Caribou Crockpot Ideas

For crockpot I normally put some potatoes, carrots, quartered onions, the meat, maybe some cream of mushroom soup, worcestershire sauce, a bay leaf or two, maybe even a pack of French onion soup mix. 6 hrs+

Any other ideas? Got some company coming over Saturday night....have already decided on the crockpot route due to various factors, but wanted to see what modifications, substitutions, or suggestions you all might have for a flavorful meal? Sometimes the above can be a little bland, though I have not done this with caribou yet, just whitetail...

TIA

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use this simple one a bunch.
One package powdered kraft ranch dip mix, one package of Mccormick Au Jus Gravy. Pour 1/2 cup beef broth over your roast, dump both seasoning packets on top of roast, place one stick of butter over seasonings on very top of roast, set crock pot on low.

I typically make mashed potatoes and use the discarded ranch au jus butter broth mixture to make gravy with.

Caribou is a tough one to slow cook IMO. Easily my least favorite of the various AK wild game to make for roasts. If you have enough, I'd do a trial run to see how you like it before committing to a guest meal. It's particularly susceptible to coming out dry, so some experimentation may be in order to get it to get the cook time right.

Besides the methods you already described, we have done quite a few with strong tasting beer as the liquid. A porter or stout seems to work best to my tastebuds, but IPA's are good too, and depart a significantly different flavor.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you kept the bones, use a couple for marrow broth. Pressure cook the bou roast and bones for 40 min...

i don't slow crock caribou. I think it's too lean.

Voyageur

WKR
I used to have problems with not just caribou, but any of the wild game roasts drying out in the crock pot until I quit adding any sort of water based liquid to the mix and instead added a generous amount of cooking oil. I use olive oil, I'm thinking other oils would work just as well. If by chance I don't add enough oil to the crock and it still tastes a bit dry I will even add the oil to the meat slices on my plate.
Somewhere on here I read a thread on braised shank roast and how the key is low temp for 10 hours. Coupling that advice with using oil rather than water based liquids was a game changer for me.
Hope this helps.

I like to take a whole side of neck and char it on the grill.

Throw it in my instant pot with an onion, can of adobo, and a bit of stock.

Pull the meat and serve with tortillas, peppers, and onions.