Cape tanning service in Fairbanks?

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any places you can drop off a caribou cape in Fairbanks and have the completed cape mailed to your home in the lower 48?
Just looking at the best option for mounting a caribou if I am able to shoot a nice one. What do most people do?

JDeck

FNG
It's likely cheapaer to fly it home with you as checked baggage. Otherwise Fairbanks Fur Tannery is who I'd call.

I’ll add a bit of context…. If you decide to leave it in Fairbanks with any of the “tanneries”, you’re doing so at your own risk. I have several friends that tried the easy route and either received complete crap work or they are still waiting (years) for their returned hides.

Keep the hide dry, clean and cool. Then roll up small in something that will not leak and bring home on your flight. I’ve done this all over the place and it works just fine, plus then you can send to a reputable tannery.

The quality taxidermists in town do not use local tanning options, if that tells you anything.

OP
Y

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. Seems when making a hunting trip to Alaska best to take everything with you and bring it all back. That extra baggage cost will be high. I have Alaska Air card which will help some.

seashift

FNG
In 2016 we left three caribou racks and two hides with Fairbanks fur tannery. The racks were tanned to fix the velvet great! And shipped as freight to our local airport. ……… the hides?????? Never got them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk