Caping - "Turning the ears"???

FLAK

WKR
Would someone please explain the process of turning the ears on a cape for the taxidermist. I've caped many a head but never "turned the ears" on one.
I've always jus cut the ears off at the base and threw the head in the freezer/cooler.

manitou1

WKR
Turning the ears is one of the most difficult and tedious jobs of a taxidermist IMO. Easy to screw up... badly. Best to leave the ear turning to the taxi. I used to have a taxidermy business, but it got so busy I wasn't hunting any more. The old adage: "never turn your passion into a business" is all too true.
Ear spreaders (ear turning tool) and an exacto knife were my preference. The skin is like wet toilet paper and can be torn easily.

Ditto what was said above. I do all of my own, but I wait until I get home and have the tools and time to do a good job. It only takes one wrong move to blow one apart, your taxidermist will be grateful if you let him do it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
Turning the ears is one of the most difficult and tedious jobs of a taxidermist IMO. Easy to screw up... badly. Best to leave the ear turning to the taxi. I used to have a taxidermy business, but it got so busy I wasn't hunting any more. The old adage: "never turn your passion into a business" is all too true.
Ear spreaders (ear turning tool) and an exacto knife were my preference. The skin is like wet toilet paper and can be torn easily.
everything said here couldn’t be more true. Leave it to the professionals. I hated turning them also when I mounted deer