Caribou hide preservation

need help. we have a group of 4 of us going on a caribou hunt and we are trying to figure out how to get the hide back. temps look to be in mid to upper 40’s. we’re doing an unguided drop hunt and can’t seem to find any information on saving the hide. taking salt isn’t an option due to weight. any experience in saving the hyde for 3-4 days while in the field? thanks

Trial153

WKR
Three or four days shouldn’t be an issue without salt …. I always cape mine out as soon as possible, then clean it up very well and I haven’t had any spoil yet, i salt them after I pack and fly it out. That said if bring salt so much the better. I was able to manage a couple pounds of it even with a 50 pound plus my bow limit.

OP
D
Lay the hide out [skin side up] during the night and let it cool good then roll into a bundle for warmer hours and you should be OK.
that’s what my initial thought was to get it out of the field. figured if you let cool at night and rolled it up and kept it shaded it would stay cool. we’re looking at mid to upper 40’s during the day and low fourths at night.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
flesh side down with hair-side serving as a waterproof membrane. Hang over willows at night, shade and flesh thoroughly during daytime. 3-4 days no prob without salt.

bowuntr

WKR
Do not salt a hide that hasn't been properly fleshed and turned... let it cool, put it flesh to flesh roll it up with the face on the outside, put it in a game bag, keep it dry and cool until you can get it frozen. Ed F

agaugler

FNG
Don’t bother with salt unless you can flesh and turn a cape completely. Do the best you can, make sure you know how to at least get it face caped, and take saw to cap the skull and split the antlers. Keep it cool, clean and dry. If you kill early, spend the time to flesh the hide as best you can and at least turn the ears lips and eyes. If it’s later in the hunt don’t worry about it as much. Have fun and enjoy

Ono

FNG
Not sure where you're headed, but we rolled ours put in a dry bag and put in a creek near camp. No slip issues and they turned out pretty nice.