Car camping tent

I am looking for ideas for a car camping tent. Looking for easy set up, maybe 1 piece, no separate fly. Cheap, something I wont really care if it were stolen. Big enough to stand in. Floor.

I have some nice tents but honestly, I dont want to leave them set up. They are expensive and the thought of leaving them makes me uncomfortable.

Mosby

WKR
Sam's or Costco sometimes have large family size Coleman tents for sale. I never compared price but that is probably as good as your going to get for relatively cheap IMO.

Is this something that needs to withstand wind or a snow load?

Also, what is cheap to you? If elk hunting forums have taught me anything, it’s that people have very different ideas of what cheap means.

OP
MuleyFever
It probably would not have to stand up to a lot of snow but wind is a good possibility. Size wise I would want a chair and cot inside. Price wise maybe $250 -$300 or so.

The first thing I think about when you say one piece and fast setup are the Kodiak Canvas tents, but the cheapest one is probably $400.

I can’t picture a synthetic material tent that would have a floor but not have a fly. That would be tough to pull off without having condensation issues.

OP
MuleyFever
Yeah, the condensation would be a thing but I thought a tent that big with just me in it would be OK. I would not be brushing up against the walls. I could leave a window open too if it wasn't raining sideways.

I would try and see if you can find a used kodiak canvas. Regardless of it being big in size, it’s still probably the best all around tent for car camping. Bulletproof and big. I can fit 4 queen air mattresses in the 10x14.

Moserkr

WKR
Found a 15 year old (guess) alaknak for sale with stove and every extra including a new vestibule for $500. Not easy to take up n down fast but really nice for car camping. Maybe look for some used deals online. Before that we used a coleman montana and it worked ok, but always lucked out with fair weather. Having a stove is priceless to me now.

sasquatch

WKR
Is this something you really only need for sleeping? If so get a cot tent. Can fold it up and place back in vehicle everyday. I love mine for running around turkey hunting staying diff places everynight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Checks most of your boxes plus they have 20% off right now for members. I don’t have this model but do have a smaller halfdoom that’s been nothing but great.

Clarence

WKR
For lower end tents, the alps Merrimack holds up decent. Pretty nice for the money, and some nicer features than the cheaper stuff. That said, I had a Coleman sundome for summer family car camping. I hated that tent, but it wouldn't die. Shock cord on a pole broke last summer after 10 years. Got alot of use out of that tent, and I think I paid 90 dollars for it. It was kind of nice having a tent that I really didn't care too much about. Just got a msr habitude 6 to replace it. Even the dog was nervous getting in it. I think she knew horsing around in that thing could have consequences!

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
Is this something you really only need for sleeping? If so get a cot tent. Can fold it up and place back in vehicle everyday. I love mine for running around turkey hunting staying diff places everynight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have looked at these but not having any space to get out of the weather is a big negative.