Carbon Injexions or FMJ Injexions for Elk

SUMMIT75

WKR
Have a little bit of a dilemma, I typically would automatically hop into a .330-.340 spine Easton arrow without question but am finding out the hard way that I'm actually back tracking on my speed/KE on my FMJ Injexions .330. Since I prefer doubling up my deep six HIT inserts to slightly increase my FOC pairing with a 100 gr head, I'm finding out in a .330 spine that it's too heavy. Approx. 475gr dressed out @27.5 shaft w/100gr head. My pin gaps are huge and at 68-70lbs Ive done enough testing to find my sweet spot in speed and KE is between 430-450 gr dressed out.

My question is to any of you guys using FMJ Injexions, do you think it's worth it to try a .400 spine which is a solid 1.2GPI less than the .330 spine FMJ Injexions? This will help me get into that " sweet spot" in speed/KE as well as shorten my pin gaps. Also I can just fall back to my old faithful Carbon Injexions .330 with double inserts dressing out at 454 gr. My main dilemma is I have grown to really like the aluminum over carbon design of the FMJ's but at my specs I'm riding in group H on Eastons shaft selector guide which says a .400 but it's nearly pushing into the group for .330,dunno if I'm gonna be pushing it specially at 70 pounds and doubling up my inserts which increases it like 125 gr point weight.

Which would you guys do, stick with the all carbon Injexions or give the .400 spine FMJ Injexions a shot under my specs? This will be my elk hunting shaft, lots of abuse on these arrows, what do you recommend? Common sense is telling me the Carbon Injexions are a better idea but need some advice.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
In other words go back to straight carbon on my Carbon Injexions or give the .400 FMJ Injexions a shot? Sucks being right there in between spines!

charvey9

WKR
Run the .330 FMJ injexions with single insert, you will be right in that ballpark.

I shoot them at 28" with 100gr head to finish at about 455. Fly great and hit hard enough for me at 71.5lbs.

• Banned
OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
When I use my charts I'm referring to the 125 gr as my field point but technically the extra insert only weighs 20gr and I will be pairing it with a 100 gr field point. So it's actually 5 grains lighter and also a extra 1 1/4" of inside space filled up by a extra insert which in theory should stiffen the shaft slightly....in theory lol

• Banned
OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
The more I think about it, just gonna stick with my .330's yes a little heavier than planned but I'm sure it will a heck of a punch on a Elk. Anyone else running fairly heavy for their specs?

Markdjr

FNG
What is your dl and pull weight? I use the firenock outserts and my finished weight on my d6 fmjs is 505gn I believe. Flies very well.

• Banned
OP
S

SUMMIT75

WKR
What's yalls opinion on the long debated straight carbon shaft vs aluminum/carbon shafts for hunting? Sounds like some years back that the aluminum/alloy would have had the upper hand in manufacturing consistency, but have not had many issues tuning or out of spec all carbon shafts lately from Easton at all. Once was apples to oranges but is it more apples to apples now?

tracker12

WKR
First I would not drop down to a 400 spine that will be way weak at 70#. Both are great arrows. I like the FMJ but could shoot either one. I like the spine consistency that comes with an aluminum arrow but a high dollar carbon will do the same. As far pin pin gaps I see no down side in that and actually with a mulit-pin setup I line some space between the pins. If I'm shooting far I am ranging anyway so could care less about drop.

I have used both. But currently I really like the FMJ injections. I'm shooting a 26" arrow with 2 inserts up front. Arrow weighs 450. Shooting it out of a 71 lb Hoyt. They shoot lights out!

I really like the FMJ because of their tight tolerances! Very accurate arrows

Last edited:

Hokkaido

Banned
I would say that you make things more complicated by shooting the injections and gain little in performance. The regular 340s are extremely good on elk and with your specs would fit right in the middle of the selection range.
Not so sure what to think of the BIG gaps between your pins now that your arrow is so much heavier. Perhaps it'll take a bit more practice.

Last edited: