Caribbean Vacation Ideas

Will_m

WKR
Looking to do an early summer trip with the wife to somewhere in the Caribbean. Have been wading through a lot of stuff trying to narrow it down and have been relatively unsuccessful.

Here's what I would like from a location:

A house or cottage (preferably small) on or near the water
Easily accessible spearfishing/snorkeling (without boat would be from the beach)
Boat rental maybe?
Definitely charter at least one day
At least one or two restaurants to take the wife (planning on renting a car if possible)

Overall, would kind of like to avoid touristy stuff and do our own thing.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Laramie

WKR
If you decide you want the party scene, hard to beat the Riu on Paradise island. It's all inclusive and a great time. Typically can do a couple trip pretty cheap.

I took my wife to Sandals in Exuma Bahamas. Paid extra for a private cottage in the beach with a butler.
it was the best damn week of my life. Unlimited alcohol and food. The butler caters to your every need!!!
Highly recommend!!

Garg10

FNG
Hey Will...i was not a member here but just joined to respond to your question. My wife and I did exactly what you are looking for in January. We rented a cottage on the beach in Eleuthera, Bahamas. Trust me when I say you would not regret it. Search VRBO for a house with the name Senza Nome. Only saw a handful of people on the beach the entire week. Snorkeling right of the beach. The island is quiet and the people are very friendly. Several restaurants close by, some nights we were the only patrons there. Trip of a lifetime!
Mike

Attachments

• 20200114_071426.jpg
    20200114_071426.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200118_093611.jpg
    20200118_093611.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200111_172043.jpg
    20200111_172043.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 84

mattwill00

Lil-Rokslider
If you want not touristy and good accessible fishing it’s hard to beat the Baja. I know it’s not the Caribbean but some of those small towns have incredible food, cheap housing, and early summer for fishing is some of the best in the world. La Paz if you want some amenities. Los barriles, La Ventana and some others if you are looking for a bit of an adventure. Rent a Jeep and pick a beach and go spearfishing/fly fishing/spin fishing with zero competition. The charters are the most reasonably priced I’ve ever found for quality guides. Mostly because the palegic fish can be found within sight of the beach.

If that’s a little bit too far off the beaten path, Belize is always an amazing place. Awesome culture, English as the primary language, cheap, and I believe lobster fest is in June sometime. There’s a bunch of islands off the coast that are super safe and offer a lifetime worth of activities.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoyed going to St. Kitts. Chartered a fishing trip and caught Mahi and a marlin. Monkeys, black sand beaches, low key. Very enjoyable

FLAK

WKR
My wife and I have been to the Sandals on St. Lucia.
Very nice, but I wouldnt want to be off the resort.
Lil scary. And the mgt. advised against us leaving w/o
a tour group. Got shook down leaving the airport too.
Did catch a 52" Wahoo on a charter though.

Scottyboy

WKR
St Thomas, with easy access to the BVI (assuming you have a passport). Touristy on some area sure, but a trip to jost van dyke will make you soon forgot about people. Go to the soggy dollar bar and enjoy a painkiller, or 5 and enjoy your time in paradise.

Fitzwho

WKR
Roatan or Utila Islands of Honduras. Not touristy.
Ambergris Caye, Belize, a little touristy, but a cool spot.
Look at the West Indies as well. Guadaloupe and Dominica.

The wife and I have favored Costa Rica and Panamá lately.

Sparkey24

FNG
Bonair is beautiful. You can rent a golf cart and drive the whole island. The flamingo sanctuary is amazing. Still not super touristy. Lots of spots to go dive if you are into that.

FWoodKyle

FNG
We’ve been to most of the islands and St John was our favorite. Decent fishing, good diving, good food... Doesn’t have the party scene like St Thomas which is a good thing in my opinion. It’s also American which is a bonus

dtrkyman

WKR
St. John was far better than St. Thomas for us. quiet, not crowded and good fishing. We rented a condo with beach views, but drove to beaches more of the beaten path.

This was a long time ago, so not sure the changes.

We went to Grand Cayman 3 times, about 10 years between the 2nd and 3rd trip, what a change! Much quieter and much less development the first couple times.

Maybe a dumb question but are these areas open for travel from the US with the “pandemic “?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curacao is awesome. I've spent nearly 60 days there. If you go that route, send me a PM and I can point you toward some cool places.