Car camping bag

isu22andy

WKR
Anyone have any suggestions on a bag to car camp with in November in Montana ? Not looking to spend a fortune . Don’t really give a rats ass how light weight it is cause I’m moving it 20 feet at most . Classic Coleman -20 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
I use two bags I already have, even a heavy blanket thrown over top as well.

work765

WKR
My favorite car camp sleeping bag I got for $5 at a garage sale :)

WKR
I bought the badlands cinder -10 for 80 bucks on sale. Definitely a car camping or tent sleeping bag. Going to try it out in Colorado this year. I have used the 0 degree Coleman bag from walmart and a thick blanket in a tent for 2nd season Colorado based at 9k. I slept warm and toasty, didnt want to get out of the bag. I think that bag was like 50 bucks. I think you will do just fine on a with a coleman bag and extra blankets if needed.

JoeDirt

WKR
I truck camp, I just use a cheap fleece lined Coleman. Always carry an extra blanket or two. My mattress pad is 4" foam so plenty of insulation there.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
If you are really on a budget, you could but a military surplus ECWS sleep system for less than $70. It's two bags and a goretex bivy, so you have layering options depending on the weather,and you can slip a sleeping pad into the goretex bivy so you can't roll off of it.

That .mil ecwcs bag system can be had for under 100. I have used them in single digits and they work. Only issue is they are 10 pounds so you don’t want to carry them unless you have to.

Old_Navy

Lil-Rokslider
Any of the Big Agnes 'Park Series". I run the Whisky park
0 deg. The bag comes in at 6 lbs. 10 oz.
I'm 6' 5 & 280 & have plenty of room to roll around
in it.

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't purchased this yet, but Sportsman's Guide Gear Canvas Hunter Sleeping Bag, -30°F looks like a solid option for truck camping (all i do at the current moment).

OP
isu22andy

isu22andy

WKR
Thanks for the replies , will have to do some research. I see the Wiggys FTRSS bags add quite a bit of cost - I see they also add quite a bit of warmth. Are these needed to use the bag or am I fine without them ? Temp rating for a November Montana hunt ? Wall tent of course with some possible heat.

Last edited:

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
Anything under 100 or am I asking for disaster ?

Just got one from scheels, same exact application your looking at, Alps -10 or something feels solid, good zippers, and a cotton feel instead of that silk/nylon sweat inducing material... it was right at 100$... I’m happy with it

JoeDirt

WKR
Is that bed frame custom made or were you able to buy it somewhere ?? Looks like a pretty nice set up
Its custom, I made it out of some interior grade plywood. No hardware just plywood and UHMW strips. Also painted with some thick boat paint. Ive had 500lbs in the drawer and it slides great! If you were to see the front I have a 145 quart RTIC cooler for game meat. I just added a pressurized keg for 15 gallons of drinking water. My goal is to be able to spend a few weeks hunting out of state without needed supplies......