Carbon Fiber Barrel Comparison

gtriple

WKR
I'm thinking about putting a CF barrel on a Tikka or Defiance action for a lightweight hunting rifle, and I'm wondering if anybody has real experience or knowledge on the advantages of the various CF barrel manufacturers. Ignoring any marketing hype, pre-fit options, cost, and purely aesthetic differences.

Proof, BSF, Christensen, and Carbon Six are the ones I've seen but I'm sure there's others.

What is actually different between how the barrels are made? Do they use different materials? Is one process more accurate than the others? Are machining tolerances different?

I like the way BSF makes their barrels, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference. I've owned Proof and CA barrels that were extremely accurate.

B23

WKR
Bartlein, because I think they leave more steel on the barrel before they are wrapped but I think they're also some of the heaviest of all the CF wrapped barrels too.

Remember, the only time a CF wrapped barrel is lighter than an all steel barrel is when comparing a CF wrapped barrel to an equal diameter all steel barrel. A smaller contour all steel barrel that is in the same weight range as a CF wrapped barrel will be stiffer not to mention cost considerably less.

Bartlein, because I think they leave more steel on the barrel before they are wrapped but I think they're also some of the heaviest of all the CF wrapped barrels too.

Remember, the only time a CF wrapped barrel is lighter than an all steel barrel is when comparing a CF wrapped barrel to an equal diameter all steel barrel. A smaller contour all steel barrel that is in the same weight range as a CF wrapped barrel will be stiffer not to mention cost considerably less.

I’m not sure I agree with your last statement. To get an all steel barrel to a similar weigh it’s going to be a fairly light weight profile. So assuming that both barrels are similar profile after the blank is turned for wrapping, and then you add the carbon fiber wrap, the carbon barrel is going to be stiffer IMO especially if it’s a longer length. You are going to get more barrel whip with a long, lightweight steel barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B23

WKR
We all can have differing opinions, I'm always good with that, but I'm basing mine on the deflection tests that have been done comparing CF wrapped barrels with equal weight and length all steel barrels and the all steel barrel has less deflection.

And for what it's worth, I'm not down on CF wrapped barrels I have a few myself but I'd be lying if I didn't admit it's, only, because I like how they look not because there's really anything better about them.

We all can have differing opinions, I'm always good with that, but I'm basing mine on the deflection tests that have been done comparing CF wrapped barrels with equal weight and length all steel barrels and the all steel barrel has less deflection.
This^^^^^^^^^exactly. The stiffness/deflection tests have been done many times and CF barrels are spaghetti compared to steel. Nothing wrong with CF if you want one, I have one and really like it. But, my SS fluted barrel in a similar contour is lighter and stiffer than my CF. As far as CF goes, I've used Proof and Carbon 6 and would use either of them again if I wanted a CF barrel.

Once I started putting mufflers on all my rifles I started using CF barrels to have a large enough muzzle to thread and still be fairly light. With the more aggressive fluting available today an SS barrel can be whittled down pretty light and still maintain a large enough muzzle diameter for proper threads.

And for what it's worth, I'm not down on CF wrapped barrels I have a few myself but I'd be lying if I didn't admit it's, only, because I like how they look not because there's really anything better about them.

Do you have some links on the deflection tests? I’d like to do some reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B23

WKR
If I recall Alex Wheeler did one and posted the results over on accurateshooter dot com.

I think Bartlein makes one of the best barrels on the market and I've had a few conversations with Frank about CF wrapped barrels and one of the things I really appreciate about Frank is his honesty and he will tell you Bartlein does CF wrapped barrels because there's a market for it and people like how they look, not because CF wrapping a barrel does anything to make it a better barrel.

Last edited:
Can't speak to all the different CF wrapped barrels but have 2 build using Bartlein CF #4 contour barrels. These are my 1st CF barrels and so far both are extremely accurate builds. I know my smith that built both was impressed with the bore on both - he mentioned they where both about as straight as any barrel he had seen regardless of CF or all SS. He's built a bunch of rifles using CF and has had great success using the Bart barrels, he said the Proof are more hit and miss on accuracy. And like mentioned the Bart do have more steel and are a bit heavier than other CF barrels.

