Carbon Defiant Turbo conversion

OR Archer

WKR
So I'm going to be ordering some 2.1 DFX cams to do a little conversion on my current Turbo. It should put the IBO around 340 with a much smoother draw. I'll have to do some before and after comparisons and let you know the differences. It'll be a few weeks before I get the parts in so bear with me until then. I'm thinking it's going to be a great shooting setup.

jmez

WKR
How does the Defiant Turbo draw compare to the Spyder Turbo? I'm generally not a fan of the speed bows but find the Spyder Turbo to be pretty manageable.

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
Stiffer draw and a smaller valley. I had a Spyder Turbo previously and it was an easier drawing bow for sure.

Brendan

WKR
I have been shooting a CD34 and CD Turbo side by side this winter and spring. Both are at 28.5" so the turbo is in a more forgiving end of the cam. Both set between 71 and 72 lbs. Turbo shoots 15-17fps faster with the same arrow if I'm remembering right.

I find the difference in draw cycle to be negligible. I have to shoot them side by side to tell - it is there, but it really isn't all that much different for me. The valley on the Turbo IS shorter, and I think if you are too long on draw length then the Turbo really wants to roll over and go on you. Getting my draw length to the point where I wasn't stretched out, leaning back at all, any of that - made a big difference.

I think Phil Mendoza made a comment about the Defiant Turbo with the DFX cams in one of his video threads here - putting the speeds in the middle of the two. Shorter brace height of the Turbo, Draw and valley of the DFX...

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
OR Archer always has the coolest archery posts. Wish you lived around here to pick your brain real time for all my archery "issues"* and wishes*.
(*hoyt cam questions, Diamond Infinite Edge franken-cam swap, Halon 32/Wake limb swap, and on and on.)

Cheers. Keep us posted!

MattB

WKR
I have a CST with the DFX cams ordered from the custom shop - great combination. I ordered a 65# bow and it draws like it is 5# to maybe 10# lighter than the actual draw. Very smooth.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Agreed. If you are not used to pulling hard into the back wall or your draw length is at all long, the turbo cam is not as forgiving. With that said, I love it. Energy in = energy out.

I have been shooting a CD34 and CD Turbo side by side this winter and spring. Both are at 28.5" so the turbo is in a more forgiving end of the cam. Both set between 71 and 72 lbs. Turbo shoots 15-17fps faster with the same arrow if I'm remembering right.

I find the difference in draw cycle to be negligible. I have to shoot them side by side to tell - it is there, but it really isn't all that much different for me. The valley on the Turbo IS shorter, and I think if you are too long on draw length then the Turbo really wants to roll over and go on you. Getting my draw length to the point where I wasn't stretched out, leaning back at all, any of that - made a big difference.

I think Phil Mendoza made a comment about the Defiant Turbo with the DFX cams in one of his video threads here - putting the speeds in the middle of the two. Shorter brace height of the Turbo, Draw and valley of the DFX...

Tilzbow

WKR
I have a CST with the DFX cams ordered from the custom shop - great combination. I ordered a 65# bow and it draws like it is 5# to maybe 10# lighter than the actual draw. Very smooth.

Matt - I'm considering doing the same. How long did the special order take to arrive?

MattB

WKR
It took right at 4 weeks. If your local shop is not familiar with placing custom shop orders, have them reach out to the Hoyt rep because it is a different process and I understand many shops screw it up.

The more I shoot it, the more I like it. The cam feels an awful lot like my 2013 (?) Carbon Spyder Turbo from before they shifted to the much stiffer turbo cam, and it is dead quiet. The press issue is the only bummer.

Tilzbow

WKR
It took right at 4 weeks. If your local shop is not familiar with placing custom shop orders, have them reach out to the Hoyt rep because it is a different process and I understand many shops screw it up.

The more I shoot it, the more I like it. The cam feels an awful lot like my 2013 (?) Carbon Spyder Turbo from before they shifted to the much stiffer turbo cam, and it is dead quiet. The press issue is the only bummer.

Great input, thanks. I'm going to order one soon.

DWhitt

Lil-Rokslider
When I ordered my last cd43 I almost ordered it with the turbo bow with the reg dfx cams also. Even talked to hoyt myself but the woman I spoke to couldn't tell me what cam (2.1 or 3) would be on it for a 29 inch draw. I was wanting the 2.1 cam so I decided just to order a cd34 with the 2.1 cam. If the turbo with the reg dfx cams is anywhere close to the 2014 turbos with the z5 cams with the 6 inch brace height it would be money! I just dont care for some of the nock travel issues on the dfx 3 cam...I hope this is an option for next year without a $100 "custom Shop" upcharge...

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
Well I finally had a moment to put my bow together. I'll post some details later tonight when I have time to type out some details. So far I'm really liking the configuration.

OP
OR Archer

OR Archer

WKR
Ok I have a few minutes to do a little write up on the cam conversion. Ill post my bow specs from my previous setup to my new set up so you guys can see some of the differences there.

Factory Cams:
27" draw set at 72#(C slot on #2 DFX Turbo cam)
A2A = 33"
Brace = 6 1/8" (I use side plates)
String= 58.50
Control Cable = 36.88
Buss = 35.00
I currently shoot a 27" 330 Easton Carbon Injexion with a 100gr head with a total arrow weight of 425gr.
So this configuration averaged right at 288FPS. So just a couple feet shy of 350IBO if you do the calculations.

So with the new cams obviously the string and cable lengths are going to be different but so are the limb deflections. I opted to keep my original limbs on the bow. This will increase the peak poundage by 10#. If you are wanting to keep your bow the same weight you would also need new limbs. I do have the correct limbs to keep my bow at a 70# peak but I am going to play around with this set up and see how it shoots before I go and swap the limbs also.

New Cam configuration
27" draw set at 81# (E slot on #2.1 DFX cam)
A2A = 33 1/4"
Brace = 6 1/16"
String = 57.13
Control Cable = 37.13
Buss Cable = 35.00
With the same above mentioned arrow this set up averaged 298FPS. This puts this configuration at a 340IBO which is what I was expecting.

As far as tuning goes I have only done some rough tuning of the bow so far. I set the timing dead even to begin with. Just did a quick paper tune at 10ft. Only real adjustment I need to make was a twist into the left yoke and a twist out of the right yoke to clean up a small left tear. This was with my nocking point set level. Im using a Hamskea Hybrid Hunter rest for reference. No real issues to speak of so far as the tuning goes. As I play with the set up more I will provide some more information but as of right now its tuning pretty dang easy in my opinion.

Now draw cycle feel is always a personal opinion. I never had an issue with the regular DFX Turbo cam. I have always shot it well. The new cam configuration really reminds me of my 2015 Carbon Spyder Turbo. Nice and smooth draw without a dump into the back wall. Just a smooth transition into the valley with a solid stop. It locks in really nice.

Overall the initial shooting with the new cams feels really good. Ill put more arrows through the set up and see how it performs for me.

Now for guys who currently have a Turbo and might possibly be thinking of doing something like this I would say its not really cost effective to do. By the time you get all the parts you would need you are almost another $500 into your current rig. You can order this through the Hoyt custom shop however. You wouldn't be able to order it at 80# as far as I know. Cost is $100 bucks more since it is a custom shop bow.