CanvasCamp

bdg848

WKR
I also want to know about Bell tents. Some seem to be geared towards "glamping" but only a few mention hunting use. I'm sure they work for hunting too but how do they hold up for back county use compared to wall tents? Is there a reason more guys are using the wall tent vs bells? They seem a lot easier to set up than wall tents.

bdg848

WKR
You would also think the conical shape of a bell tent would be better than the vertical walls on a wall tent for dealing with the wind.

I have interest in these bell tents. I am doing a solo winter snowmobile camp next week and these seem much lighter than a wall tent with the single pole set up. I dont think they can replace a regular wall tent though due to limited size.

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
I had a military surplus artic tent of similar design with a full liner and stove jack. Made a wonderful base camp and if I for see needing a base camp again I will buy another. However, like most things there are some downsides; 1) it was nearly impossible to put up by yourself but could be done after figuring out the tricks and 2) very short door so you had to hunch way down getting in and out.

lit you watch Robby Denning’s latest video it looks like he is using the same tent.

Any updates out there? I'm looking at these for family camping. 100% done with cheap plastic dome tents for family trips.

davecason

FNG
Hi Guys,

Go with a Sibley 500 Protech and a CampChef CS-14 or a Cylinder Stoves.com – Hunter model either one is OK but I like my CampChef better.

With the stove I did the same thing as everyone else – bought an Exit 45 when I got the tent and tossed it in long the right hand side of the tent. It works of course and its out of the way but at -38 you start to realize that you waste a ton of heat.

If you look at the picture you see the stove dropped in the same way everyone does it, and it looks “normal” but go get a measuring tape and see. You only have about 18” inches of stovepipe still in the tent and the other 8 feet of it is completely wasted. Why heat up the outside, you’re in the tent !

old spot.jpg

So I removed the Exit 45 and ordered an Exit 1 Stove Jack and installed it up at the top of the tent and have never looked back! (and yes I had the hold patched professionally)

new spot 2.jpg
I now have 8 feet of stove pipe in the tent and the heat is even better because its right in the middle of the tent And distributes that glorious heat off the stove pipe all the way to the top and drying stuff of the coat racks you can get from Canvas Camp is a breeze ……

new spot.jpg

It went in perfectly and the tent is comfy as heck now at -38 ( the coldest so far) anyway it’s not required but I think if you point it out to folks who use Canvas Camp tents, you’ll have a ton of happy cold weather campers going forward.

stove jack.jpg

Oh and by the way having 3 gallons of hot water always around is pure heaven the stove tanks are fantastic. Anyway my unboxing vid has 14K views so I guess people love your tents as much as I do !

IMHO tho for sure get the ProTech model - everything is tougher and stronger and more rugged - better fabric, and floor material and he poles and pegs and everything is better.

If you've ever used a wall tent - they're nice but a real bitch to setup - this thing 10 mins !
Poof done ! I actually got mine in 2014 and had it shipped from Belgium to Canada.

Cheers’
Dave