Carbon Six Barrels

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
I’ve read through a few forums about this company and nearly everyone has been very happy with them. I didn’t start this thread to ask about lead time, but I placed an order with them in early December with a quoted lead time of 4-6 months. I also placed an order with mcmillan about a month later and my stock has already arrived. I emailed Carbon Six almost two months ago and asked for an update (and how COVID would affect my order) and was told that my barrel is waiting to be reamed. The reamer at that time had been on order for 3 weeks, but still have heard nothing. I’m not ill or unhappy, but I’m just curious to know if this is a common thing. I assumed a company that made barrels would keep reamers on hand.

Note: It’s a 25-06. Not a super popular caliber these days, but one that has been around for a couple years. Not sure how that would play into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
The chamber needs reamed or the bore? Could be that their tooling broke or was worn out. Its fairly common for most manufacturers of gun stuff to be late and have an excuse.

Aaron

Tahoe1305

WKR
Interesting. I haven’t waited that long yet but similar experience.

I ordered mid April with a lead time quote of 3.5 months and a statement that they almost always beat their lead time estimates.

Two weeks later I noticed they released a faster twist rate on the barrel I ordered (discussed their opinions on twist rate during ordering and made it clear I was between 1:8 and 1:9....new twist was 1:8.5....perfect). I was informed that it was too late because my barrel was too far along in the process. A bit upset because clearly they knew two weeks earlier this was going to be an option I would have rather waited two weeks to order and get what I want for $900.

So I assumed well they are cooking on this I should have it on time or maybe early.

I reached out last week to check on status and got a response I wasn’t thrilled with. Told it was out of their hands and wasn’t sure where it stood because they had to order a custom reamer and they couldn’t control that lead time on that and then Cerakote. All things that were part of original order and lead time estimate I was assuming.

So like you I am unhappily not expecting to get mine anytime soon either. You are going on 7 months it would appear. I’m only at 3, so bummer.

I’m going to give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being and hope it comes close to the estimate, turns out awesome, and shoots even better at which point I’ll come back and post that. But for now I’m left a tad disappointed, especially reading your post.

Kraze

FNG
I ordered a barrel from Carbon 6 at the tail end of December, so after you, and was quoted a 4.5 month lead time. The barrel arrived in March, so they beat their lead time. Mine was also a custom chambering, but the difference for me likely comes down to I selected a Sherman cartridge, and they had to rent the reamer from Rich, who was obviously quick about getting them the reamer when they requested it. It sounds like you're at the mercy of whoever they are renting your reamer from. The reamers they have on hand are the ones you don't have to select the custom reamer option for.

Tahoe1305

WKR
So I agree they are at the mercy of the rental company. But they know that when they quote a lead time. Would be transparent if they said something along the lines of “hey it may tack on a month or more for that chambering due to the rental”. Some folks may pick another chambering.

I personally was debating between this and a proof and chose this solely because their lead time was 2 months quicker (and I liked only paying half upfront). I would’ve gone the other way knowing what I know now and got a cut rifled barrel, in the twist I wanted for about the same price and maybe on the same timeline (TBD).

Point is when folks decide on what to buy they weigh lots of factors and it’s nice to know the facts when buying.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I ordered a barrel blank from them six weeks ago, it should be here today. I like that I can build my own on the website. I ordered a featherweight 20" .308 barrel blank.

I imagine the chambered barrels do take longer to get than the blanks.

OP
E

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
Okay cool. It’s good to hear from other people dealing with this company. And like was said above, as long as it shoots good and I have it finished by this coming deer season I’ll be more than happy. I assume barrels don’t grow on trees and they know more than me

ID_Matt

WKR
Ordered mine in October and received it in February. Pre-fit tikka 6.5-284.... worth the wait i think. Last time i talked to them they were upgrading their chambering process i think. Might be part of the hold up.

a526e420c42cdaf0e5b67cfd497c88d3.jpg

239238873ac7c77f463edb42623a7e7c.jpg

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
So I agree they are at the mercy of the rental company. But they know that when they quote a lead time. Would be transparent if they said something along the lines of “hey it may tack on a month or more for that chambering due to the rental”. Some folks may pick another chambering.

I personally was debating between this and a proof and chose this solely because their lead time was 2 months quicker (and I liked only paying half upfront). I would’ve gone the other way knowing what I know now and got a cut rifled barrel, in the twist I wanted for about the same price and maybe on the same timeline (TBD).

Point is when folks decide on what to buy they weigh lots of factors and it’s nice to know the facts when buying.

Well if it makes you feel any better my last two proof barrels have given me fits in the accuracy department.

OP
E

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
Ordered mine in October and received it in February. Pre-fit tikka 6.5-284.... worth the wait i think. Last time i talked to them they were upgrading their chambering process i think. Might be part of the hold up.

a526e420c42cdaf0e5b67cfd497c88d3.jpg

239238873ac7c77f463edb42623a7e7c.jpg

I built mine on a tikka as well. If it shoots as well as yours I’ll be more than happy. Beautiful rifle, btw

Tahoe1305

WKR
Well if it makes you feel any better my last two proof barrels have given me fits in the accuracy department.
Yes it makes me feel better Ryan. Thank you!

And agree if mine shoots a 1/4” group I probably won’t be disgruntled.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Both are 28” Sendero 30 cal barrels. I’ve had great luck with most of my proof barrels in the past. I’m going to reach out to proof next week.

tdhanses

WKR
I ordered a barrel blank from them six weeks ago, it should be here today. I like that I can build my own on the website. I ordered a featherweight 20" .308 barrel blank.

I imagine the chambered barrels do take longer to get than the blanks.

You’ll like that contour, my 6.5cm is a 20” featherweight and so far I’m very happy with it. While I like carbon6 I think proof is a better barrel, I was able to get a proof sendaro lite for the same price as a blank carbon6.

I think the Carbon6 is a better overall deal if getting a prefit.

I’ve read through a few forums about this company and nearly everyone has been very happy with them. I didn’t start this thread to ask about lead time, but I placed an order with them in early December with a quoted lead time of 4-6 months. I also placed an order with mcmillan about a month later and my stock has already arrived. I emailed Carbon Six almost two months ago and asked for an update (and how COVID would affect my order) and was told that my barrel is waiting to be reamed. The reamer at that time had been on order for 3 weeks, but still have heard nothing. I’m not ill or unhappy, but I’m just curious to know if this is a common thing. I assumed a company that made barrels would keep reamers on hand.

Note: It’s a 25-06. Not a super popular caliber these days, but one that has been around for a couple years. Not sure how that would play into it.

My barrel from them took almost 9 months and when it showed up was the wrong contour. I will not order another barrel from them.

Last edited:
I have a hard time getting past a button rifled barrel in carbon. If you're going to pay for carbon you might as well get one more likely to last longer.

Dhbwa

WKR
Both are 28” Sendero 30 cal barrels. I’ve had great luck with most of my proof barrels in the past. I’m going to reach out to proof next week.

Me too...7mm 1-8.2 TW that has been chambered twice and is inconsistent....1/2” then 3/4” then 2 in one hole and the third 1” low (normally)
Trying one more time with different loads and scope then I’ll be calling Proof.....