Carbon remover brass cleaning

Hey sliders! New member here. I've been on LRH for several years and thought I would join here as well.

Anyway, I think I stumbled on a brass cleaning method that I would pass along. I was loading up my hunting loads this evening and tried something new.

My brass generally only has carbon buildup around the neck of the case, nothing really ever gets dirty below the shoulder and it takes a very long time to knock it off in the tumbler.

So tonight I thought I would try the carbon remover I had on hand to clean barrels on my brass. I put a few drops on a plastic style brillo pad and twisted the brass necks a few times and immediately wiped it off with a shop towel.

This was after annealing and before sizing so they only spent an hour in the tumbler to knock off the lube and any left over carbon remover.

Right piece is after annealing, middle is brillo pad only, left is brillo and carbon remover.
20211019_211443.jpg

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I find that an Ultrasonic cleaner does wonders for removing carbon buildup, outside as well as inside of cases, and only a fraction of the time that a traditional media tumbler takes...maybe 30 mins at most. After the Ultrasonic, my cases go into the the old school media tumbler for a nice polish.

OP
C
Is there a potential issue using it on brass?
Not sure but my assumption is no. I researched it a little on the web before I tried it. Only a few mentions of it harming brass. What nudged me to use it is the gun mfg's that make brass rifle parts don't mention carbon remover as bad in their literature. Henry even recommends Hoppes in theirs.

OP
C
I find that an Ultrasonic cleaner does wonders for removing carbon buildup, outside as well as inside of cases, and only a fraction of the time that a traditional media tumbler takes...maybe 30 mins at most. After the Ultrasonic, my cases go into the the old school media tumbler for a nice polish.
I dont disagree. Ultrasonic cleaners are nice and produce great results. I dont use them because I actually want the carbon left on the inside of the neck, to an extent. One swipe in the neck with a nylon brush is all the cleaning I want. I feel that leaving the carbon makes for more consistent bullet seating and neck tension.

OP
C
Update after two days. I dont think this is an abort mission statement but more of a proceed with caution. I had a few pieces of brass that were not loaded show some tarnishing today. All pieces were wiped with a rag and tumbled in rice for one hour after cleaning with the carbon remover. The tarnishing was easily removed and they look fine. I am going to conclude that a chemical reaction did take place. I have no idea if there will be any long term adverse affects.20211020_210949.jpg

I don't understand the intention if the brass is still getting tumbled. Is there still carbon on your tumbled brass that is problematic?

OP
C
Most of the carbon is removed if I run them in the tumbler for 8-12 hours. I just don't have the patience for that anymore.

Most of the carbon is removed if I run them in the tumbler for 8-12 hours. I just don't have the patience for that anymore.

I don't have the patience for tumbling at all. Actually, the only cleaning I do is wiping off case lube after resizing. Other than looks, is there another reason to clean brass if you're just reloading to shoot bolt action hunting rifles? My understanding is there is no benefit to accuracy, it's not related to safety, and as far as I know, clean brass doesn't last longer than dirty brass. Maybe required if you have a gun that has feeding issues?

OP
C
I don't have the patience for tumbling at all. Actually, the only cleaning I do is wiping off case lube after resizing. Other than looks, is there another reason to clean brass if you're just reloading to shoot bolt action hunting rifles? My understanding is there is no benefit to accuracy, it's not related to safety, and as far as I know, clean brass doesn't last longer than dirty brass. Maybe required if you have a gun that has feeding issues?
I think it exacerbates carbon fouling and could lead to a carbon ring in the barrel throat or carbon locking the brass in the chamber. I have also had carbon bedded into brass when not removing it, same goes for dies and bushings. Hunting rifle it is, I just look for and want to treat it better.