car camping family tent

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I have always been avid backpackers with lightweight gear. But my wife and I just had a baby and the priorities have changed. We will still do the backpacking and hunting, but the casual car camping or base camp will be more frequent. I've never shopped for larger tents (sometimes called outfitter tents). I've looked at Kifaru and Cabelas outback tents, and large dome tents in 8 person size. Does anybody have suggestions? I like Kifaru but they are not free standing. Weight and pack size is not a big deal.

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
I used to work at REI, and I have always been a fan of their Base Camp models for family tents. Full pole sleeves, and multiple intersections makes for a sturdy design. I have never used one unfortunately, but for the price, and the outstanding Warranty REI offers, I would go that route.
The other option I have personally used and love is the Cabela's Guide series tents (now discontinued). They are another incredibly well thought out tent. Many people up here in AK still use them. I think the biggest questions to ask are what is your budget? Do you want to stand up? What size of footprint are you looking for?
Cabela's also has a new line of tents to replace the guide series called XWT (extreme weather tents) that are getting good reviews, and again, Cabelas has incredible customer service.

bmart2622

WKR
I bought an REI kingdom 6 tent a couple of years ago after we had our first baby. It has been a great tent, tall enough to stand up in, 2 rooms, large vestibule, we really like it, we have had it in fairly heavy winds and rain and it has held up nicely.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got an alaknak from cabelas that I use occasionally. It has done well, might be more than your looking for, but you can use it as a nice family tent AND a hunting tent when the kid gets a little older ;) The kodiak tents are nice multi purpose tents also.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just depends on what you're looking to do in the tent. IMO there's nothing like a quality canvas wall tent. I have a 14x16 and just sold a different 14x16. I love them because they are easy to setup by myself, large enough for a few people and also my 6 foot table to put my cook stove and other stuff on, can easily stand up in them, also can run a wood burner for cold temps, and can't beat them for weather (snow or rain). I usually set mine up for the entire hunting season and it works great. I also take the whole family camping in it, but it does get tight for 5 people.

Four years ago I had a buddy set up his brand new "cabin-style" 2-room tent right next to my wall tent. We left and came back later that day and a storm had come through. His tent was laying almost flat, filled with water, and broke almost every pole. His family stayed in my wall tent that night.

Whisky

WKR
Are you going to be camping a lot in cold weather, where you would want a stove? If so look at canvas. Do you do a lot of base camp hunting with more then 2 people? Might be another reason to consider one.

If not, can't really beat a Cabela's 8 man Alaskan Guide dome tent for car camping. And a Mr Buddy heater does well at taking the chill off in the mornings and evenings... Brother weathered a storm in our's that had most people in the campsite throwing their tents in the garbage during the middle of the night and escaping to vehicles. We have a few years now using one. They are solid!!

I only wish we could get 3 cots in there. Probably can with the right cots, but for 2 people and gear it's awesome. Have had 3 people with air pads in there and that worked well.

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

P9060491.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
I stand corrected. Yes they still offer the Alaskan Guide Series tent, but they changed the entire tent system that was the major selling point of that series- namely the vestibule system.

boom

WKR
car camping? i just plopped down a couple hundred at REI. i got the Kelty 6 man. that thing is HUGE. i can stand up in it..two cots, big dog bed. rolls up into a duffel about the size of a daypack. i wouldnt spend big money on a family tent..i just need something reliable, and can toss up onto the pile of crap in the back of the truck.

i use it solo truck camping, and i can have a table in there. it is kinda nice to be able to stand up to pull on pants when you are sore from days of endless hiking.

OP
R

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for the replies. It will start as a family tent but eventually be used as a base camp tent for hunting. It needs to be tall enough to stand up in, a stove is not a top priority. I'm considering the Cabelas guide because it is free standing (camping and huntign in desert), resonable price, and we can stand up in it. I would probably cut a section of carpet to protect the tent floor from wear and tear. I also like the Cabelas lodge but it is not free standing. thanks for the info.

boom

WKR
thanks for the replies. It will start as a family tent but eventually be used as a base camp tent for hunting. It needs to be tall enough to stand up in, a stove is not a top priority. I'm considering the Cabelas guide because it is free standing (camping and huntign in desert), resonable price, and we can stand up in it. I would probably cut a section of carpet to protect the tent floor from wear and tear. I also like the Cabelas lodge but it is not free standing. thanks for the info.

i forgot!!

congratulations to the wife and yourself..NEW BABY! cool.

JNDEER

WKR
Are you going to be camping a lot in cold weather, where you would want a stove? If so look at canvas. Do you do a lot of base camp hunting with more then 2 people? Might be another reason to consider one.

If not, can't really beat a Cabela's 8 man Alaskan Guide dome tent for car camping. And a Mr Buddy heater does well at taking the chill off in the mornings and evenings... Brother weathered a storm in our's that had most people in the campsite throwing their tents in the garbage during the middle of the night and escaping to vehicles. We have a few years now using one. They are solid!!

I only wish we could get 3 cots in there. Probably can with the right cots, but for 2 people and gear it's awesome. Have had 3 people with air pads in there and that worked well.

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

P9060491.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

I second the Alaskan 8 man. They are a heavy beast, but a bombproof and I love my 8 man!

MattB

WKR
I have an REI model hat I like quite well. Double doors, big vestibules, and plenty of height. We have used our SL5 a number of times as well for 2 adults, 1 kid and 2 dogs, but it is a bit cramped.

colonel00

WKR
I will chime in with a +1 on the Alaskan Guide dome as well. For those that suggested the Outback Lodge, did you have any condensation issues? We used one this year in Alaska for our fishing trip and it just pooled water. Remember, it is just a single wall tent with a floor so any condensation had no where to go.

IMGP2151_zps1015ce1d.jpg

Springbars are very popular. American made. The only requirement is a good stake around the perimeter.

The cheaper Chinese brand are Kodiak (Flexbow). I have their walled cabin tent and had a stove jack added in the roof of the vestibule for cold car camping. I have both versions of the enclosure. We ended up buying a 30' trailer because a thermostat beats the lack of sleep that is already taken away from an infant's normal at-night awakenings. I have tried to sell it on occasion but haven't in a while. It is pretty heavy but cotton is cooler in the summer due to the evaporative effect. I put a canvas tarp over the roof for the embers.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I will chime in with a +1 on the Alaskan Guide dome as well. For those that suggested the Outback Lodge, did you have any condensation issues?

I had an Alaskan Guide 6-man that had horrible condensation issues........yes, would pool in the bottom. That thing also took longer to set up than my wall tent, and could barely fit two guys on cots.