Canyon hunting in SW Idaho

King68

FNG
Hey Folks, going to be hunting Unit 46 early to mid October this year, have both mule deer & elk tags. Anyone have any experience hunting this unit? Any general suggestions for hunting river canyons? Plan to take a scouting trip in early August. Used to hunting the high country of Nevada, PJ, aspen groves, but this unit seems bare with the exception of the riparian environment of the canyons. Any though would be appreciated.

GregB

WKR
For elk in 46 you have to be on or within 1 mile of private ag land so that is going to limit your options. Welcome to the forum.

OP
King68

King68

FNG
Thanks for the heads up, I was looking at the eastern side of the unit along Salmon Falls Creek.

I am also going to be hunting this unit for elk. If anyone has hunted this unit and has any general info that would be great. I know it is limited with regulations being within 1 mile of private. Also wondering if anyone has any info on a good time frame.

ID_Matt

WKR
You will be disappointed with the lack of game. Not uncommon to go days on end without seeing something besides speed goats and cattle. There is very few resident deer and elk. Expect to put many miles on the pickup and lots of hours on the glass to turn something up