Caribou hunt cancelled, looking for a hunt

Joey1919

FNG
This was my 3rd attempt at booking a caribou hunt, I booked and started planning about 18 months in advance. This week I got the word from the air transporter in AK that they werent operating this year.

Im looking for a replacement hunt, ive budgeted for an alaska trip so I dont mind paying for a decent hunt. Id prefer a landowner tag in a decent area and a semi or unguided hunt. Im open to anything though.
Elk, mule deer, caribou, moose, goat would be my main intersts.

If anybody has any recommendations I would appreciate it.

We may have second or third rifle open for elk in Colorado where I hunt. Small acreage but we’d had some really good success. I’m 2-2 in archery and my buddy that rifle hunts has killed 7 out of 10 trips. His dad killed the times that he didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
This was my 3rd attempt at booking a caribou hunt, I booked and started planning about 18 months in advance. This week I got the word from the air transporter in AK that they werent operating this year.

Im looking for a replacement hunt, ive budgeted for an alaska trip so I dont mind paying for a decent hunt. Id prefer a landowner tag in a decent area and a semi or unguided hunt. Im open to anything though.

If you're already in the headspace of an Alaskan hunt, you can always rent a vehicle and drive north for your Caribou gig. I did a drop hunt in August of '18 and was surprised how quick a jaunt it was from the highway to where they put us. Some transporters will put you just over the 5 mile line, which is honestly not bad enough a hike that I'd consider scrapping my season over it, if you're physically able to do it.

OP
J

Joey1919

FNG
If you're already in the headspace of an Alaskan hunt, you can always rent a vehicle and drive north for your Caribou gig. I did a drop hunt in August of '18 and was surprised how quick a jaunt it was from the highway to where they put us. Some transporters will put you just over the 5 mile line, which is honestly not bad enough a hike that I'd consider scrapping my season over it, if you're physically able to do it.

I'm physically able but that seems a bit more than I'd be comfortable with. I'm in Georgia and I've never been to Alaska. Wouldnt even know where to start.

OP
J

Joey1919

FNG
We may have second or third rifle open for elk in Colorado where I hunt. Small acreage but we’d had some really good success. I’m 2-2 in archery and my buddy that rifle hunts has killed 7 out of 10 trips. His dad killed the times that he didn’t.

Sorry, Not sure what you're offering,Is this a private land lease? Are the leases by the season?

If you want a wilderness deer and elk hunt, you could probably find one in Idaho. You’d be chasing mature critters but the trophy quality in Idaho wilderness is not high end. PM me if interested and I can give you some names.

OXN939

WKR
I'm physically able but that seems a bit more than I'd be comfortable with. I'm in Georgia and I've never been to Alaska. Wouldnt even know where to start.

It's the exact same hunt you were probably planning on doing; you just walk 5 miles in (the minimum distance from the Dalton Highway to legally use a rifle) instead of flying. Totally tracking that the logistics of doing it completely by yourself are daunting, but there are trip "templates" and guides on here that will provide you with 100% of the information you need. Just trying to give you another option!

You might want to take a look at fly in Newfoundland moose or Woodland caribou. With the Covid situation, some good outfitters (do research) might still have a few slots available. You could go high end there and still be considerably way below your Alaska budget. The fully guided aspect might not trip your trigger though. But, hey, you'd be hunting!

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
Ranch hunt in Colorado or Utah is probably your best bet. The good ones don't get publicly shared much online. Even though they are pay to hunt situations, the good ones are still hard to find. Imo, the offer you had above in Colorado is a pretty dang good one.

Sorry, Not sure what you're offering,Is this a private land lease? Are the leases by the season?

It’s land me and a buddy lease. But to afford it we lease out the seasons we don’t hunt. He’s not hunting rifle this year so there may be an opening. I have to check with my buddy to see if he has someone that’s hunting in his spot yet.

OP
J

Joey1919

FNG
You might want to take a look at fly in Newfoundland moose or Woodland caribou. With the Covid situation, some good outfitters (do research) might still have a few slots available. You could go high end there and still be considerably way below your Alaska budget. The fully guided aspect might not trip your trigger though. But, hey, you'd be hunting!

Id love to hunt woodland caribou but all those hunts ive ever seen were very expensive, and right now I dont think theyre letting dirty Americans into Canada

OP
J

Joey1919

FNG
It’s land me and a buddy lease. But to afford it we lease out the seasons we don’t hunt. He’s not hunting rifle this year so there may be an opening. I have to check with my buddy to see if he has someone that’s hunting in his spot yet.

PM me some info, I tried to pm you but for some reason I cant

OP
J

Joey1919

FNG
Ranch hunt in Colorado or Utah is probably your best bet. The good ones don't get publicly shared much online. Even though they are pay to hunt situations, the good ones are still hard to find. Imo, the offer you had above in Colorado is a pretty dang good one.
You mean "ranch hunt" like guaranteed hunt/pay by the inch?...thats all I see when I search Colorado/Utah ranch hunts.

Laramie

WKR
No. There are ranch hunts available where you are just paying to access the ranch. Like I said, they can be a challenge to find. Google Colorado DIY ranch hunts- that will get you started. I have some buddies out of Texas that do this almost yearly but they are in a draw area so can't get tags every year.

OP
J

Joey1919

FNG
What youre describing is exactly what id be looking for, ive been searching the internet for a couple of days and its a little overwhelming. A hundred different sites pop up I just have no idea how to tell whats legit. I'm sure there are a lot if folks out there who will sell you a camping trip for a few thousand dollars with little chance of even seeing an elk. I just don't know how to weed through them. Ive got a couple of sites bookmarked and id post them here to get opinions but I dont know if that's allowed.

If anyone can point me in the right direction id greatly appreciate it.

Voyageur

WKR
No. There are ranch hunts available where you are just paying to access the ranch. Like I said, they can be a challenge to find. Google Colorado DIY ranch hunts- that will get you started. I have some buddies out of Texas that do this almost yearly but they are in a draw area so can't get tags every year.
Exactly. Lots of my most memorable hunts have been of this sort. My dad was a master at finding quality ranches to hunt....no guide, just a tresspass fee. Some of them provided lodging. Many did not. Lots of options out there. @Joey1919 pm me if you would like more details...not on specific ranches, but details on how we found these opportunities.