Can’t get enough elevation

auphus1

FNG
I recently bought a VX5 for my Weatherby MarkV. I mounted it with my Leupold 2 piece rings and bases that I used previously. When I boresighted I was only able to get 5 MOA adjustment when I dialed it up. I bought new Talley lightweights and I’m experiencing the same thing. What is my best option? Shim the rear base? Try another ring and base setup? Bring it to a gunsmith? Or should I just zero it and leave it? I’d like to be able to dial it.

Rob5589

WKR
Have you actually shot it or just a quick bore sight? Some rings are front and rear, so double check that. I would shoot it first and zero at 100 yds then double check what you actually have left elevation wise.

Recently had this problem with a Browning X Bolt using their combined scope ring/bases with a Leupold VX-5HD. Problem was that the bases are different for front and rear, and there is actually an F and an R on the bottoms of the bases, but I did not know to look for that until I could not bore sight the scope. So, definitely check to see if your bases are different front and rear.

On the other hand, I had a Refield scope (at that time they were made by Leupold but not anymore; now made by Academy Sports) where I ran out of elevation on two different rifles using two different types of bases and where I was sure the base orientation was correct. When it happened on the first rifle, I shimmed the back ring thinking that something was wrong with the way the rifle was drilled/tapped. then later when moving the scope to a different rifle with different bases, I had same issue and figured out something must be wrong with the scope itself. I had an identical Redfield scope mounted on a still different rifle that was fine, no problems running out of elevation. So, sometimes the scope itself is just "not exactly perfect" and needs to be shimmed.

OP
A

auphus1

FNG
I recently bought a VX5 for my Weatherby MarkV. I mounted it with my Leupold 2 piece rings and bases that I used previously. When I boresighted I was only able to get 5 MOA adjustment when I dialed it up. I bought new Talley lightweights and I’m experiencing the same thing. What is my best option? Shim the rear base? Try another ring and base setup? Bring it to a gunsmith? Or should I just zero it and leave it? I’d like to be able to dial it.
Thanks for the suggestions. I did double check to make sure the front and rear bases were correct. They will only work one way as the distances between the mounting screws are different front to rear. I can’t imagine that there is a problem with the scope because l can dial it up and down and the reticle moves significantly. I was hoping to figure something out before I started sending rounds down range. I only have 40 rounds as of now and haven’t been able to find any more.

hehaka bloka

Lil-Rokslider
I've recently had some issues with Leupold scopes and bases. After 2 or 3 days of buying multiple rings and bases, I took it in to a gunsmith and they had to shim the bases. Good luck!!

Antares

WKR

It's been suggested already, but you should definitely zero it on paper and then see where you're at (as opposed to just bore sighting).

Wrench

WKR
I really like the burris inserts for this situation. I can put them on a 20moa base and swap inserts to get me within a few minutes of max adjustment.