Cant Decide On New Optics Setup (Kestrel/Bino/Rangefinder)

bamagun

FNG
I have to pick up some new binos in the next week (gotta send my Victory HTs in to have new lenses put on because Ive scratched them so bad) and havent been able to decide which route to go (Im deployed overseas right now, so I dont have the option of putting any of them in my hand before I buy). I just picked up a Kestrel Elite, so I want my rangefinder to link up which limits my options slightly. Here are my options
Leica 3200.com-and dont worry about separate rangefinder
Zeiss SF/Swaro EL + Leica/Sig rangefinder (bushnell makes a rangefinder that links too, but havent given them any thought)
NL Pure is off the table due to shipping timeline..
Im a huge Zeiss guy and Ive thought about the Victory RF, but the inability to link to the kestrel takes them off the table I think. Ive never owned a kestrel, so maybe Im putting too much stock into being able to link the rangefinder with it, but for hunting purposes, I think that feature is a huge timesaver (especially for someone new to using a kestrel).

I guess, in all that rambling, my question is, am I putting to much emphasis on the link and is there is enough of an optical difference between the 3200.com and Victory RF to warrant having to fat finger distance? Also, the Swaro EL + 2400BDX/2800.com combo is going to set me back the same cash as the Geovid 3200....

Anyone with experience with kestrels and optics let me know your opinions

OP
B

bamagun

FNG
I’ve got the Leica 2800.com & 5700 Elite.
Works Really well.

Thanks. Do you just get the correction off of the rangefinder or do you still go to the kestrel for that info? I know it links and shows the solution in the viewer, but do you find yourself still going to the kestrel or do you just turn it on and never mess with it again?

Last edited:

HuntnPack

WKR
Kestral links up with rangefinder & solution is shown in rangefinder.
Rangefinder also has onboard ballistic function if you want/need to use as standalone unit.

OP
B

bamagun

FNG
Kestral links up with rangefinder & solution is shown in rangefinder.
Rangefinder also has onboard ballistic function if you want/need to use as standalone unit.

Yeah, Im tracking all that. Im just curious if the link feature has made a big impact in how you use the kestrel vs before you had the link capes... I should have worded that previous question better than what I did... sorry about that..

HuntnPack

WKR
I use the onboard ballistics with a custom curve, it provides a basic solution & a generic
Wind hold. Good out to approx. 1000 yds.
Actually works well.
what the linked kestral adds is a more refined
Solution with real time environmental data
& the ability to make adjustments.
also extends the range solution to as far as the rangefinders ability. I’m new to this setup
So lots to learn yet.
I think I can input a custom curve using the onboard ballistics & then also input a different one that utilizes the Kestral.
This may work well as a backup system.
these two units can also be utilized in other ways with a phone & ballistic apps, or pre
Printed range card system. Lots of options.

Last edited:
If you decide to go with a separate rangefinder I would go with the Gunwerks. It's a great rangefinder. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!

OP
B

bamagun

FNG
I use the onboard ballistics with a custom curve, it provides a basic solution & a generic
Wind hold. Good out to approx. 800 yds.
Actually works well.
what the linked kestral adds is a more refined
Solution with real time environmental data
& the ability to make adjustments.
also extends the range solution to as far as the rangefinders ability. I’m new to this setup
So lots to learn yet.
I think I can input a custom curve using the onboard ballistics & then also input a different one that utilizes the Kestral.
This may work well as a backup system.
these two units can also be utilized in other ways with a phone & ballistic apps, or pre
Printed range card system. Lots of options.

Ok, thanks for the info. Im leaning towards one of the Leica options for sure because it sounds like a very convenient way to utilize the kestrel. I just hope I dont sacrifice optical performance in the binocular in order to link with a kestrel Ill use rarely, at best.

I had a pair of the geovid hdb for last 3 or 4 years and just sold them just to try something different. They were awesome it's a great system i think the .com would be better just because of the interface . The glass is great never had an issue with mine. I just picked up a 2800 .com to play around with but haven't tried it out yet

Brendan

WKR
This thread's a couple weeks old, and you may have already purchased, but one thing to think about (if for hunting) is how fast you can use it in the field.

I like the Sig Kilo 2400 ABS, because you just range, dial, shoot. All environmentals and Applied Ballistics within the Rangefinder, phone app optional. Only thing you don't have is wind. Not perfect, but not sure I want to be screwing around with my kestrel and a rangefinder or binos and maybe a phone app when I'm trying to make a shot on an animal. I'm not as experienced as some here, but so far I've gotten first round hits on steel out to ~870 yards with this setup in low to moderate gusting winds.

I am playing around with my Kestrel too, and will likely carry it with me to verify data, test wind when have time on my hands or time to set up.