Can't get peep aligned.. HELP

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would take the peep out and shoot the bow about 50 times. Then reinstall it where you want it and draw it back a few times without shooting it to make sure it's not twisting on the draw. If it's not, tie it in. If it is, send it back.

wapitibob

WKR
Good strings don't need shot in. The 100 shots came from winners choice when they first started building strings and the process has progressed a ton since then.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always shoot my strings in before putting the peep in. I'll set the string and cables up to my specs and measurements from before and then do some bare shaft tuning at 20. I'll make any needed adjustments and then shoot some more. Once the bare shafts and fletched are good at 20, I'll put the peep in and then start shooting long range.

TX_Diver

WKR
If you have it 180 degrees from where you need it just pull it out and turn it around?

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
If your peep is twisting while you are drawing it is a string issue. If it is not twisting while drawing back but it is at the wrong angle then you need to add 1/2 twist at a time. Solocam strings can be a bitch, especially ones with a lot of serving on them.

1) Contact the string builder
2) anywhere from 1/2 twist to 2 twists (in 1/2 twist increments will get you there)
3) if your peep ends up 180 degrees then just flip it around while in the press
4) Do not start flipping strands from 1 side to another...the peep belongs in the center of the bundle (easy to tell if 2 colors, if one color then there should have been a loose piece of string material marking the center of the 2 bundles.
5) with solo cams I always had the best luck doing all the twisting to the end that has your peep, center serving etc.
Thanks for this response. I think I'm going to contact the builder and see what he says. The peep definitely does twist some while drawing back so I think there may be a bigger issue going on. Even half twists seems to move the peep too far.

I've tried flipping it backwards in the press when it was 180 from where it was supposed to be but when I press the bow, even slightly, the peep begins to twist out of position so when I end up letting the pressure off the limbs in the press it twists back into an improper position.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
I don't care who built the string. If its stretching and rotating out of the gate, it's going to keep rotating. It wasn't prestreched for either enough time or at enough tension. It happens.
You wasting your time playing tricks and using half ass bandaids.

After the dozen or so shots the serving will be settled in the cam tracks and you shouldn't have any movement at all.
That's crossed my mind for sure. All the strings come advertised as "pre-stretched" nowadays so I was thinking there shouldn't be any real long break in process.

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR
Contacted the builder and he replied in less than two minutes saying he'll build another set and ship it out. Great customer service at least... Hopefully the new set doesn't pose nearly as many issues. Thanks again everybody

Trial153

WKR
Mike is good guy, he will get you squared away in short order. Good on you reaching out to him.

This is assuming the peep has the same number of strands on either side and is splitting the string correctly:

If you changed the twist of the string so much that you lost 5# of draw weight, odds are decent that you took twists out, which therefore means you may have loosened the serving and changed the lay of the strands. That can equate to a bit of issue in keeping the string At proper tension and cause rotation.

Rob5589

WKR
This is assuming the peep has the same number of strands on either side and is splitting the string correctly:

If you changed the twist of the string so much that you lost 5# of draw weight, odds are decent that you took twists out, which therefore means you may have loosened the serving and changed the lay of the strands. That can equate to a bit of issue in keeping the string At proper tension and cause rotation.
Good point

OP
Rodéo

Rodéo

WKR

There are the same number of strands on either side but I think your second point may be spot on. It's very possible twisting and untwisting the strings so much got me to where I'm at now, but doesn't explain why the peep wouldn't stay put when I first put the strings on.

Rob5589

WKR
There are the same number of strands on either side but I think your second point may be spot on. It's very possible twisting and untwisting the strings so much got me to where I'm at now, but doesn't explain why the peep wouldn't stay put when I first put the strings on.
Untwisting too much can ruin a good serving job. I had a shop install a set and they untwisted them so far they strands were nearly straight. The strings were ruined and bow was wayyy out of tune. Glad to hear he's getting you some new ones. Let us know how it goes.