Can’t get lucky on the couch

carter33

WKR
Went out this morning and had a bit of luck shooting a bull, not a monster by moose standards but a trophy to me. I had an epic float hunt planned for moose this fall but my wife is pregnant and due early October so I nixed that. I had this weekend to go out and though I doubted success I kept telling myself you can’t get lucky sitting on the couch. Made it out to the trail early this morning and got to a vantage point to start calling and sure enough the bull started coming my way. It wasn’t long before I could hear it grunting. I would grunt back and it would pause and listen then walk my way. After the bull was down I realized I was solo about a mile from the trail and two more miles on the trail. A bit overwhelming but I only have one quarter left to grab tomorrow morning.

After running out for numerous long shot weekend hunts the last words I said was I probably won’t get lucky but one of these days a short hunt will work. Today was that day and couldn’t be happier.

Attachments

• 4BC93D8C-F779-4ED2-B85C-C85D96F9BBC8.jpeg
    4BC93D8C-F779-4ED2-B85C-C85D96F9BBC8.jpeg
    628.9 KB · Views: 195
  • CA079DCF-605D-44CB-903E-4A2ACEA8FB44.jpeg
    CA079DCF-605D-44CB-903E-4A2ACEA8FB44.jpeg
    575.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 1BFE0D83-FDDF-4F84-82ED-3BADA6EB1C98.jpeg
    1BFE0D83-FDDF-4F84-82ED-3BADA6EB1C98.jpeg
    657.7 KB · Views: 194

keller

WKR
Nice work taking advantage of your available time alot of people myself included would have said it's not enough time to hunt I will just get something done around the house instead.it will be some fine eating!!! Congratulations!!!

hammerguy

FNG
Went out this morning and had a bit of luck shooting a bull, not a monster by moose standards but a trophy to me. I had an epic float hunt planned for moose this fall but my wife is pregnant and due early October so I nixed that. I had this weekend to go out and though I doubted success I kept telling myself you can’t get lucky sitting on the couch. Made it out to the trail early this morning and got to a vantage point to start calling and sure enough the bull started coming my way. It wasn’t long before I could hear it grunting. I would grunt back and it would pause and listen then walk my way. After the bull was down I realized I was solo about a mile from the trail and two more miles on the trail. A bit overwhelming but I only have one quarter left to grab tomorrow morning.

After running out for numerous long shot weekend hunts the last words I said was I probably won’t get lucky but one of these days a short hunt will work. Today was that day and couldn’t be happier.
Great photos, beautiful - and I bet very tasty - moose, but most importantly, watching outdoor channel from the couch isn't getting it done. A 3yr planned, multi-day back country hunt isn't always required to be a hunter. Congrats again!

OP
carter33

carter33

WKR
I know its a moose and all, but damn the body huge!! Congrats

Yes they are monsters, I was feeling confident but starting on it alone I realized I was in for a real chore. Couldn’t help but smile through the whole, but arduous, process.

Helluva fine job! Apparently there are some perks to living in Fairbanks.

Way to make the best of it!

SFH

Couldn’t ask for a better place to live. On weekend hunts/long weekends this fall I’ve been off on bear, caribou and moose hunts and been fortunate enough to be successful on the latter two.

Dang, that looks like Grizz Country!!

It is that. I have seen grizzly not far from this spot. I was kicking myself for leaving back straps in the last load but luckily nothing had gotten to it. Brought a 45/70 though in chance a bear was on it.

Jimbob

WKR
Cool, exactly my plan for moose this year. I got a place 1 hour from my front door to calling spot. Hoping to make it happen during the short archery season.