Careful what you wish for! TC Encore questions

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
I've wanted a Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter for as long as I can remember. Was pushed over the edge after getting into suppressors and watching a few Match Grade Machine videos. I "thought" the shorter overall length and modularity would be my answer to anything longun. Sold a Remington Ultimate to fund a like new Encore muzzleloader and ordered a custom 270 barrel.. Terrible move 😪

Anyway I knew these were notorious for inaccuracy but read there were some tricks. I sent my frame to EACBO for an action job and got a oversized hinge pin from Bellms. Now just trying to put this together and the drama queen is fighting every stp of the way.

Currently I'm faced with a breech plug issue, cocking issue and trigger issue.
I have two immediate questions for anyone who is willing to entertain.

1. Apparently mine has a speed breech but didn't come with a tool. I was able to force it out but can't seem to get it back in far enough. Are they just supposed to rotate a quarter to half turn?

2. When cocked is it normal for the trigger to have ~1/4" of loose play in it? I'm not just talking a ridiculous amount of creep, the trigger will literally rattle around.

Ready to toss this thing in the fire pit but appreciate any feedback!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Interesting, I recently picked up a Pro Hunter muzzle loader and ordered a 308 barrel from MGM. I have no answers for you, but wil be following this thread to see what others say.

I have a TC Encore Pro Hunter, i sent it to EABCO for the trigger job and it is great, no complaints. I have the pro hunter muzzle loader barrel too and have not had any issues with the speed breech. It works like a charm. You do have to move the 209 ejector out of the way but it should be a 1/4 or 1/2 turn and finger removable. I would check the threads and use a small amount of grease on them.

OP
WMDM

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
mighteywhitehunter, does your trigger have the slop in it I described? I am suspecting it's not anything EABCO did wrong just a nature of the design.

LWH723

FNG
Oversized pins are a PITA and I never saw an accuracy difference at least with my muzzleloader barrels.

OP
WMDM

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Update, so sort of figured out the "speed breech" issue after FINALLY getting it out. I struggled like hell getting it back in. Ended up watching a video where the guy wiggled the breech as he cohersed it in. About the 100th try it went! Felt like it was just luck so I left it for now. I'm used to torque spechs vs wiggling gun parts together. I'll close my eyes the first time I pull the trigger on this thing if I ever do!

Next I investigated the cocking. I could get the thing to cock without the stock on so I kept loosing the stock screw until it would cock with the stock on. At this point the stock was barely held on. Definitely not usable. I added washers so I could snug it up but still didn't work. Made another trip to the hardware store and bought 3 shorter lengths of the same size bolt to try tonight.. Wierd this started right after the EABCO action job.

With a barrel attached the trigger isn't as sloppy as before but still when cocked you can freely push the trigger forward about the distance of a full trigger pull. Doesn't give me a confident feeling.

Overall the gun just feels loose, nothing like the solid feel of a Citori I had hoped for. Took me 15 years to draw my muzzleloader tag. I'll be using most my year's vacation and freezing holding out for a monster. I'm gonna need a solid rifle. Did i mention I sure wish I had my ultimate back 😄

Last edited:
OP
WMDM

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Pissed around with the sock and shorter bolts. Long story short, the next shorter bolt from factory was the only one I could get started. It acted nearly the same as factory. According to my torque wrench anything more than 10 inch pounds (about 2 bolt rotations) and the action will not cock. Not acceptable. Added one washer and the bolt isn't long enough to engage.

Experimenting by taking the stock off and treading the bolt in, I can make 7 rotations before it fails to cock. Something is really messed up here.

Very open to any suggestions! Just on principle I'm getting to the bottom of this. I'll never have the confidence to hunt with it. I forsee it being used to hold my gun room door open. Ironically, I got an email today from MGM. My custom barrel is now in production. Too late to cancel ugh...

Last edited:
The triggers on my encores don't do what you are describing. Not sure what to tell you on that.

