Career choice advice

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
The line trade has a lot of great things to offer. I think any trade is great. It’s hard to find hands in all them it seems. There is a lot money to be made for line hands that want to work that’s for sure. There also utility positions that give lots of paid time off for hunting. …..

OP
L

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve looked into some of your guys recommendations and I’ve found there’s 2 HVAC places in the county that are looking to hire. I think the one will start ya at 16 and I’m sure the other one would be the same, or close to it. I live in one of the poorest counties in Utah so that’s not bad starting pay at all for around here. I’m not sure if I’ve heard of better.

There’s a electrical place that I had a offer to but turned down a little while ago after learning some things about the company and owner so I turned that offer down. The job I have lined up now to start as soon as summer starts is working on building steel buildings, he’ll start me at 14. Lots to consider.

cgasner1

WKR
I’ve looked into some of your guys recommendations and I’ve found there’s 2 HVAC places in the county that are looking to hire. I think the one will start ya at 16 and I’m sure the other one would be the same, or close to it. I live in one of the poorest counties in Utah so that’s not bad starting pay at all for around here. I’m not sure if I’ve heard of better.

There’s a electrical place that I had a offer to but turned down a little while ago after learning some things about the company and owner so I turned that offer down. The job I have lined up now to start as soon as summer starts is working on building steel buildings, he’ll start me at 14. Lots to consider.

None of those wages should be anything you consider. As a young person they may seem fine now you should be looking at what you’ll be making in 10 years with whatever you choose. Those wages are why you will want to go to work for yourself. I’m sure your not thinking about it but that comes out to 2,560 dollars a month before tax. I have 2 boys in daycare right now it’s 1200 a month for that. Look long term for something you’ll wanna do and that pays you what your worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgasner1

WKR
I worked my way to the top in 8 years.

Do agree w what you said. Lots of companies will lot you do someone elses work for nothing extra.

At my company, im one of 5 owners. We know who does what and the raises and bonuses reflect that.

Companies like yours hire guys from companies like mine that see the value in the good people. A lot of utility are ram like the banks and “to big to fail”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheACGuy

FNG
I’m currently 25. Always had “side gigs” for cash as a minor and when I turned 18 I started landscaping on the books. After a couple years of that, did roadside flagging for a year (boring as ****) for gas companies and electric companies. Then the next year I went out commercial fishing (scalloping) for one year as a personal goal of mine as that’s what my father did as a career. Three years ago I got a job doing HVAC. After a year of this I decided that I was pretty sure this is what I want to do as a career, invested in my own bag and set of tools.. and here we are now!

I personally love my job, but I think it takes a certain kind of individual to love it. I don’t mind being in an attic on the hottest day of the year, and I don’t mind diving into a wet crawlspace when it’s 10 degrees outside. I also enjoy helping people and being a “giver”, so I don’t mind going to extra mile to fix something the right way knowing the customer will be happier that way. Eventually I would like to run my own gig, but for now I’m soaking in as much as I can learning more and more every day. Find something you enjoy and it makes a world of a difference man. Also finding someone you enjoy working for is a huge bonus. Don’t be afraid to hop around a little bit and learn different things, that’s the benefit of being young!

Whatever you decide on, make sure it is recession proof. Some of these trade jobs are going to tank when the economy slows down. HVAC is probably the only one that will do well, because people don’t like to be hot and they don’t want to freeze.

Don’t get conned into be a nurse. People will say “you only work 3 days a week.” Sounds great on paper. Reality is totally different.

CorbLand

WKR
Whatever you decide on, make sure it is recession proof. Some of these trade jobs are going to tank when the economy slows down. HVAC is probably the only one that will do well, because people don’t like to be hot and they don’t want to freeze.

Don’t get conned into be a nurse. People will say “you only work 3 days a week.” Sounds great on paper. Reality is totally different.
The three safest jobs in the world are dentist, doctor or mortician.

Consider what you like to do with your free time as well. I also have been working full time on a farm the last 10 years, and I over see our center pivot irrigation systems. Benefits are great, I can hunt the property, and I get to be outside most of the year. The rub is i can’t really get time off in May, September, and October, which is kind of a big deal for obvious reasons. I’m creeping in on 30 and wondering if I made the right choice.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Look at firefighting, I’m biased though… yes we work 24 hour shifts, but I get the following 48 off. We can work trades and stack up time off. I’ve taken 3 weeks off in September every year to hunt, plus a rifle season plus all the bird hunting I can handle… that is until my kiddo came this year haha but really we have great schedules, depends where you are but departments pay pretty well in certain areas, you get to help people and work with awesome folks everyday, workout at work, the list goes on, go to crazy situations and fix the problem or break the problem, I was in the army for 7 years before I started firefighting and I wish I had known about it sooner. It can be tough be a ton of fun and great if you like to hunt and fish

49ereric

WKR
It’s getting time to start getting serious about what I want to do for work. I’m thinking about going into the trades since I’m not a big fan of desk jobs. Growing up I was taught that nothing in life comes free, if you want something you work for it, and to avoid debt. Got my first real job in 6th grade moving sprinklers on the farm to be able to pay for the hunting gear I wanted and then a truck. Haven’t quit working since then. Love farm work more then anything and the goal is to own a ranch some day.
I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask for others opinions on what they think would be a wise or smart career to get into. I’m not set on anything yet so any and all ideas and recommendations are welcome and appreciated.
Pipe fitters have the best contract but lots of schooling and might have to travel for work.
electricans will always be needed.
neither of those two trades move-work fast so easier on the body.
just be union for old age security.
millwrights usually travel but always needed.
Heavy equipment operators travel unless you want to live where the work is.
I chose to travel and stay in the woods. IUOE 49
boilermakers have been losing ground fast with coal plants converting to natural gas. Filthy job anyway.

It’s getting time to start getting serious about what I want to do for work. I’m thinking about going into the trades since I’m not a big fan of desk jobs. Growing up I was taught that nothing in life comes free, if you want something you work for it, and to avoid debt. Got my first real job in 6th grade moving sprinklers on the farm to be able to pay for the hunting gear I wanted and then a truck. Haven’t quit working since then. Love farm work more then anything and the goal is to own a ranch some day.
I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask for others opinions on what they think would be a wise or smart career to get into. I’m not set on anything yet so any and all ideas and recommendations are welcome and appreciated.
Law enforcement. You can easily make over 100k a year with great benefits and retirement. Also vacations are flexible allowing you to hunt quite a bit. PM me if you have more questions or want more info!

Yoder

WKR
My dad worked construction. He always pushed me to get an inside job and make a lot of money. Never even talked about doing something you enjoy. I work in a factory fixing equipment and I make good money. I hate my job. To switch jobs now would be a 50% pay cut so it's tough to leave. Don't do this!

Find something you are good at, like to do and can make a decent living. Chasing money is empty. Money is important but not at the expense of your soul.

JMasson

Lil-Rokslider
I struggled to decide what I wanted to do when I grew up and to be completely honest, I’m still not sure. I saw a couple people recommend the Military so I’ll give you my opinion. I’m 37 now, I’ve been in the Army for 13 years and have been pretty successful up to this point. I’ve been to some really awesome places, and also some not so great places (Afghanistan, Iraq). I don’t make a ton of money each month but my family isn’t struggling. Im almost complete with a BS in Wildlife Biology and will hopefully be accepted into a post-graduate program next year. I’ll still have my GI Bill when I ETS but I think it’s time to transfer that to my wife or my kids, since I won’t likely need it.

Here’s the catch: when I was 24, jumping out of airplanes, shooting some cool guns, and blowing things up sounded awesome. It was…then. Now, not so much. It is still fun, mostly but I have worked myself out of doing all the real fun stuff in my job and now it is mostly administrative/ managerial work that I do daily. My body is starting to degrade and I have to work twice as hard to stay relevant. I’ve had 6 M-TBI,s (Mild- Traumatic Brain Injuries) and I have a couple herniated discs from bad landings on airborne operations. I don’t regret anything thus far in my life and I wouldn’t change anything. I have met some of the most intelligent and hard working people I have ever come across. I have also met some not so great people. The Military attracts all types, especially when there is a conflict.

