Can't decide on a rifle...

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I've held them both side by side a few days ago. They feel different as far as the material they're made out of and they're also different dimensions with different contours/shape. You might be comparing the older A7 stock with the Tikka, not the current A7 Roughtech stocks.

Was doing a drive by and I did not catch the “Pro” part. Functionally it’s not really an upgrade (BC), but feel is obviously different.

Since you keep mentioning using it, function and not upgrading-

Feel has very little to do with results, despite what most believe. No one is born with a rifle in their hands, and what most find comfortable initially is generally bad for performance. A user that has proper mechanics can get behind any rifle and produce near mechanical sized groups. Of course very few have proper mechanics.

My and my and buddies experience with CA rifles have not been good with about half of them having some kind of issue, and they all have pretty bad bolt bind. Several threads lately on this subject.

Sakos do well, but the A7 is not really an upgrade over a T3x, stock included. In reality for what you’re saying you want it’s probably a downgrade all things considered. From a pure use standpoint you don’t really get better than a T3x until the Sako Finnlight 2 and Carbonlight due the stocks. Between Sako and Tikka, barrels and triggers are equal across the board. Mags are superior on the T3 (single stack, single feed, reliable, durable, available and inexpensive). Integrated rail is better on the T3 over A7, but equal to the 85’s (could be argued the T3 is better...).

Laying side by side and removing emotion, the T3x is the better rifle in use than the A7. In all but the stock, it’s better than the Sako 85, and that’s just due the shape of the Finnlight II and Carbonlight. Not going down the road of modding, still for the price of either of those you can put the Axial Precision stock on the T3 and be better than either Sako. If weight isn’t a huge deal, the Sako S20 starts offering some real functional advancements over most rifles. If the $1,500 range is open, and a bit over 7lbs is fine it is a rifle to look at.

BjornF16

WKR
Dangit Form!

I just ordered a T3X Stainless Lite, and now you have to go and inform me about a Sako S20!

Deerfield

Lil-Rokslider
I went back and forth on a bunch of different rifles before I bought my Tikka. IMO I made the right choice. The smoothness of the Tikka bolt is just amazing compared to everything in a similar price (and some more expensive rifles for that matter). I agree the stock isn’t the best thing in the world although it can be made way better with a couple upgrades (limbsaver and vertical grip). However if you really don’t think that the Tikka stock is what fits you best I wouldn’t be afraid to spend a little more money to upgrade the stock. The price of the Tikka leaves some room in your rifle budget for an upgrade and I think you could use some of your scope budget for that too. For your ranges a good SWFA or Leupold VX3 would work perfect and come in below your budget.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I think I’ve decided on Wagyu beef over Kobe beef. I’ve never had either, but I did have White Castle once. The Wagyu looks better.

This guy actually went to a store and handled rifles and formed his own opinion. Have to respect that over the 99,000 posts on here with guys who haven't done any work for themselves other than the google machine.

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
This guy actually went to a store and handled rifles and formed his own opinion. Have to respect that over the 99,000 posts on here with guys who haven't done any work for themselves other than the google machine.

No offense taken. Every forum has "that guy" that trolls and seems to crap on everyone else. It's all good.

I also drove 80 miles round trip today and went to two more LGS and just got home. Annoying that many shops aren't letting you actually handle the firearms right now because of "the virus". I think I've settled on the T3x Stainless. I've handled more expensive rifles and some feel really nice, but given that this is my first rifle and I have a few other things to buy (scope, binoculars, decent footwear, etc.) I think I can really utilize the money saved and put it toward other high quality gear. If it was a toss up between spending more for a more accurate rifle I'd for sure shell out for the more expensive rifle, but the Tikka seems like it's a great tool to get the job done.

Spoonbill

WKR
No offense taken. Every forum has "that guy" that trolls and seems to crap on everyone else. It's all good.

I also drove 80 miles round trip today and went to two more LGS and just got home. Annoying that many shops aren't letting you actually handle the firearms right now because of "the virus". I think I've settled on the T3x Stainless. I've handled more expensive rifles and some feel really nice, but given that this is my first rifle and I have a few other things to buy (scope, binoculars, decent footwear, etc.) I think I can really utilize the money saved and put it toward other high quality gear. If it was a toss up between spending more for a more accurate rifle I'd for sure shell out for the more expensive rifle, but the Tikka seems like it's a great tool to get the job done.
Tikka makes wood and laminate stock models too, I know a couple people have mentioned it already. Ive never handled the laminate stock but the walnut stocks are pretty nice. Couple other options out there to the plastic stocks.

Last edited:

16Bore

WKR

Well don’t get your feelings hurt Skoots...seems you came to quite a few conclusions all by yourself. Tikka 30-06 seems way below your standards, but I reckon you’ll suffer through.

Looking forward to the bullet selection and range reports.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
I think you made a good choice for what your criteria was. Tikka’s have a nice smooth action, great adjustable trigger & a stock that is at the top of the affordable rifle list regardless of its “cheap” feel. On top of all that they give you a great platform to install upgrades or build on if you’re ever bitten by the bug.

As for a scope, I might suggest checking out the Zeiss V4 lineup on redhawk rifles from the demo list. Great product at a great price.

Good luck with your purchase & happy shooting & hunting.👍🏻

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Well don’t get your feelings hurt Skoots...seems you came to quite a few conclusions all by yourself. Tikka 30-06 seems way below your standards, but I reckon you’ll suffer through.

Looking forward to the bullet selection and range reports.

Yep, you're that guy for sure. All anyone needs to do is click on your profile and see all the responses you post to people's threads to figure that out. The overwhelming majority of your replies aren't helping anyone at all, you're usually just mocking or criticizing and wasting someone's time and not anything helpful. You come off as a super cocky and everyone else knows nothing in comparison, I had a hard time when going through your replies to see any that offered any actual advice. Seems like I was spot on in my assumption. Why even bother replying and wasting yours and everyone else's time?

16Bore

WKR
Takes more than Google-Fu to figure out the difference between shit and shinola. Your mind was made up before you started the thread, you were just looking for enough validation to pull the trigger, and play the “I know better than anyone card”. All with the admission of not ever owning a rifle.

So here, I’ll save you having to dig through all posts and let you cut to the front of the line.

168 TTSX is where you want to be in the mono world, 167 Scenars from Creedmoor sports for your practice rounds.

Last $0.02...get plenty of eye relief for whatever scope you “chose”. You’ll need it because a 7lb 2oz. ‘06 is going to let you know who’s boss.

Good luck Scoots....

OP
S

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
Made yet another trip to an LGS today and gave each rifle another look. I checked out a Model 70 EW SS again, and yes, the stock does feel a bit more substantial and chunky compared to the Tikka, but although I thought I was set on the Tikka, I actually am going to eat my words about the Winchester because I needed up buying a Model 70 EW SS and putting a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but for my (lack of) experience and intended use I think it's a pretty nice and versatile set-up for someone new to all of this that has no aspirations of being about to hunt long range, and wants one rifle that's pretty darn versatile for hunting mostly deer and pigs, but can also be used down the line if the opportunity ever presented itself to hunt larger game.

16Bore

WKR
Good f’n rifle and plenty capable for longer ranges when you are. Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts fit nice with that set up.