CarbonSix 1:8 or Proof 1:9

tdot

WKR
I'm in a situation where I'm prepping to purchase a barrel for my TBD 30 cal rifle. I've come to a crossroads where I can get either a Proof Research in 1:9 or a CarbonSix in 1:8...everything else equal...including the same price (Proof is like $25 more). I am able to change the specs of the CarbonSix but the Proof is one of those cases where for the price you don't get to choose much.

I'm planning on shooting heavier all copper bullets (215 grains but possibly Hammer 199s) so the CarbonSix has an advantage with rifling but Proof has the reputation. Which do you choose?

If your main plan is to shoot long all copper bullets, I would seriously consider the 8 twist. In my experience the solid copper are best if they are spun as fast as possible. I spoke to Hammer Bullets about this a little while ago, as I thought maybe this was due to my elevation of 0 feet. But Steve has the same feeling and a heck of alot more data to back it up.

Also, if you speak to Steve and LR shooting is your plan. He has a bunch of new designs that arent on his website. The 338 that I'm using now, with the new profile, has a G7 BC that was something like 0.030 higher, then their previous shape.

tdot

WKR
@Broz

Is the custom 300wm reamer that you are using have a longer throat then a SAAMI spec reamer? Or what is the difference?

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
Personally after owning both proof and carbonsix, I’d go carbonsix. But I’d also check with Mike, haven’t heard a single complaint with his barrels.

Also carbonsix will chamber and thread the barrel if you have an action on their list which saves about $300 in gunsmith fees.

so will proof
Have one on the way