I say all that, to say this: it can be a great career and one can be extremely successful but do not take the decision lightly, should it even be an option for you. I would also advice against most any Combat Arms MOS in the Army or USMC. Choose a technical specialty and benefit greatly from it. You could be an AH-64 mechanic and make 120k+ out of the military with the certifications that the military pays for. Same thing for tank and heavy diesel mechanics. The Cyber Warfare specialties pay even better and the Military is struggling to retain people in those specialties. They are getting massive reenlistment bonuses currently (80k+ for 3 years last time I looked).

JFK

WKR
Good advice given so far, however you really have to figure this out for yourself with the help of people that know you, your strengths, personality, etc. Some jobs you work alone, some as a team. They appeal to different personalities and one guy will find it a perfect fit while the other hates it. Don’t base your decision off of paycheck alone, but do look at the long term opportunities for growth.

Lastly, don’t feel like you only have one opportunity to make this decision. I worked for 5+ years in a job I hated before making a career switch. Working in a job you don’t like will teach you a lot about yourself, and give you a drive to succeed that few have. It’s better to try a few entry level jobs to see what you like than to go all in on a long term career with associated schooling costs, and later find out it’s not for you. Good luck.

Be a firefighter. Most time off of any job.
I'd disagree. You do get blocks of time off, but you work 56 hours a week, which is 832 hours in a year more than 40 hour employee. Due to FLSA exemption, it's all straight time. You're gone, on average, every 3rd day for 24 hours, and that's that's before additional OT shifts. A lot of cities cover PTO vacancies via OT - oftentimes mandated - because it's cheaper than staffing another full time position. If you care at all about spending time with kids and family, it's difficult to be gone for work for 24 hours, head out hunting/fishing/hiking/screwing off outdoors for a day or two, and then be gone for another 24 hour shift. Additionally, you work a lot of weekends and holidays, which makes it difficult for keeping up relationships and family connections.

If you work in a busy firehouse, there's a lot of nights in which you'll get very little sleep during the 24 hour shifts. You can push through being tired to make the most of "all the time off" for awhile, but eventually you get to the point that you just want to get some rest because another long shift is coming the next day or the day after. Even at slower stations, you don't really get all that much sleep; you get hard wired to still listen for the calls.

You generally have to live close to a larger metro area; small towns and cities don't generally have career departments.

There's not a lot of portability. Unlike having a trade, you can't just start over in a new area without taking a huge hit in pay, vacation, promotions, and seniority.

Unless you follow the advice to marry a rancher's daughter, you won't be buying much of a ranch on what you'll earn as a FF. Ranch house maybe.

It's not exactly that I'm trying to talk anyone out of becoming a FF. We need good people and, like most careers, it's been tougher to hire than ever. I'm just trying to help someone make a well informed decision. Bottom line is that if you think you'll love being a FF, then go for it. But, don't do it because you like to hunt and fish and generally just don't care to be tied to being at work. I've worked with plenty of people through the years who got into the career because of the schedule, and it usually doesn't work out too well.

I know a lot of people who work standard schedules that do more hunting and fishing than most FF I know. Similarly, I know a few people who work from home and have a flexible schedules that allow them to be out hunting and fishing way more frequently than any FF could possibly be, due to the fact that you're not even available to do anything other than be at the fire station for at least 1/3 of the days of the year.

Best advice I've got is to pick where you want to live first. Then figure out ways to make a living in that area. You'll hunt and fish a lot more if it's close by and you can do it without having to allocate vacations and larger blocks of time off.

If you really want to own a ranch, go to business or law school, be sharp, and work hard. Earn your fortune, then buy a ranch.

Last edited:

I don’t know if conned is the right word, but it’s definitely not easy work. 3 days x 13 hours give or take. That’s 13 hours of constant work, not sorta kinda working. Alot of it depends on your specialty and workplace. If you aren’t interested in healthcare then it probably sucks, but if you are somewhat interested its a pretty solid career choice. I get about 5 weeks off a year, and can get off 8 days in a row pretty much any time I want if I schedule myself right without PTO. If I use a week of PTO I’m off for 15 days.

