Can't get my outserts to stay on my VAP SS shafts

lanemj

FNG
I run VAP SS arrows with the Valkyrie centerpin sleeve (.249) and 200 grain centerpin target tips (centerpin sleeves and tips were suggested by Valkyrie). I used the Max Impact sleeve glue (sold by Valkyrie) as directed and let it set for 72 hours. When I shot them (at straw targets encased with canvas), every single sleeve and tip came off. I was able to recover only a couple, making it an expensive day at the range. Now, these things flew well and hit VERY hard. However, I've got to figure out how to get these sleeves to stay on the shaft. Any advice?

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the finish on the arrow that prevents the adhesive from really setting.

In case you're not familiar with Valkyrie Archery:

Sleeves: https://valkyriearchery.com/shop/viking-centerpin-sleeves/
Glue: https://valkyriearchery.com/shop/max-impact-glue/
Target tips: https://valkyriearchery.com/shop/target-tips/

Thanks in advance!

Zac

WKR
There really isn't a great solution to this. This is the main reason I stopped shooting them. Sanding the shaft will help. I bought some 72 hour epoxy from Bishop. Never ended up using it because I switched to Axis anyway. Too bad you didn't just go with the Snyder Core system.

406unltd

WKR
I sand the shaft where the sleeve contacts. Then I clean both the inside of the sleeve and the sanded section of the shaft with 91% alcohol. Once dry I use my spray bottle to lightly wet the sanded shaft area and inside of the sleeve. Then I use the original gorilla glue and put a thin band around the end of the shaft and spin the sleeve around and up/down till completely coated. Stand them upright with nocks up and I weigh down the top end and leave them for 24hrs. I have only had a couple start to barely spin on me when tightening the points. But even then I just pop the nock off and slide a drill bit inside the shaft with the chucked end towards the point and swing it downwards to knock out the sleeve and point and just re sand and glue it up again. Ever since I switched to that glue a couple years ago I haven’t lost a point yet. I shoot into a 365 target and the stacked carpet targets at our local range so it might be worth a try. Good luck

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
I sand the shaft where the sleeve contacts. Then I clean both the inside of the sleeve and the sanded section of the shaft with 91% alcohol. Once dry I use my spray bottle to lightly wet the sanded shaft area and inside of the sleeve. Then I use the original gorilla glue and put a thin band around the end of the shaft and spin the sleeve around and up/down till completely coated. Stand them upright with nocks up and I weigh down the top end and leave them for 24hrs. I have only had a couple start to barely spin on me when tightening the points. But even then I just pop the nock off and slide a drill bit inside the shaft with the chucked end towards the point and swing it downwards to knock out the sleeve and point and just re sand and glue it up again. Ever since I switched to that glue a couple years ago I haven’t lost a point yet. I shoot into a 365 target and the stacked carpet targets at our local range so it might be worth a try. Good luck
Spray bottle?

406unltd

WKR
Ya just the spray bottle filled with water that I use when I cut my sons hair. He just needs to wet it down a little before glueing if wants to try it.

TheTone

WKR
I think it’s just kind of part of dealing with bag targets and an insert/outsert system that isn’t flush with the shaft. I started shooting the black eagle spartans last year and the insert has a small taper to it, they’re the only insert I’ve ever had pull out in a bag target in close to 20 years of using the same arrow prep and epoxy

Zac

WKR
That Valkyrie system is just flawed IMO. The only connection to the carbon is the outsert. Even the complete builds Brent mailed me eventually loosened and fell off. Why anyone would go micro is beyond me. However if you want to do it, the only system that is rock solid for componentry is the Snyder Core system from Ironwill.

BowhuntingBrune3

Lil-Rokslider
I SHOOT BLACK EAGLE DEEP IMPACTS AND HAD THE SAME ISSUE. I STARTED USING KIMSHI HOT MELT AND HAVE NOT HAD AN ISSUE SINCE.