Cargo Trailers as poor man's 5th wheel- Cold Weather non res hunting ideas.

With the potential sale of my home looming and the possibility for some Sock Drawer money....I am inquiring how viable a 7X14ish foot cargo trailer is as a mobile hunting outpost/camp?

I have seen a handful on Craigslist that have been semi converted and am asking what are the realworld possibilities to use one for semi local hunts?

I do not own an ATV, but my wife does. I run a KTM 450 EXC. I am more used to backpacking and sleeping in a tent on the ground. I am not a 5th wheel, slide out, Taj Mahal, drink whiskey kinda non res hunter. Never hunted off either of the machines.

I would not need a posh interior. A Cot would be a huge plus. I am simply looking as an option to pull to semi remote spots and rack out in it after a long day in the field and secure my stuff a bit more than a tent. I've seen a few with propane heaters in them and LED that run off a battery. That is as plush as I would need.....as anything warmer than a 20 deg bag on the dirt and eating via headlamp is a major upgrade.

Anything in particular to look for if choosing this direction? Can you sleep safely with Propane going in such a small enclosure?

Would be neat to take the ATV and DB with Mrs to do some summer camping and scouting. Drop down ramp would be a great means to this end, as well as offer all the other attributes of owning a cargo trailer, be it moving, firewood, ATV/DB hauling etc.

I have been toying with and researching this idea for a while. Just haven’t found a good deal in my area yet.

Here are the things I’m looking for:
Insulated
RV door
AC Unit (I’d use it in summer too)
Dual axel
At least one window is nice
An awning is also nice

Everything else I could build in or setup to be modular (cooking area with propane stove, water tank and sink, either fold down bed or cots, Buddy Heater/wood stove/vented heater, LED lighting, etc etc.

An RV furnace works exceptionally well, and vents to the outside. You can use a direct vent model or run ducting. There are a variety of beds that fold up to the wall, or retract to the ceiling. Most of the wall models work better for our customers. Lighting is pretty easy to install on most any cargo trailer.
It is certainly a viable option. We usually outfit a couple per year.

its a good idea and can be ideal for what you are wanting. Have the same thought. You can fix it up however you want for not a lot of additional cash. Plenty of vids on what others have done. Best of luck in your efforts. I would/will definitely put in a close-able window or a vent or two if I use propane heat, otherwise its electric with a generator.

Wrench

WKR
My buddy in kettle loaned me his and a tracked atv. I liked it so much that I bought my own for winter work. Get your cot off the floor and take advantage of the thermal benefits. Theoretically you can run a propane catalytic heater in them, but I can't sleep at night knowing what I do about CO poison. A stove jack and small stove would be the shizzle.

My buddy had one that he used for a number of years. I stayed in a number of nights and was pretty comfortable. He had a small Honda generator that he used to power everything. He had an electric “Amish” heater that he cranked up and got the trailer pretty toasty before going to bed. I thought it worked pretty well for what it was. Of course it was cold in the mornings but definitely a lot better than a tent.

EastMT

WKR
With the potential sale of my home looming and the possibility for some Sock Drawer money....I am inquiring how viable a 7X14ish foot cargo trailer is as a mobile hunting outpost/camp?

I have seen a handful on Craigslist that have been semi converted and am asking what are the realworld possibilities to use one for semi local hunts?

I do not own an ATV, but my wife does. I run a KTM 450 EXC. I am more used to backpacking and sleeping in a tent on the ground. I am not a 5th wheel, slide out, Taj Mahal, drink whiskey kinda non res hunter. Never hunted off either of the machines.

I would not need a posh interior. A Cot would be a huge plus. I am simply looking as an option to pull to semi remote spots and rack out in it after a long day in the field and secure my stuff a bit more than a tent. I've seen a few with propane heaters in them and LED that run off a battery. That is as plush as I would need.....as anything warmer than a 20 deg bag on the dirt and eating via headlamp is a major upgrade.

Anything in particular to look for if choosing this direction? Can you sleep safely with Propane going in such a small enclosure?

Would be neat to take the ATV and DB with Mrs to do some summer camping and scouting. Drop down ramp would be a great means to this end, as well as offer all the other attributes of owning a cargo trailer, be it moving, firewood, ATV/DB hauling etc.

We bought a 8x16 Cargopro, with man door, side window, interior lights, wired for plug ins in 2011. That thing has been awesome. We’ve camped from Montana, Washington, all over here in Alaska. Put down waterproof flooring, bought some big luxurious fold up cots, fold out table, chair and strap them above the fenders. Mounted a used aluminum side box up front for cabinets.

We can hook up to a small generator and run a space heater, coffee maker, charge electronics, fan to dry clothes. We do our fair share of backpacking not using it, but it’s super handy for fishing trips when it’s pouring rain for a week, bad caribou weather.

On the other hand working for the Govt I have moved a lot, it’s moved me 4 times which paid for itself already. It’s so nice towing 25-3000 lbs instead of 7-10,000 of a toy hauler. Plus cheap!

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I used a buddies cargo trailer as base camp for a solo elk hunt a few years ago. Folding table , cot, and little buddy heater worked awesome. Make sure you get one with enough head room to stand.

Here's a link to another thread.

PNWGATOR

WKR
My son and I had the opportunity to hunt with a friend on his acreage that he managed for trophy bucks. This was a management opportunity to help a young man successfully punch his first big game tag.

We took Howie’s car hauling trailer loaded with EVERYTHING! Once at his camp spot, we unloaded and set camp. Kitchen in the front of the trailer, Mr. Buddy Heater, lighting and three giant camp cots. He had a CO detector in the unit and it was fantastic. Nothing fancy, but weather tight and roomy and simple. Plenty of room for three and gear. We spent time outside eating and hanging out by the fire and stayed comfortable and dry when the weather turned.

isu22andy

WKR
We bought a 8x16 Cargopro, with man door, side window, interior lights, wired for plug ins in 2011. That thing has been awesome. We’ve camped from Montana, Washington, all over here in Alaska. Put down waterproof flooring, bought some big luxurious fold up cots, fold out table, chair and strap them above the fenders. Mounted a used aluminum side box up front for cabinets.

We can hook up to a small generator and run a space heater, coffee maker, charge electronics, fan to dry clothes. We do our fair share of backpacking not using it, but it’s super handy for fishing trips when it’s pouring rain for a week, bad caribou weather.

On the other hand working for the Govt I have moved a lot, it’s moved me 4 times which paid for itself already. It’s so nice towing 25-3000 lbs instead of 7-10,000 of a toy hauler. Plus cheap!
What fuel mileage do you get pulling the trailer with a stock F150 ? Something to put into equation when we are driving 16 ish hours .

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done that type of thing with a variety of trailers over many years. Including cargo, travel trailer, pop-up, and “overland” (aka Jeep Bantam) trailers. If you want to get anywhere even remotely remote, back country, two track, etc., I don’t recommend a cargo. Too heavy, not enough ground clearance. You’ll tear up the bottom, get stuck, difficult to turn around, etc. The best is a heated wall tent camp and no trailer. Next would be a high ground clearance overland. Final option a pop up modified with taller suspension and bigger tires. The lighter higher trailers are much more back road friendly.

EastMT

WKR
What fuel mileage do you get pulling the trailer with a stock F150 ? Something to put into equation when we are driving 16 ish hours .

I have the big flat nose and a gmc 2500 that gets 15 regular avg, it will drop down to 11 I think but I never test it any more, the roads here it’s hard to say. I would recommend a V nose for better pulling gas mileage for sure

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

SharkDog

FNG

Why wouldn't you drink whiskey?

OP
J
Because I've become soured on assholes who drink both Busch Lite in the camo hunter cans and toss them out on the roads in the National Forest, as well as the Canadian Club sub species of assholes that does same...…

That....and I just can't find a Tongue for it, or an IPA. Soooo not in the Kool Klub.

I have a Cargo Mate 6'x12' single axle cargo trailer I special ordered 5 years ago. The initial cost of the options was very reasonable when ordering the trailer new. A quick rundown of special features versus a standard trailer include:

- 6'-6" inside height for headroom when camping and tall enough to drive my Polaris RZR 800 thru the door.
- The high-clearance axle model with the Dexter axle mounted on taller leaf spring shackles. With the 15" wheels, the trailer has about the same clearance as my stock F350 diesel and more than my stock F150. I take it on logging roads, but wouldn't "4-Wheel" with it behind the truck....that is what the RZR or quad are for.
- stabilizing jacks in the back so you can unhook and not worry about two people in the back tipping the trailer up.
- Radial tires including a spare
- a folding jack up front that won't interfere with the truck tailgate and getting into the back of the truck.
- two 30" x 30" screened, sliding and tinted side windows...over the wheel wells in my case.
- A 36" wide RV door with inside/outside locks and screen door. It came with an opaque window and someday I may put clear tinted glass in it. Would like to see out.
- 1" of wall and ceiling insulation that is covered with plywood on the walls and wood paneling on the curved ceiling.
- 8 floor mounted D-rings to tie down the RZR.
- Two inside LED lights...note the truck must have the key in aux position to run the lights. To get around this I typically just stick a small oval/flat magnetic LED $5 flashlight to a screw on the ceiling. Plenty of light to cook and dress, etc.
(Note that this trailer came standard with an RV style crank up roof hatch with a bug screen. You definitely want a roof hatch)

Some additions to trailer I've made include:
- Painting it inside with gray paint including the floor, walls and ceiling. After 4 yrs and over 30,000 miles of use including several trips to CO to move mounts to BC I repainted it last yr.
- 25 screw-in coated hooks around the upper perimeter to hang up clothes, etc
- a paper towel rack
- a permanent method of attaching the broom to the wall.....you need it frequently
- s piece of painted plywood added to the frame up front so I can tie down my Honda 2000 generator up there if I'm carrying a freezer along on warm weather hunts,
- Under trailer mounting for an aluminum loading ramp that I move between the cargo trailer and an open trailer. I have side hinged "barn doors" in the back versus the loading ramp style door. This is due to fears that ramp door would get tweaked (un)loading the RZR on really uneven terrain.

When camping I use a small folding table up front, one or two burner Coleman propane stove, a folding chair, cooler, water jug and very comfortable folding "Swedish Cot" that I got from LLBean about 20 years ago. If it is real cold a 5,000 BTU heater is used to knock the chill off while getting dressed and eating breakfast (never while sleeping). The 6'x12' size is fine for solo camping. It would work for two but would be very snug. Larger would definitely be better in that case.

The trailer is fairly light...1200#s empty, however it has a large frontal area and definitely drops my mileage down. Either of my trucks with get 20 mpg (US) on a typical trip without the trailer. With the cargo trailer, I get around 15 mpg and really notice it behind the F150, not so much with the F350.

Good luck with your choice!

Last edited:

archp625

WKR
I have a better idea that I have been throwing around. Rent a trailer from uHaul when you go on your hunt. You can throw all your gear in there and set up cots at night. Then when you are finished with the hunt take it to a car wash and take it back. You wont have to store it, maintenance it or license it.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a better idea that I have been throwing around. Rent a trailer from uHaul when you go on your hunt. You can throw all your gear in there and set up cots at night. Then when you are finished with the hunt take it to a car wash and take it back. You wont have to store it, maintenance it or license it.
I thought about doing that, lil spendy going solo for 10 days

I have a Cargo Mate 6'x12' single axle cargo trailer I special ordered 5 years ago. The initial cost of the options was very reasonable when ordering the trailer new. A quick rundown of special features versus a standard trailer include:

- 6'-6" inside height for headroom when camping and tall enough to drive my Polaris RZR 800 thru the door.
- The high-clearance axle model with the Dexter axle mounted on taller leaf spring shackles. With the 15" wheels, the trailer has about the same clearance as my stock F350 diesel and more than my stock F150. I take it on logging roads, but wouldn't "4-Wheel" with it behind the truck....that is what the RZR or quad are for.
- stabilizing jacks in the back so you can unhook and not worry about two people in the back tipping the trailer up.
- Radial tires including a spare
- a folding jack up front that won't interfere with the truck tailgate and getting into the back of the truck.
- two 30" x 30" screened, sliding and tinted side windows...over the wheel wells in my case.
- A 36" wide RV door with inside/outside locks and screen door. It came with an opaque window and someday I may put clear tinted glass in it. Would like to see out.
- 1" of wall and ceiling insulation that is covered with plywood on the walls and wood paneling on the curved ceiling.
- 8 floor mounted D-rings to tie down the RZR.
- Two inside LED lights...note the truck must have the key in aux position to run the lights. To get around this I typically just stick a small oval/flat magnetic LED $5 flashlight to a screw on the ceiling. Plenty of light to cook and dress, etc.

Some additions to trailer I've made include:
- Painting it inside with gray paint including the floor, walls and ceiling. After 4 yrs and over 30,000 miles of use including several trips to CO to move mounts to BC I repainted it last yr.
- 25 screw-in coated hooks around the upper perimeter to hang up clothes, etc
- a paper towel rack
- a permanent method of attaching the broom to the wall.....you need it frequently
- s piece of painted plywood added to the frame up front so I can tie down my Honda 2000 generator up there if I'm carrying a freezer along on warm weather hunts,
- Under trailer mounting for an aluminum loading ramp that I move between the cargo trailer and an open trailer. I have side hinged "barn doors" in the back versus the loading ramp style door. This is due to fears that ramp door would get tweaked (un)loading the RZR on really uneven terrain.

When camping I use a small folding table up front, one or two burner Coleman propane stove, a folding chair, cooler, water jug and very comfortable folding "Swedish Cot" that I got from LLBean about 20 years ago. If it is real cold a 5,000 BTU heater is used to knock the chill off while getting dressed and eating breakfast (never while sleeping). The 6'x12' size is fine for solo camping. It would work for two but would be very snug. Larger would definitely be better in that case.

The trailer is fairly light...1200#s empty, however it has a large frontal area and definitely drops my mileage down. Either of my trucks with get 20 mpg (US) on a typical trip without the trailer. With the cargo trailer, I get around 15 mpg and really notice it behind the F150, not so much with the F350.

Good luck with your choice!

Sounds very similar to my setup, except I added a pair of 6v golf cart batteries and a fuse block so I can run lights, roof vent fan, charge phones, etc without being hooked to a truck or drawing the battery down.

I also have a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that rolls out on the floor for camp mode and can be removed the rest of the time.

A 6x12 has enough room for two cots in the back half, but you have to get in the, from the ends, you can’t walk between them. Not ideal if you plan to walk around and cook in there with another person, but doable just to sleep, read a book, and get dressed.

I added an 8’ ARB awning with their drop down wall to mine, it’s really nice to have space outside to cook, sit, and be out of the weather. I haven’t tried it in the cold running a propane heater, but I imagine you’d be able to get it comfortable.

archp625

WKR
I thought about doing that, lil spendy going solo for 10 days
It might be in the short term but long term you will come out ahead. Just like an RV. Most people buy one, pay the sale tax, pay the storage fee and use it two times. Then the sell for a loss. If you just rented one when you needed it all the other headaches go away.