At this point, you might be money ahead to pick up a different encore action that hasn't been worked over and give that a try.

OP
WMDM

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's going to have to visit a doctor. Probably should just be put down lol

jlink83

FNG
Give Mike Bellm a call, he was extremally helpful when i called him about issues I was having with the spring kit I had installed for 10 years. He should be able to get you on the right track even if it is sending it back to him. I have a standard stainless encore for 18 years, the first 10 it was just a muzzy, it could put 2 250gr SST in the same hole at 150 yards with blackhorn. Dont give up on it they have potential

OP
WMDM

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks jlink. I actually got the stock assembled by putting washers in between the strut and the stock. Why it worked that way is kind of puzzling but it's in one piece and cocks !

I'll probably end up sending it to Bellm for his "advanced trigger job" if it shows potential at the range. I've got numerous loads to try.

jlink83

FNG
I buddy that I worked with had a Pro Hunter that he had to shim the stock bolt like that, one thing to check would be the locking lug springs. I had to place a BB behind one of my barrel for it to fully engage the locking lug, and even after that I have to really snap the gun closed, if I am to gentle with it still wont fully engage the locking lug.

Axlrod

WKR
Thanks jlink. I actually got the stock assembled by putting washers in between the strut and the stock. Why it worked that way is kind of puzzling but it's in one piece and cocks !

I'll probably end up sending it to Bellm for his "advanced trigger job" if it shows potential at the range. I've got numerous loads to try.
The trigger job on the Encore is pretty easy to do. Bellm has the kit with easy to follow instructions on his site. If you are sending it to him I would first get a turn around time- it is very long sometimes. In addition to the trigger, following Bellms entire Encore "protocol" will yield the best results. I have done quite a few Encores and Contenders from 22 LR to 416 Rigby and most can be made to shoot very well.

OP
WMDM

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Axlrod, good to know. I like to mess with guns so I'll probably do it myself!

OP
WMDM

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Update for those that helped wring this fussy project out some. Got a full action job done and installed an oversized hinge pin. Recieved my barrel from MGM and it looks nice! Just waiting on a hanger bar from Stratton Customs who, like MGM, have been excellent to deal with.

I wanted to take out as many variables as possible before accuracy testing. I'll break in the barrel, try some loads and report back.

The main goal of my project was to get a suppressed centerfire with an overall length that was more usable. That I accomplished! With a 22" barrel and 9" SilencerCo suppressor it is the exact same length as a stock Tikka with a 24" tube. Touch front heavy but well balanced considering the can.

Appreciate the input from everyone.
20220801_223306.jpg

Bountyhunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a suppressed encore, go with 30 whisper and 200-240s at 1100 fps. Spooky quiet with large volume suppressor.

jlink83

FNG
bergara had a run on 16in 300 blackout barrels that were threaded from the factory. It liked 170gr flatnose 30/30 bullets. Also had my 45/70 katahdin barrel threaded, thats alot of fun with 405grs

OP
WMDM

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Finally a range update. After the full action and trigger job, oversized hinge pin and new MGM barrel, I added a Stratton Customs hanger bar (recommended by MGM). Went through the excessive prescribed barrel break in and then finally got a still day for some accuracy testing.

I had premium ammunition from Unknown Munitions, Cooper Creek, Hornady and Federal to try. I shot no more than 3 consecutive shots before allowing the barrel to cool.

Ultimately I'm disappointed. I managed to squeeze out some decent groups but the gun is not consistent. Actually shot the worst group of the day then the best group back to back with the same ammunition!

I brought an old Weatherby Vanguard to shoot during barrel cooling. The stock Vangaurd ran circles around the accurized TC. Weatherby didn't spit one group over 3/4" (most 1/2" or less) while the TC's best group was about 3/4".

If anyone thinks I'm missing a TC accuracy mod I missed please lmk. At this point my verdict is the entire project was an expensive waste.