Carbon bow recommendations

SDHunter44

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to get a new bow, I currently have a Matthews halon 6. my biggest complaint is how top heavy it is. and weight in general it is on the heavy side. I am looking to go carbon because I am going to start doing more spot and stalk western hunting. Are all the big brands pretty equal in quality? Does it just come down to what feels good in the hand, or are their brands to stay away from? Whats everyones favorite lightweight bow for back country spot and stock hunts?

Norm555

WKR
I think the only true carbon fiber bows on the market are from Hoyt and PSE. Bowtech has their carbon icon which I'm pretty sure is carbon based but not true carbon fiber.

You could add stabilizer weight to help get rid of the top heavy feeling, but that will of course add overall weight. I personally like the feel of a bit heavier bow because of the added stability at crunch time.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
The new hoyt carbons weigh the same as most aluminum bows now, which completely negates thier purpose IMO. If you want a lighter carbon either PSE, or a 2016 or earlier hoyt. The 2013 hoyt aluminum spyders are also lighter than thier current carbons. All these Hoyts were made before they lowered the grip location so, to me, they are better balanced and are definitely not top heavy. One of the many reasons I think the older Hoyts are better than the new ones.

All the top brands are high quality and it’s all personal preference. If it was me I’d be looking at a hoyt carbon element with rkt cams at 3.6lbs, or a 2014-15 Hoyt carbon Spyder 34 with Z5 cams at 3.8lbs. These are my preferences though and IMO are the best carbons Hoyt has built. And they can be found at great prices too.

Last edited:

Ten Bears

WKR
I switched from Hoyt this year to the PSE Carbon Stealth Mach 1. I have to say it’s been a pleasure to shoot. Haven’t liked a bow this much since my Carbon Spyder 34.

ZDR

WKR
I own an RX4 and had the chance to handle a PSE Carbon Stealth this last weekend at MAF. While I didn’t shoot it, the bow just felt like it was designed for me. Amazing lite and balanced. The grip looked clumsy, but felt good, really good. I really need to shoot one now.

marktole

WKR
I’ve owned a couple Hoyt carbon bows and my Carbon Spyder ZT34 was probably my favorite. Still wish I had it cause it would be real salty by now.

I agree with what others have said, if you want carbon for lightweight, gonna need to look elsewhere besides the current Hoyts. Cause they’re almost every bit as heavy as aluminum.

MattB

WKR
The difference in weight is negligible enough to where I would not make bow mass weight a major decision point. Shoot a few and see which feels best to you. Good luck.

Zac

WKR
This has to be the easiest choice ever since there's only two. And you will probably only find one of them at your local shop.

Jimbob

WKR
I just moved from a carbon Hoyt to a heavy Mathews. The sheep in my avatar was shot 15 miles from the trailhead (rifle) but that is where I will take my bow. I also backpack hunt for mountain goats. Weight is a huge concern for me. However, once I do all the WORK to get a shot opportunity I want to know for sure that I have the most accurate set up I can to make it count. Also, the heavier better shooting bow has extended my range, therefore, giving me better harvest odds.

Weight is way down on the list of important things on a bow for me, especially since it is not a huge difference.

Good luck on finding a new bow that fits you.

Firehawk

WKR
I have a Hoyt Helix and a Hoyt RX-3. Other than the Black Gold sight differences (Pure Gold 75 on Helix, Mountain Lite on RX-3, both 3 pin) they are set up with identical rest and stabilizer. I definitely feel the weight difference when shooting between the two. No question that they Carbon is lighter.

Both shoot good, and I really love my Helix a lot. I shoot it so good. So....tomorrow when I head to TAC, most likely I will be carrying my Helix. Maybe the RX-3 on Saturday.

I sold my Hoyt RX-1 because I liked shooting the Helix better. Smoother draw cycle, pointed better, overall I liked how it shot better, even if it was a few fps slower. About 3 days later, I couldn't live without a Carbon bow again. Crazy I know, but my proshop found a leftover RX-3 and made me a good enough deal for me to jump on it. I have only had if for a month or so, but I like it. Can't wait for hunting season.

Have fun hunting for your new bow.

ncavi8tor

WKR
There is a difference in weight you can feel between a new Hoyt carbon vs aluminum regardless of what the specs say. Also there are other advantages to carbon other than weight! However, it all boils down to which one feels the best to YOU. I like my setup to have some weight to it for stability, but not Mathews kind of weight. I currently own the RX-4 Alpha and Ultra. They are some of Hoyts best bows to date in my opinion and I have owned a bunch of them. Go shoot as many as you can and let the bow pick you. Good luck!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

ncavi8tor

WKR
I have a Hoyt Helix and a Hoyt RX-3. Other than the Black Gold sight differences (Pure Gold 75 on Helix, Mountain Lite on RX-3, both 3 pin) they are set up with identical rest and stabilizer. I definitely feel the weight difference when shooting between the two. No question that they Carbon is lighter.

Both shoot good, and I really love my Helix a lot. I shoot it so good. So....tomorrow when I head to TAC, most likely I will be carrying my Helix. Maybe the RX-3 on Saturday.

I sold my Hoyt RX-1 because I liked shooting the Helix better. Smoother draw cycle, pointed better, overall I liked how it shot better, even if it was a few fps slower. About 3 days later, I couldn't live without a Carbon bow again. Crazy I know, but my proshop found a leftover RX-3 and made me a good enough deal for me to jump on it. I have only had if for a month or so, but I like it. Can't wait for hunting season.

Have fun hunting for your new bow.
The Helix is a shooter! Tuned very easily and right down the middle!! I regret selling mine last year.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

XJGPN

FNG
The new hoyt carbons weigh the same as most aluminum bows now, which completely negates thier purpose IMO.

I always thought that the carbon bows don’t feel as cold which was one of the main reasons to go with them?

RX 4 is the best carbon hoyt thay have made. Mine is 80% mods on a rx 4 ultra #2 cam its a veey good shooting bow and was easy to tune. 72lb. 30"DL be midful when shootingbat the stote most are not in time out of the box and that makes a huge difference in draw cycle if its not correct. The top cam neefs to hit nats ass before the bottom.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
I always thought that the carbon bows don’t feel as cold which was one of the main reasons to go with them?

That’s true. I carry my bow by the grip and I can feel it slightly warming up from the heat of my hand on a cold hunt. But to me that’s not the main reason for a carbon riser, lighter weight is. My carbon spyder 34 is almost a pound lighter than mathews’ 31” VXR. If the VXR was 34” ata my bow would be over 1lb lighter. To me that’s a pretty big difference. I’ve had pinched nerves in both shoulders so that weight difference helps me get the bow up on target easier. And I hunt the pretty rugged Cascades near Mt rainier and St Helens on foot, so I love carrying around a light bow.

Last edited:
PSE's carbon air mach 1, its speed is very deceptive it ibos way slow but in reality it shoots very quick. I can shoot it at 60# and it kicks out an arrow the same speed as my 70# Elite energy 35 440gr arrow going 272