On both of my builds the end result was the barrel ended up weighing about the same as a Bart 2b barrel but in a #4 contour. I've been super pleased with both - the Barts aren't as "pretty" as a Proof but have shot everything either great or fantastic so I'm happy with how they perform.

I'm thinking about putting a CF barrel on a Tikka or Defiance action for a lightweight hunting rifle, and I'm wondering if anybody has real experience or knowledge on the advantages of the various CF barrel manufacturers. Ignoring any marketing hype, pre-fit options, cost, and purely aesthetic differences.

Proof, BSF, Christensen, and Carbon Six are the ones I've seen but I'm sure there's others.

What is actually different between how the barrels are made? Do they use different materials? Is one process more accurate than the others? Are machining tolerances different?

I like the way BSF makes their barrels, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference. I've owned Proof and CA barrels that were extremely accurate.
CF wrapped barrels can be hit or miss simply because you're turning the blank way down and introducing stress during the wrapping phase.
They all have the potential to shoot great, but a #3 steel barrel will have even more potential.
I've moved away from CF and now I use light contours with muzzle flare to run my suppressors, I'm doing better in the weight and accuracy department as well

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
This thread has kinda diverged... I'm not trying to compare a CF barrel to a steel barrel, as I'm only considering CF barrels... partly for the heat dispersion and partly because they just work/look better when running a can IMO.

The Bartlein barrel sounds interesting. I've had a Bartlein barrel before that was crazy accurate in 300WM. I didn't even know they did CF.

I've got similar questions about Proof and Christensen since their barrels are more "mass produced". Is there a higher chance of getting a lemon? Or are they all checked to the same tolerances regardless of manufacturing quantity?

Anybody have insight on the BSF barrels? Weatherby was highly impressed by them. The pre-tensioning of the steel makes sense but I'm wondering if it has potential negative impacts.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Heat dispersion? CF is an insulator and traps heat in the SS material that it's wrapped around.
Doesn't that depend on the material (if) used to separate the steel from the CF and also the method of wrapping? CF might insulate radially, but it should disperse the heat laterally down the barrel.

B23

WKR
Doesn't that depend on the material (if) used to separate the steel from the CF and also the method of wrapping? CF might insulate radially, but it should disperse the heat laterally down the barrel.
That's definitely the sales pitch they give but sales pitch and actual truth don't often collide with one another and they all seem to claim how "their" resin is better than the next guys and actually pulls heat out of the barrel. Smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors.

Nothing wrong with buying CF if you like how it looks
Every other claimed benefit is total marketing BS.
That little pencil thin Steel core gets super hot, and that cute wrapping keeps it hot

I forgot to add if you want one with the best chance of being a great shooter the Bartlein CF barrel is the only one I'd recommend

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Nothing wrong with buying CF if you like how it looks
Every other claimed benefit is total marketing BS.
That little pencil thin Steel core gets super hot, and that cute wrapping keeps it hot
Do you have testing results for your claim? Otherwise it's not much different than their marketing hype.

It's weird how anti-CF this thread has become. Just makes it seem like not a lot of people have real testing or knowledge about this technology.

sndmn11

WKR
Do you have testing results for your claim? Otherwise it's not much different than their marketing hype.

It's weird how anti-CF this thread has become. Just makes it seem like not a lot of people have real testing or knowledge about this technology.

I'd get the Bartlein because it's a Bartlein. If I remember correctly, they are priced right in with any others and wait time is similar, so there doesn't seem to be any drawback.

sndmn11

WKR
I'd get the Bartlein because it's a Bartlein. If I remember correctly, they are priced right in with any others and wait time is similar, so there doesn't seem to be any drawback.
Also, I know preferred has carbon now and I have two of their Tikka prefits in steel that shoot well. I have never looked at the price, but if they were less expensive than bartlein by whatever one seems "significant", they would get my attention as well.

HuntnPack

WKR
For my recent build I opted for a
20”Bartlein carbon, Black
Short shanked & threaded
400MODBB S.S. Core matl.
6.5 cal #4 contour. 1-7.5 twist
.750 at muzzle
Running Suppressed.

I much prefer Bartlein Barrels.
Their manufacturing process is different than others & makes sense to me.
They offer the 400MODBB S.S. as a proprietary material that may reduce wear & extend barrel life.
Mine is short shanked to reduce some weight.

Best shooting Carbon I’ve owned.
Highly recommend !!