Careful what you wish for! TC Encore questions

jlink83

FNG
I got my first MGM barrel this spring in 6.5 PRC, I was starting to get frustrated with my groups. The gun showed real potential then would be kinda inconsistent as you describe above. This was all during their prescribed break in process. Once I started shooting the gun and not cleaning so frequently my groups started getting better groups. MGM stands behind their products if you are no satisfied. I s/w another encore shooter saying that MGM had replaced his 6.5 barrel 2x and was on his 3rd barrel with them due to QC issues.

OP
WMDM

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
I got my first MGM barrel this spring in 6.5 PRC, I was starting to get frustrated with my groups. The gun showed real potential then would be kinda inconsistent as you describe above. This was all during their prescribed break in process. Once I started shooting the gun and not cleaning so frequently my groups started getting better groups. MGM stands behind their products if you are no satisfied. I s/w another encore shooter saying that MGM had replaced his 6.5 barrel 2x and was on his 3rd barrel with them due to QC issues.
Thanks, I feel like the barrel is good quality. Hopefully with more use it will get consistent.

I just have a this feeling it has to do with the gun design itself after fixing so many factory glitches to begin with and then it still spraying groups. IDK

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, I recently picked up a Pro Hunter muzzle loader and ordered a 308 barrel from MGM. I have no answers for you, but wil be following this thread to see what others say.

I've wanted a Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter for as long as I can remember. Was pushed over the edge after getting into suppressors and watching a few Match Grade Machine videos. I "thought" the shorter overall length and modularity would be my answer to anything longun. Sold a Remington Ultimate to fund a like new Encore muzzleloader and ordered a custom 270 barrel.. Terrible move 😪

Anyway I knew these were notorious for inaccuracy but read there were some tricks. I sent my frame to EACBO for an action job and got a oversized hinge pin from Bellms. Now just trying to put this together and the drama queen is fighting every stp of the way.

Currently I'm faced with a breech plug issue, cocking issue and trigger issue.
I have two immediate questions for anyone who is willing to entertain.

1. Apparently mine has a speed breech but didn't come with a tool. I was able to force it out but can't seem to get it back in far enough. Are they just supposed to rotate a quarter to half turn?

2. When cocked is it normal for the trigger to have ~1/4" of loose play in it? I'm not just talking a ridiculous amount of creep, the trigger will literally rattle around.

Ready to toss this thing in the fire pit but appreciate any feedback!
Certainly an older post but I cannot resist replying. I own a TC pro hunter Muzzleloader. I have killed several deer between 200 and 250 yards. This is basically my limit although I shoot paper out to 350, no issues.

I did not care for my trigger at first. It was heavy at about 4lbs. I purchased Mike Bellums book on trigger adjustment (now 2 lbs) replaced all the springs, honed the sear and switched out the hinge pin for a tighter fit. I also added a hammer extension. I can now say I know this action inside and out.

I shoot 90 grains 209 BH with a CCI Primer. Groups are sub MOA with 200g shockwave bullets after cleaning with alcohol after each shot. Groups open to just outside MOA when not cleaning after each shot. Initial shot with clean barrel is 1.5 inches high. I use a BDL scope.

Recently purchased a 22k hornet barrel from MGM. Shoots sub moa. Also have 20g Turkey barrel in which I shoot TSS. Shotgun barrel patterns well. All three are extremely accurate. The trick is getting to know your rifle/shotgun completely. A lot of people expect a firearm to work flawlessly right out of the box and many do but some especially rifles with multiple barrel options take time to learn.

"Currently I'm faced with a breech plug issue, cocking issue and trigger issue.
I have two immediate questions for anyone who is willing to entertain."

Clearly you do have a trigger issue. What you are experiencing in not normal. Breach plug should fit precisely otherwise you will have issues with cocking. All of your action components should work together smoothly don't force anything.

I bought my shotgun barrel from Brown and company (EACBO) but do not know of the quality of their work. To avoid more frustration I would call Mike Bellum and ask his advice. If I were having the issues you are having I would call him and then ask to send him the rifle and get it shooting correctly. His fees are not bad.

My TC encore Pro Hunter is incredibly accurate and a true joy to own. Good luck.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Certainly an older post but I cannot resist replying. I own a TC pro hunter Muzzleloader. I have killed several deer between 200 and 250 yards. This is basically my limit although I shoot paper out to 350, no issues.

I did not care for my trigger at first. It was heavy at about 4lbs. I purchased Mike Bellums book on trigger adjustment (now 2 lbs) replaced all the springs, honed the sear and switched out the hinge pin for a tighter fit. I also added a hammer extension. I can now say I know this action inside and out.

I shoot 90 grains 209 BH with a CCI Primer. Groups are sub MOA with 200g shockwave bullets after cleaning with alcohol after each shot. Groups open to just outside MOA when not cleaning after each shot. Initial shot with clean barrel is 1.5 inches high. I use a BDL scope.

Recently purchased a 22k hornet barrel from MGM. Shoots sub moa. Also have 20g Turkey barrel in which I shoot TSS. Shotgun barrel patterns well. All three are extremely accurate. The trick is getting to know your rifle/shotgun completely. A lot of people expect a firearm to work flawlessly right out of the box and many do but some especially rifles with multiple barrel options take time to learn.

"Currently I'm faced with a breech plug issue, cocking issue and trigger issue.
I have two immediate questions for anyone who is willing to entertain."

Clearly you do have a trigger issue. What you are experiencing in not normal. Breach plug should fit precisely otherwise you will have issues with cocking. All of your action components should work together smoothly don't force anything.

I bought my shotgun barrel from Brown and company (EACBO) but do not know of the quality of their work. To avoid more frustration I would call Mike Bellum and ask his advice. If I were having the issues you are having I would call him and then ask to send him the rifle and get it shooting correctly. His fees are not bad.

My TC encore Pro Hunter is incredibly accurate and a true joy to own. Good luck.

I didn't read after the original post. The guy says they are "notorious for innaccuracy". I mean really? The TC Encore, the break action that surprises people by often shooting dang near as good as a bolt action?

Back to your post, EABCO is a good company in Garfield, MN. I've been there a few times, it's not far from Alexandria. I don't know how much they still deal with Thompson Center since they closed. In the heyday of the Encore 15 years ago you could go in there, buy one of their modified frames that came with the most amazing trigger, swing out hammer. Then pick a barrel (or more) from the list, and walk out the door with perfection. They had stock barrels, and their own barrels they made.

OP
WMDM

WMDM

Lil-Rokslider
Glad to hear others being satisfied with theirs. Ended up getting mine ironed out and it's on the heels of my bolt guns accuracy wise after lots of drama. Ultimately I agree with the reputation I had heard of before purchasing.

Still not a fan. I see why they went out of business. Juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Last edited:

tracker12

WKR
I had a TC in muzzy for several years. It was a very serviceable weapon and the accuracy was ok for eastern Whitetail. I shot a bull elk with mine but it was at a whooping 25 yards. I ended up selling it and went with a Knight UL for my Muzzy. If you like one gun with several barrels the TC is a nice option. But if I was building an accurate suppressed gun it would not start with a TC Encore.