Can't decide on a tent, advice needed!!!

AkReaper

FNG
I was lucky enough to draw early season Delta ram, a couple DC485, and a Revillagigedo Island goat tag. Delta will be 8/8-8/18~. Caribou will be right after but can't do the goat hunt until the first week of October.
There will be 2-3 people on each hunt and the tent will be for if needed on the caribou hunt.

I'm looking at the MSR Mutha Hubba NX 3 man (4lbs 13oz, $550) or the Hilleberg Nallo 3 (5lbs 12oz, $875) GT (7lbs 1oz, $985).
I want to order/buy one sooner than later so I can practice pitching and to start sealing the seams.
Pro/Cons/Experience/Advice anyone can share would be AWESOME!

TIA

sneaky

"DADDY"
For 3 people you would want a 4 man tent, unless you're all really good friends. Neither of those tents require seam sealing as they are seam taped.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Spoonman

WKR
Those are great tents for sure, but you will be sleeping in top of each other. They would be perfect for 2 people. I had the MSR tent for me and my brother but switched to a tent. The tent has tons of room and is half the weight. You could get a hot tipi and come in at 6lbs all in.

What about a SO Redcliff? Lighter. Plenty of room for 2-3. I have one. It's an amazing palace of a tent that is easy to use.

I have a Nallo 4 GT. It is amazing bomber tent, but seems like overkill for Oct. Delta. Nothing wrong with overkill.

2 roomy 2 person tents for sure.

My personal vote would be a TarpTent Stratospire2 or Durston XMid2.

Decker9

WKR
I run a mutha hubba for family trips and a nallo 2 for couple trips. The hilleberg is night/day difference in all aspects of quality (including weight too though). The msr is nice and light, but is also disposable ime. My first msr was the hhnx, I only got 4 seasons out of it before the rain fly started to rot and tear. So far we only have one season on the mutha hubba. The gear shed was a nice addition to both msr tents.

The mutha hubba fits my 3 person family just right, but 3 grown men would be shoulder to shoulder I’d think (though one could nearly fit in the gear shed)

Something else to consider, is the free standing. The nallo can be a pita to pitch, I personally prefer free standing style.

I’d recommend getting a solo tent and encourage the other guys to do the same. That way you’re not stuck with a large/heavy 4-man tent on future hunts where you may be hunting with just one buddy. Also, having your own space is nice, as opposed to having to spoon with three dudes. The Hilleberg Akto has been great for sheep hunts. My hunting partner also has an Akto. The footprints are small, making it possible to pitch in places that other tents wouldn’t be able to. For hunts with three guys, like for moose where you won’t be backpacking, I’d recommend going to the other end of the spectrum and get an 8-man tipi with a titanium wood stove. Trying to have a single tent to cover everything makes too many compromises. If I had to choose just one tent.......it’d be a solo tent and then bring a tarp (Seek Outside DST) for covering additional gear on base camp style hunts.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Many, many years ago I tapped-out on sharing a tent with hunting buddies...no more of that for me...sleepless nights in a confined snoring marathon and having to foolishly wear ear-plugs all night in bear country.

We each solo in our own two-man tents, and it's a good thing. Over the years through some trial and error we each have acquired a couple of different tents that we can chose dependent upon the hunt...I have a KUIU Mountain Star and a Hilleberg Staika. If I did it all over again and was forced to have just one tent for myself, then I'd likely get a two-person Hilleberg Allak...it's a lighter version of the Staika and that design vents extremely well and is truly bomb-proof. Hille's are crazy expensive, but well worth it if you spend a lot of time in the field in challenging wx conditions and they last...I'm on year seven with my Staika and it gets used for several weeks each year.

To get out of the rain for cooking, etc. I have a SO DST that I bring on weight restricted hunts or a 4-man with stove that I bring for late season base camps.

Edit: BTW congrats on your tags!

Last edited:

MoeJoe517

FNG
We have a 3 man trip planned and I have been trying to convince myself I need to invest in a tipi style set up to accommodate all of us but I am now...also starting to lean towards each man having their own tent. One thing I don't want to sacrifice is a good night sleep and this crew has some snorers :)

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have the MSR Mutha Hubba NX 4. It would be tight for 3 men and gear, but workable. The fabric is thin and while the low design should shed wind well I would not relish using it in heavy winds.

A Seek Outside Redcliff would be my recommendation for 3 men. I have used my SO Silvertip on Revillagigedo and floorless works great, even with all the rain. The SO tipis will hold up to weather that would crush the MSR Hubbas.

Small tents are easier to pitch and will give you more options for setting up camp. The only reason I would take a large tent is if I was bringing a wood stove for it.

bsnedeker

WKR
I shared a tent with my father in law on my first backpacking hunt... never again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TexasCub

WKR
I have a Nallo 4 GT. It is amazing bomber tent, but seems like overkill for Oct. Delta. Nothing wrong with overkill.
For 3 guys that Nallo 4 GT would be perfect. Remember sheep and goat hunts can have some serious weather delays throughout the hunt. Nothing worse than being pinned down in a sleeping bag in a small tent for a day or two, that vestibule in the GT would make life so much more enjoyable. Lots of hunts in Alaska that a big sturdy tent is nice, they are not all backpack hunts in wilderness areas like here in the lower 48 mtn states, you’ll use it several times,

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
I’d recommend getting a solo tent and encourage the other guys to do the same. That way you’re not stuck with a large/heavy 4-man tent on future hunts where you may be hunting with just one buddy. Also, having your own space is nice, as opposed to having to spoon with three dudes. The Hilleberg Akto has been great for sheep hunts. My hunting partner also has an Akto. The footprints are small, making it possible to pitch in places that other tents wouldn’t be able to. For hunts with three guys, like for moose where you won’t be backpacking, I’d recommend going to the other end of the spectrum and get an 8-man tipi with a titanium wood stove. Trying to have a single tent to cover everything makes too many compromises. If I had to choose just one tent.......it’d be a solo tent and then bring a tarp (Seek Outside DST) for covering additional gear on base camp style hunts.
Been looking at the Akto, seems like a solid option. Nemo Kunai 2P seems nice as well.

Anyone here have any experience with the Stone Glacier 2 man tent? I'm in the same boat but looking for a 2 man or solo. I've owned a Hilly Nallo 2 sice 07 but it's getting a little worn out these days.

CO-AJ

WKR
I did the SO Cimarron DCF with a nest. Weighs nothing, I can almost stand in it, can also run a stove in it. Huge for 1 easily would fit 2 + gear. Leave the nest at home and I think you are around 18-20 ozs. No seam sealing required, grab a piece of tyvek for a floor and the CF center pole. Good to go.

D

Deleted member 52995

You can try a Kodiak Flexbow 10x14, they're great....Downside is set up takes about 1 hour... 🕐 ---> 🕑 ... 😎👍