Cardio vs Strength Training

Poser

WKR
I’m glad we finally agree on something. I’d rather have someone fall in the middle, like the ups man. My whole point I’ve tried to make over and over is that just saying “stronger is better” isn’t always going to hold water, and it’s eventually going to be worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think the vast majority of Backcountry hunters are at any risk of being hindered by being too strong (possibly too fat, though). On the flip side, the vast majority only stand to improve their performance by having stronger bodies than they have presently.

I’m glad we finally agree on something. I’d rather have someone fall in the middle, like the ups man. My whole point I’ve tried to make over and over is that just saying “stronger is better” isn’t always going to hold water, and it’s eventually going to be worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
don't really think THAT'S what you want ?? "Stronger" is ALWAYS better

I don’t recall anyone suggesting a professional Strongman as being the ideal hunting partner, though, strongmen do tend to have pretty good strength endurance for their size as some of the events they do like shuttle carries, pulling fire trucks etc are sustained, but at, 400 lbs, they are way too big for long distance stuff (there is a video of Brian Shaw setting an unofficial world record on a rower, though).

Anyway, if we’re pulling partners from the general population, I’d take a UPS driver/delivery man. They tend to be slightly on the thicker side from moving heavy shit around, but they can move all day up and down and get up and do it again. You can have the soccer mom endurance runner: me and my UPS driver will be enjoying beers following our one trip packout while she’s struggling with 40 lbs loads of meat and passes her medical bills off on you due to her disc injury from trying to carry too much weight with a severely atrophied posture chain
Personally ? I'll take the "soccer mom, UPS driver" …….

My whole point I’ve tried to make over and over is that just saying “stronger is better” isn’t always going to hold water, and it’s eventually going to be worse.
Yes there is a point of diminishing returns. It's not the actual physical strength that is detrimental. It's the amount of energy and time put into the pursuit of strength that is detrimental. Hunting, at least here in the west, is a strength-endurance activity. If you're just training for absolute strength and neglecting the endurance components your endurance will be crap. If you're just training endurance and neglecting the strength components you're going to be weak.

you mean like stairs ?
I guess.

What I do is run the local HS bleachers. Up and down, up and down, round and round. Home side (x4) and then visitor's side (x6). I do that 3, 4 or 5 times, depending on my level of fitness. 5 trips around the stadium is 2250 steps. If you run them and skip a step, you get great cardio and leg strengthening at the same time.

I've found nothing better. After I started doing this, I could easily tell the difference in the mountains.

When I get closer to season, I'll add a weighted pack (up to 30#). I tried 50# once but ended up hurting my knee so I don't go over 30 anymore if I actually want to run up and down.

Even tiny little towns have high school football stadiums where you can run up and down the bleachers. No gym membership required.

I guess.

What I do is run the local HS bleachers. Up and down, up and down, round and round. Home side (x4) and then visitor's side (x6). I do that 3, 4 or 5 times, depending on my level of fitness. 5 trips around the stadium is 2250 steps. If you run them and skip a step, you get great cardio and leg strengthening at the same time.

I've found nothing better. After I started doing this, I could easily tell the difference in the mountains.

When I get closer to season, I'll add a weighted pack (up to 30#). I tried 50# once but ended up hurting my knee so I don't go over 30 anymore if I actually want to run up and down.

Even tiny little towns have high school football stadiums where you can run up and down the bleachers. No gym membership required.
I was kind of being a smart ass but not disagreeing with you, I found stairs to be much safer (slipping or tripping) and I also found after a while that "running" was totally unnecessary, I just went at the pace my body told me to go, did stairs for many years, like nearly 40 - FYI, my orthopedic surgeon, who is also a very good friend, said that stairs was a great "help" in wearing out my knees (but like they say, ya gotta die of somethin') I doubt the lunges with 185 lb barbell helped much either but I never told him about those
I DO miss those days …...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Strength is great until you get tired, then your weak.

:D

folks that aren't training for both endurance and strength will be sorely disappointed on their hunt in the mountains

I think you could have a much more productive discussion about what's the best way to mix/blend the two- there is no "cardio vs strength" hunting in the mountains

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Hey y'all,

I'm an east coast still hunter getting ready to do my first Idaho elk hunt this fall. What do you think is more important from a training perspective? Strength training or cardio? Why? What types of cardio are best? HIIT vs long jogging biking etc?
Do an absolute bunch of body weight only exercise. Get to a place where your VERY confident in moving your body both in strength and flexibility. I alternate hiking and elliptical training until i feel beastly. Then i add weight to counter my new found cardio fitness. Weight is the ultimate equalizer in my opinion. As i get comfortable with a routine i continue adding weight or resistance. I love lifting weights and thats a problem for my style of hunting. The more muscle i have, the more food i have to pack to sustain my body on a hunt. This has taken me years to figure out and its all about balance, I lift heavy once per week and it fuels my love for lifting heavy without building unneeded muscle. Figure out what works for you with experimentation and make it fun.

Blandry

WKR
You can get as technical as you’d like. One of the guys I’ve mentioned that cannot walk up flight of steps, can deadlift over 700 pounds, squat over 700 pounds and does 5x12 150lb dumbbell bench presses. He’s stronger than anyone on this thread.

I've been going to bodybuilding gyms my entire adult life and NOBODY moves the weight you mentioned without something else...steroids. So throw anabolic drugs into that mix which increase blood pressure and kill cardio.

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
I've been going to bodybuilding gyms my entire adult life and NOBODY moves the weight you mentioned without something else...steroids. So throw anabolic drugs into that mix which increase blood pressure and kill cardio.
Risk of injury is crazy high when you start talking about that much weight as well. I want to be hunting the high country when i am 70. I use common sense when lifting or training.

Bleachers are where it's at for me. Best prep for mountain hunting I've ever found. Walk some with a weighted pack, but run most of them for strong legs and cardio at the same time.

yup, that's pretty much exclusively all I do. Moderately heavy but not too heavy pack and walking/running up stairs. If I had some hills here I would do that but I live on one of the flattest farms you ever saw. Just burn those legs real good for a couple months before season.

That's simply not true

That's simply not true