Cargo panel for Hunting pack

mudlickman2

Lil-Rokslider
Do any of you guys use the Cargo panel as your main pack during elk archery season? I picked up one for hanging stands and hauling my climber. Really thinking about picking up a camp bag and using pockets to make it my elk pack for this year. Plan is 4 nights in SE Idaho during the archery season.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
I just looked at both threads and I don't get it. Why purchase a load sling then add a bunch of pockets to it? Why not purchases something like the Mystery Ranch Cabinet which is two long pockets and a center panel, weight would have to be close to the same when you figure in multiple pockets with molle attachment points and zippers.

OP
mudlickman2

mudlickman2

Lil-Rokslider
I just looked at both threads and I don't get it. Why purchase a load sling then add a bunch of pockets to it? Why not purchases something like the Mystery Ranch Cabinet which is two long pockets and a center panel, weight would have to be close to the same when you figure in multiple pockets with molle attachment points and zippers.

I'm buying the CP anyway for hauling whitetail stands and toting my climber on public land. Just wanted to see if it was feasible to keep the $250-300 in my pocket that I would spend on a bag for a week hunt and just try and make do with what I have.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running the CP and Duplex frame for elk and mulies. I run the 4 belt pouches on the CP (2 inside and 2 outside) like in Aron's video plus a long side pocket against the frame (e.g., water bladder, game bags, etc.). For camp, I strap on a duffel bag sized for the trip I'm doing. The only real problem is on longer trips with a long duffel bag, the top tends to flop around if you aren't careful with how you pack it and run the top straps for the CP. I like the set up since I can walk in, drop the duffle bag with camp in it, and start hunting right away. all my day hunting gear is in the pockets. 4 nights during Archery should be easy with this set up. I do about the same during ML season and a couple more during early rifle. also keeps camp separate from my game hauling mess on the CP and frame.

oldgoat

WKR
My wife ran one two years ago and I know a couple of local guys that use one. We used pockets in lieu of a Guide Lid and that worked but a Guide Lid is better and use less pockets. I wouldn't hesitate to use one again but we're waiting on a Woodsman now for Judy, for loads she carries I think a regular bag is better. Can't recommend the Guide Lid enough, I don't think you will want a camp bag though, I think a dry bag for the cargo panel is perfect, but camp bag wouldn't be all bad especially if you have a 26" frame.

OP
mudlickman2

mudlickman2

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input guys, E in CO and Old goat - seems like it has worked out for you guys well enough for me to at least try for this season. I picked up a native from another member that I planned on using against the frame with my OR dry bag pinned under the CP. Most likely going with 2 large pockets on the front and some smaller ones on the inside/native. Obviously I'm not saving any money by going this route, other than not having to buy a regular bag along with my mandatory purchase of the CP for hunting PA whitetails.

dotman

WKR
I used one with a large side pocket mounted on the outside and guide lid, worked great but I've since moved back to a dedicated bag, I just prefer it. If you need something to help haul tree stands the cargo net would do this with a regular bag setup. Or even a grab it and lash strap.

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
Mud, i'll tell you that the pockets and CP took a little getting used to since my "go to" set up has always been a single bag with minimal pockets. The CP and pockets with duffle has really grown on me after i figured out that moving the compression straps to the middle of the CP helped tighten up the day hunt mode.