Carbon Barrel on a Barrett Fieldcraft

USMC-40

WKR
I’m sure it’s possible, just about anything is possible for enough money.

but - sounds like a solution looking for a problem...

I don't quite see the point. To me, carbon fiber barrels are a way to get a barrel thick enough to take a suppressor without all the weight. But the Barretts already come with 5/8-24 threads ready to go. Even if you want a thicker barrel for longer strings of shots, my question would still be why do you want to shoot 5+ round shot strings with a 5lb rifle? What exactly is a carbon fiber barrel gaining you on that rifle platform?

Lawnboi

WKR
Its a lot to pay for just an action... which is basically what you will be left with if you need to restock, which is very possible.

IMO you would be better off starting from scratch. Unless the barrel dosnt shoot, or its shot out.

Gutshotem

WKR
Someone on here had one rebarreled to a .280AI but I dont remember if it was a CF barrel or not.

BjornF16

WKR
Someone on here had one rebarreled to a .280AI but I dont remember if it was a CF barrel or not.
It was DoubleBroomedMountainRifles who rebarreled a 30-06 iirc using a Lilja barrel that almost exactly matched Oem barrel

Last edited:
OP
justin davis
Ok so here is my predicament. I bought a Barrett Field craft 6.5 CM 24” barrel (Speacial edition). I got it for my wife. She is small lady. So I figured the light rifle would be nice for her.

The fieldcraft is awesome. But It does have more recoil than I was thinking it would. My wife doesn’t complain but I think the recoil is causing her some shooting issues.

I was thinking it probably Needs a brake. I got the 24” barrel because figured that would be sweet and I don’t have suppressors so chose the longer barrel over the shorter ones.

Problem is the barrel is small and thin and I don’t know if could install a brake on it?

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so here is my predicament. I bought a Barrett Field craft 6.5 CM 24” barrel (Speacial edition). I got it for my wife. She is small lady. So I figured the light rifle would be nice for her.

The fieldcraft is awesome. But It does have more recoil than I was thinking it would. My wife doesn’t complain but I think the recoil is causing her some shooting issues.

I was thinking it probably Needs a brake. I got the 24” barrel because figured that would be sweet and I don’t have suppressors so chose the longer barrel over the shorter ones.

Problem is the barrel is small and thin and I don’t know if could install a brake on it?
Why don't you measure it and post the OD of the barrel? Measured with calipers. Would be pretty easy to figure out if it could be safely threaded for a brake or not.

tdhanses

WKR

First I’d talk to a local gunsmith, you may find you can add one.

Might be cheaper to buy her a Savage Ultralight and have a brake installed then to put a carbon barrel on the existing rifle.

Lawnboi

WKR
Keep in mind a brake can cause flinch issues to magnify.... yes they reduce the push, but they come with concussion and blast, which my wife especially does not like. She would much rather shoot suppressed.

Personally if I were in your shoes, I would get it threaded first, see if she likes the brake, if not maybe a little heavier gun or something that can accept a suppressor is needed.

My 6.5 Cm has way less recoil with a brake than a suppressor, my wife still greatly prefers the suppressor due to less blast and noise.

Another thing to try is double up ear protection. Noise cues the flinch before the recoil impulse does

Im also not a fan of super light rifles for newer shooters.

I see the problem with your wife but when I first read this I thought why mess with a Fieldcraft?!! I have a 22-250 and 6.5x55. AMAZING rifles