Car for the Mountains

Elk97

WKR
As already said AWD is best. Sooner or later if you live in MT long enough you will break down and buy an extra set of wheels and have studded snow tires on them for winter. It's not so much being able to go, but to stop.

I didn't read all the replies.
And I wear out cars for work.
But I'd say Subaru or Rav4.
If your of with a sudan, the legacy and Impreza can be had quite a bit cheaper then a forester aka wagon type.
I think beyond the clearance and awd.
The wagon is mighty had and alot more comfortable.
Your seating position is a little more like a truck, aka feet under you some. My forester is a much more handy and comfortable vehicle.
And I've gone thru 4 work cars in 13 years.

h2so4

WKR
Subaru's are over rated and expensive. I had a mazda 3 hatch back with a dedicated set of snow tires and that thing bombed it in the snow. It was a blast to drive and I never really had to worry about sliding around. I also have a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 4-door. I put a dedicated set of snow tires on it as well and the mazda with snow tires was equally as safe. Granted, the jeep has way more clearance for when things get super deep or you want to do something stupid, but for getting to work on the plowed/ice / packed snow streets, they'd both be fine.
Any car with dedicated snow tires will work better than an AWD with all-season junk tires.

my favorite video depicting this:

Last edited:

ridgefire

WKR
I have almost 250000 on my 04 Outback and I still love it. It has been super dependable, does great as a commuter, does awesome in the snow and plenty of room in it for the family or for weekend fishing and hunting trips.

Hunthigh1

WKR
Put a set of general Altimax Arctic’s on a Camry and don’t get in the mindset that you need to floor it to get through snow and you will be just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkduds

WKR
A fwd Honda or Yota is inherently more reliable than any 4wd or AWD: 0 transfer case, 2 less cv axles, less drive train friction, less computers.

Wife and I decided one awd vehicle was enough for CO Springs. Kept our Ridgeline, sold the Forester (best Sub IMO) and got a fwd. It does fine. If we have a doubt we drive the Ridgeline, it only goes 5K miles a year.

wyosam

WKR
I commute in a Prius in the winter. I run snow tires in the winter, and never have a problem. In the summer I mostly commute on a motorcycle. I live in one of the snowier parts of the west. I have a Tacoma for "back up", but generally speaking it sits all winter unless I need to haul something. It mostly just comes out when hauling firewood, hunting, or towing the raft. Wife drives a Rav4. I've never driven it, but she seems happy with it. Tires are key, doesn't really matter what it is. Stopping is key, and that is 100% tire. Details of where you live can dictate AWD and some clearance though- if you're on a road that doesn't get plowed reasonably well, that can change things. Doesn't have to be immediate, new snow isn't an issue. But if it sits around and stiffens, a low front wheel drive can be an issue.

S.Clancy

WKR
The Honda Fit does fine, just learn to drive in snow. That's the big obstacle. I've lived in MT for 30+ yrs, would rather drive the Fit over everything else, unless there is a huge amount of snow.

Titan_Bow

WKR
As much as some people say they've had good luck with Subaru's, I'll never own another one. My wifes 2015 Forester started burning oil at about 40k miles or so. She took it in, and the service department claimed it was her / our fault for just not checking the oil. I started monitoring it, and it was burning a quart every thousand miles or so. Took it back in after doing a bunch of internet research and seeing that alot of people had the same problem and the SAME service guy then fessed up to a known issue. We had to work with Subaru corporate to get it covered under warranty, but they basically replaced the entire short block. After dealing with this, start talking to neighbors, co-workers, etc. that also have Subaru's. and just in that small circle, several people had encountered this problem, or other fairly significant problems with fairly new Subaru's. I'll never own another one that's for sure.
To answer your original question, any good crossover AWD is going to be good but it really depends on where you end up. If you are going to be in a town or city, its not going to be a much of a concern. Just get a AWD SUV. If you are really going to be out in a rural area at higher elevation, you need to give it more thought. You'll want ground clearance, AWD or 4x4, dedicated snow tires, maybe even studded. Really just depends on where you think you'll end up.

jzelina

FNG
I drive a suzuki sx4 sedan and it hasn't failed me yet. With a set of chains for the front I just have to worry about high centering most of the year. In town I've never been unhappy with it.

I am also done with Subaru.
Not very economic but we bought a older Audi Allroad wagon. Put on Blizzacks and now I'm passing all those Subaru and Toyota on the way up the mountain. Germans know snow rally cars and a wagon with twin turbo is a nice grocery getter. These things grip the road crazy, and will only slide if I'm using the knee brake. But not economic and a PITA to wrench on.

My wife decided on a Subaru Crosstrek, Its great. Loaded up for $28k new with a 10 year 100k mile waranty, arguably the best AWD system and 32MPG on the highly.

Ralphie

WKR
I’m in nw Wyoming I drive over the western half of the state all year. Mostly in a 98 corolla. In the winter I run studded general altimax tires. With those tires the performance on snowy roads is unbelievable. Wifey runs a highlander also with studded snow tires in winter and it is fantastic. If economy is a concern I’d for sure get a Camry and put a set of studded tires on it and the 4runner in the winter. A Camry with studded tires will be a better on road winter vehicle than any awd or 4wd without snow tires.

OP
MTHunter20

MTHunter20

Lil-Rokslider
Man, you guys have all been super helpful. I'm definitely gonna try to buy here before we move. I was looking around online this morning and Subarus aren't cheap here either, but there are a lot of them available. I actually found a few German AWD CUV's (Audi Q5 and Mercedes GLA 250s) for less money than Subarus and about the same as some Camrys. Anybody have any experience with any of those? I hear they're supposed to be good in snow too.

Either way y'all have me convinced I'll be fine as long as I invest in good snow tires. Do most people just keep an extra set of tires in the garage to switch to at a certain point in the year?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
whatever you choose get dedicated winter tires for "winter"

probably worth getting something you can haul the meat back with too :)

S8s4Aj9.jpg