Caribou antlers August 19 - 28?

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
What should I expect as far as antlers velvet or hard horn? Should be in the field North Slope from August 19th - 28th. I have watched several youtubes but not many state the actual date.

BowMan86

FNG
I have hunted up there the 1st week of Sept the past few years. I would say that most were still in velvet at that time. Some of the bigger bulls had shed their velvet though. We have shot 5 bulls off the Dalton highway the 1st week of Sept. All still in velvet.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yup agree with Nick. small to average large bulls will still have velvet. Few mature bulls might have hard horns but just starting to loosen up on the palms, some may be losing some velvet strips from damage or sparring, but agree expect velvet at large.

bmrfish

WKR
188bf8b204c1b8a9de7b83ab7973769a.jpg

What they said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhm2023

WKR
They will mostly be in velvet going into the beginning of September. The real big bulls will start shedding velvet first and I've seen some of the toads with somewhat ripped up velvet the very end of August early September. The velvet quality won't be very good late August early September though with most of the fuzziness being gone and likely that the velvet will be getting ripped up and peeling off when they do the dirt dance or when you start to handle them. Again, it depends on the size of the bull.

LCoult

FNG
It hit 70 a couple days

Geez! What’s the coldest it got to at night? Sorry to ask so many questions, me and sum buddies are heading up from the 6th-15th this year and I’m just trying to judge what all clothing I need to bring

Smtn10pt

FNG
Fly in drop off then on our own
235e6d35f0d029848ce0a253f7fef42c.jpg

did you preserve the velvet? If so what was your method? I'm going up this August and would like to keep a nice velvet bull if I get one.

Geez! What’s the coldest it got to at night? Sorry to ask so many questions, me and sum buddies are heading up from the 6th-15th this year and I’m just trying to judge what all clothing I need to bring

The weather was very unpredictable. We did get snow on the same trip. Average temp was 50° I’d say.