Car seats in midsize trucks?

zacattack

WKR
The wife and I are looking at trucks and debating between a full and mid size. We have two dilemmas. One a full size truck will be a super tight fit in the garage like pain in the ass tight fit and we are planning on kids and don’t know how it’ll be having car seats in something like a Tacoma. So much question for those with kids and midsize trucks, will the car seat fit?

woodson

FNG
It fits just fine. I was recently thinking about a Tacoma and took the carseat out of our other car and tried it when I test drove the truck. Can't speak to everyday use as I ended up deciding to drive my current rig a few years longer.

banishd

FNG
Just get what you want. 2 carseats will work in a midsize truck . You don't want kids in there anyways. I thought I was good haviing a second kid but that second one turned out to be twins. If you want a midsize yruck then get one, you will probably have 4-5 years before you may need something bigger.

brsnow

WKR
I have two car seats in 4 door Tacoma and travel with wife, 2 kids and our lab just fine.

JWP58

WKR
We have twins, and no problem with a Tacoma and xterra. I'm 6'2 with long legs and I dont feel cramped.

If you go with the Toyota truck, I suggest crew cab vs double cab. A foot more back seat vs a foot more bed. I have driven double cabs for a while and looked at crew cabs. I rarely fill my bed but now that my kids are older and bigger the back seat is getting too tight. My next truck will be a crew cab.

Rs3003

WKR
I had a Tacoma extended cab 5 speed manual.when we found out we were having another kid I felt that I couldn’t drive safely with another car seat behind the driver. If you really want a mid size truck definitely get the crew cab. I ended up getting a crew cab Tundra. There is a ton of room in the rear seat. You can always just park outside of the garage.

Attachments

• F2FD19E0-F140-4CC3-868D-08EB7C00C720.jpeg
    F2FD19E0-F140-4CC3-868D-08EB7C00C720.jpeg
    494.2 KB · Views: 20
OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
Thanks for the input. Probably gonna get the midsize then, that’s what we liked better during test drives. I’d prefer to park outside but I live in Michigan so that’s not really an option for most of the year.

Hockley

FNG
My wife bought a Tacoma two years ago when we had one kid. We have now added another to the back seat and I personally I feel cramped when I drive with the rear facing car seat behind the driver. That combined with the over packing nature of my wife there is not enough room for overnight travel with the family. She is now looking at getting something bigger.

Braaap

WKR
I think it depends on how tall you are. With rear facing car seats the only vehicles my wife and I fit comfortably in are full size trucks. We have a tundra double cab and sequoia. We aren't even that tall (6'1" and 5'11"). I wouldn't buy anything until you've put two rear facing car seats into that vehicle and then take a test drive. I say this because I've made this mistake a couple times before we ended up with our current vehicles. The modern car seats are huge.