I’m 24 and have more gray hairs than I can count if that gives you any idea. Been on the floor 2 years

Last edited:
The wealthiest folks in know all came through trade. Takes a special breed to work your way through and eventually do it yourself, but it’s far and away the highest odds of eventually becoming supremely comfortable.

I work at a bank and make decent money. At 5:00 my phone turns off and I shut down. Wife works for local government and has 15 more years to get pension. She can’t “quit” at 5, but my point is…. We kinda going there safe route with little risk.

If you’re not a go-getter with big ambition I think trades could be curse for mediocrity. If Do you wanna climb the ranks and make something for yourself I’d say it’s the way to go. Looking back I kind a wish I had done that.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I'd disagree. You do get blocks of time off, but you work 56 hours a week, which is 832 hours in a year more than 40 hour employee. Due to FLSA exemption, it's all straight time. You're gone, on average, every 3rd day for 24 hours, and that's that's before additional OT shifts. A lot of cities cover PTO vacancies via OT - oftentimes mandated - because it's cheaper than staffing another full time position. If you care at all about spending time with kids and family, it's difficult to be gone for work for 24 hours, head out hunting/fishing/hiking/screwing off outdoors for a day or two, and then be gone for another 24 hour shift. Additionally, you work a lot of weekends and holidays, which makes it difficult for keeping up relationships and family connections.

If you work in a busy firehouse, there's a lot of nights in which you'll get very little sleep during the 24 hour shifts. You can push through being tired to make the most of "all the time off" for awhile, but eventually you get to the point that you just want to get some rest because another long shift is coming the next day or the day after. Even at slower stations, you don't really get all that much sleep; you get hard wired to still listen for the calls.

You generally have to live close to a larger metro area; small towns and cities don't generally have career departments.

There's not a lot of portability. Unlike having a trade, you can't just start over in a new area without taking a huge hit in pay, vacation, promotions, and seniority.

Unless you follow the advice to marry a rancher's daughter, you won't be buying much of a ranch on what you'll earn as a FF. Ranch house maybe.

It's not exactly that I'm trying to talk anyone out of becoming a FF. We need good people and, like most careers, it's been tougher to hire than ever. I'm just trying to help someone make a well informed decision. Bottom line is that if you think you'll love being a FF, then go for it. But, don't do it because you like to hunt and fish and generally just don't care to be tied to being at work. I've worked with plenty of people through the years who got into the career because of the schedule, and it usually doesn't work out too well.

I know a lot of people who work standard schedules that do more hunting and fishing than most FF I know. Similarly, I know a few people who work from home and have a flexible schedules that allow them to be out hunting and fishing way more frequently than any FF could possibly be, due to the fact that you're not even available to do anything other than be at the fire station for at least 1/3 of the days of the year.

Best advice I've got is to pick where you want to live first. Then figure out ways to make a living in that area. You'll hunt and fish a lot more if it's close by and you can do it without having to allocate vacations and larger blocks of time off.

If you really want to own a ranch, go to business or law school, be sharp, and work hard. Earn your fortune, then buy a ranch.
You sound like a union rep getting ready to ask for a raise… haha yep hardest job in the world… ;)

You sound like a union rep getting ready to ask for a raise… haha yep hardest job in the world… ;)
Ha! I have worked on the labor side and bargained a contract, so in a way you called it.

Everyone looks at things differently, and every department is different, so there's a lot of different perspectives out there. YMMV, as they say.

From your post, it sounds like you might be closer to starting out in the fire service. Glad you're enjoying it and I hope you always continue to see it as a good choice. I hope, too, that you can at least appreciate how an opinion evolves over the course of a career and, further, after going through major changes in life. When I was young and single I enjoyed the schedule a lot more. Since having a family, a lot of the downsides to the schedule and the job in general have become much more impactful.

I enjoy the job and I'd do it again. Not trying to get down on it or keep anyone who has a drive to do it out of it, just trying to help others make a well informed choice on a big decision.