tawmio

FNG
Thanks for your notes... And the humor.
My torso is 19-20" and I'm 5'10" . I just don't want to end up with too much extra frame above my head.