Cardboard Boat Races! Scout Troop 1103

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
We live sorta close to Cypress, yes. This tract was built in 1959.

Last edited:
I FIRMLY believe in the importance of getting kids into using tools as early on as possible. AND using that opportunity to explain to them about the Gotchas! that can happen with the various tools.

Thing is, if you give em a project, especially in woodworking.. they often learn about how they'll "paint themselves into a corner" if they don't get the order of operations right. Then they have to throw it away, and they get to FEEL what that's like seeing their efforts be wasted like that. It stings within you, ya know? So it's a phenomenal learning tool!

In terms of power tools... first one to show them is Drill Press. Much less danger, and they love being the one to apply the pressure to lower the drill. Plus you show them how you position everything ahead of time with the platform. So they learn how to "bring the work to you!"

Completely agree. My boys have been working with me in the garage since they could walk, they got their own work benches, vises, hand tools, cordless drill, hand saws, etc. Theyve built more things than I can count for their gi joes and stuffed animals, trucks, campers, chainsaws, fishing poles, and on and on.

Tonight I had some other kids over to work on their Cub Scout whittling. The skill level and competence between the kids without much exposure and my boys was amazing. My kids I turned loose without a worry while I was worried the others were going to lose a finger while I was watching them.

It’s too bad more kids don’t get more of a chance to build things, when neighbor kids come over one of their favorite things to do is go to the garage and make something. Last winter a little girl from down the street was over and they helped her build a bird house. I smile every time I drive by and see it hanging in a tree at her house. Seems a lot of kids crave that type of activity but just don’t get the chance.

minengr

FNG
Pretty sure cardboard boat races started at my alma mater, SIUC, as a final project for a design class. I won the paddle wheel division many years ago as a senior in HS with a boat my physics class built.

minengr

FNG
Here are a couple pics I found.cbb 2.jpg

cbb 1.jpg
That's me in front in the final race. The red boat in the previous picture is behind me.cbb3.jpg

About 5-6 years after these photos, I became roommates with the brother of the guy that took 2nd in the kayak division this year. Small world. I miss the 80's.

Last edited: