Cargo Trailers as poor man's 5th wheel- Cold Weather non res hunting ideas.

rbljack

WKR
lots of good ideas in here. I have a 8x14 cargo trailer that doubles as a camper. Ours is Dual Axle, and Ive had two flats. Both times I was able to get to a parking lot or at least pull to a spot that was more open to change the flats. Cant do that with a single axle! But at the same time....dual axle is bigger trailer that wont places where a smaller trailer will. The biggest con to my set up is ground clearance. It doesn't have much and I cant use it over rough terrain. They are now making cargo trailers with an off road package option using larger tires and they have more ground clearance. Might want to take a look at those if you need to get back into more remote areas where the roads aren't that good. Take some time to think about your primary uses for the trailer and then go from there.

Ours is primarily used for motorcycle rally trips, taking day trips out to the dirt bike tracks, and weekend camp outs where access is decent. About the windows....our doesn't have any. In fact the AC unit was installed where the ceiling vent used to be. So...no light comes in with the door and rear ramp closed. Let me say that its DAMN nice to NOT having light come in at 0600 when you have been out till 0300 and hoping go get some sleep after partaking in the rally events.....LOL. So having windows isnt always a good thing IMO. I LOVE the fact ours is DARK until we say "let there be light". Its not a hunting trailer specifically, but here are some of the things I incorporated into ours that you may find useful for ideas:

I added fold down beds to each side using E track along the walls to hold them in place. Having them fold up allows us to carry the ATV or motorcycle or dirt bikes. My loads and configurations change every time we haul something, so e-track was used in the floor and side walls. I have a few of the E track wheel chocks so they can be repositioned and locked in as needed. The bed can be two individual bunks with a walkway in the middle, but I have a center piece of plywood that can be placed in the middle so we can turn the mattresses sideways and make one big bed for the wife and I. It has both 12 volt and AC power, and we carry a generator as well. I added an roof mounted AC/heat unit and have insulated the walls and ceiling. We put a rug on the floor for when we are camped, and it rolls to the side when not in use. The trailer came with a roll out side awning which is really nice, but I wouldn't leave them up in high winds because they wont last. EZ ups work too, but again....if the wind picks up, forget about it...they will get tore up.

Another tip that has worked well was getting a Yeti (or similar) cooler. We have the Yeti 105 which is a bit taller. It works well as a nightstand and an extra place to sit inside the trailer that is sturdy. They do cut down on ice consumption as well. We use "plastic totes to pack food and clothes in. They stack for travel, and we can slide them under the beds while out camping so they are out of the way and not underfoot. I use one of those Cabelas Fish Filet tables for use outside. It works to prep food, clean dishes, etc and folds flat when in stored for travel.
35358825c1335495bd74be74b96cdaae.jpg

I think a small Off road model would be a good platform for a hunting trailer build, and then customize it to work for ya. Good luck.

Last edited:
its a good idea and can be ideal for what you are wanting. Have the same thought. You can fix it up however you want for not a lot of additional cash. Plenty of vids on what others have done. Best of luck in your efforts. I would/will definitely put in a close-able window or a vent or two if I use propane heat, otherwise its electric with a generator.

That is awesome!

clperry

Lil-Rokslider
its a good idea and can be ideal for what you are wanting. Have the same thought. You can fix it up however you want for not a lot of additional cash. Plenty of vids on what others have done. Best of luck in your efforts. I would/will definitely put in a close-able window or a vent or two if I use propane heat, otherwise its electric with a generator.

That’s awesome! And for not a ton of coin. Pretty slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk