Can't get 120 TTSX's to shoot

I could use some advice here. Out of my 7mm-08 Tikka, the 120 TTSX's shot great, but it seems no matter what I do, I can't get them to group well out of my Howa (2" routinely). The Howa likes the regular TSX's very well though (3/4"), and shoots the 145 LRX's to about an inch.

I've tried seating them deeper and reducing the charge in 0.3g increments down to 1.5 grains less than max. Kinda running out of options at this point. I was planning on the 120 TTSX being my go-to deer bullet but right now, the regular TSX is the best I can find. I have about 20 more 120 TTSX's to play with. Should I just give up and stick with the TSX's?

brsnow

WKR
The 139 and 145 LRX open up down to 1400, the standard ttsx 1800, you might have a longer range with the heavier bullet and sounds like they shoot well.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
You could always try a different powder. What powder are you using? I had decent results with 4895 after trying a few.
I've been using 8208 xbr and it's done really well for me the past two years. Usually the most accurate powder I try for just about anything, and very temp stable. But I do have some 4895 on the shelf and I'll try that next.

lyle, you're probably right. Just looking for ideas on what to do with these last 20 or so TTSX's. If I don't find something with them, then I'm done with that experiment.

N2TRKYS

WKR
My 7-08 shot the factory loaded 120 grain ttsx ammo and my 120 grain NBT handloads. I use Varget for my 120 grain NBTs and Big Game for my 140 grain Partitions.

Good luck.

Rob5589

WKR
Sounds like you've done ample experimenting without success. Just use the bullet the gun likes best.

My T3 7/08 also shoots the 120 TTSX very well.

TauPhi111

WKR
At first I was going to say that I recall the Howa 7mm twist to be pretty slow, so maybe you need a faster twist, but if it is shooting the 145 LRX well then it has to be something else. I would try another powder as well, but if it is shooting the LRX that well I would just use that. Then you wouldn't need to switch loads between deer and larger game. The 145 LRX should do it all.

Axlrod

WKR
I had a 300 that would not shoot the first Barnes i tried. So I tried 3 or 4 diff. powders then I did the same with every .308 Barnes made at the time, still no good. I had a 270 that would shoot every Barnes really well. So i would run with the ones that shoot because sometimes a barrel doesn't like what your feeding it. Or get some Hammer Hunters they are very easy to get shooting well, if you want/need mono's.

OP
Newtosavage
but if it is shooting the LRX that well I would just use that. Then you wouldn't need to switch loads between deer and larger game. The 145 LRX should do it all.

That was the idea behind trying the 145 LRX's. I would have tried the 139 LRX's but couldn't find them anywhere so I figured 6 grains couldn't make that much difference. Glad to know they shoot pretty well as I was testing them in case I went after elk with that rifle. But for our little TX whitetails and even most muleys, the 145 LRX are almost overkill.

tunafed

FNG
I had good luck with BL-C2 and CFE 223 with the 120 ttsx out of my T3. CFE was a little faster (3240 fps) but the BL-C2 had better ES numbers. That said personally I'd probably stick with the 145's if they are shooting well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cmahoney

WKR
I stopped messing with Barnes bullets and went to hammers. First load with hammers was sub MOA. They were worth the extra cost for the time and components they saved me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauPhi111

WKR
That was the idea behind trying the 145 LRX's. I would have tried the 139 LRX's but couldn't find them anywhere so I figured 6 grains couldn't make that much difference. Glad to know they shoot pretty well as I was testing them in case I went after elk with that rifle. But for our little TX whitetails and even most muleys, the 145 LRX are almost overkill.

I doubt you'd notice much difference between the 145 and thd 120. You'll likely get pass throughs 99% of the time with both, and you might even see more meat damage with the 120s since they'll be moving faster.

OP
Newtosavage
Run up the powder charge .5 grains at a time until you see pressure signs... My 270 WSM likes the TTSX HOT... Like 3560fps hot....
I have 10 worked up at 0.2g increments right now. Going to head to the range this week and see when the pressure signs show up. I have yet to see any pressure signs with the 120 TTSX's so I suspect this may be the next course of action. Thanks.

OP
Newtosavage
Might have gotten one step closer at the range this morning. This is how my workup went with H4895 (4.29 might have been me a little?) Peaked at 42.9 then came back down and settled in at 43.6-44.2.

Sticky bolt lift showed up at 44.2 but not before. I think I'm going to load up five at 44 grains and see if she groups. If so, I'll be thrilled. I really want this bullet to work for this rifle.

Hodgdon shows 43.7 as book max for 120 grain BT's, so 44 would be a hair over published max. Should be running somewhere around 3K if not a hair over.

What do you all think?

IMG_3822.JPG