Can't decide what to do - OR Alpine Bivy

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All,

I have an Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy, which is a great piece of equipment but feels a bit too claustrophobic to me and is honestly a bit snug at 6'1" (or maybe that's just the claustrophobia). I am picking up a Jimmy Tarps shelter that can't close (open front) and don't mind the extra protection of a nest/bivy ect but I'm just trying to decide if the bivy is overkill/too heavy for inside another shelter. Never used a tarp before, and am honestly a little nervous about a shelter that's wide open in snake country. I don't find many issues with bugs in Eastern Oregon.

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, but I'd be interested in thoughts/opinions about packing a 4 season bivy AND tarp, or alternatives to this idea.

Anyway, any input is appreciated.

I've been using a floorless mid and bivy for all my mountain hunts now going on 5 years, but I use an UL (6 oz.) bivy. I think a 4 season bivy is way over kill when combined with a shelter. We don't have snakes in AK so I have no experience with that issue, but I would think that a 4 season bivy wouldn't provided any extra protection against snakes than a UL bivy would.

Jimss

WKR
I like room..especially when hunting in wet weather. It's super nice being able to dry things out at camp. It could be a challenge changing clothes when it's raining out in a bivy! I can't imagine a bivy for more than a night or 2 in bad weather. You may want to take a look at a tipi or Tarptent? I bought a bivy around 5 years ago and have never used it! If I want to go ultra-light I use the fly off my Hilleberg Nallo tent. I often bring a painters plastic (buy at Home Depot). The Nallo fly is bomber-proof and ultra-roomy. If it snows I can always add the tent body and footprint. The fly, poles, and painters plastic weigh around 2 lbs. It has gobs of room me plus all my gear and is possible to open up the vestibule on either side to cook. Very nice for extended trips!

Its important to know: bivys can hold moisture against your bag.
I would go with a tarp and a small tarp over your bag
The two UL wt. bivy's that I have both have breathable fabric on top and are designed to be used in combo with some sort of shelter (not stand alone), so condensation between the bag/quilt and bivy has never been a real issue for me.

DaveC

WKR
Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, but I'd be interested in thoughts/opinions about packing a 4 season bivy AND tarp, or alternatives to this idea.

Anyway, any input is appreciated.

Sell the Alpine and get a larger tarp or fully enclosed mid or tent. Bivy sacks make condensation worse and are a poor way to add warmth.