Caribou hunting techniques with a bow

Haro450

FNG
So I am going up for my second archery caribou trip. Just wondering if you have and tricks for getting in range on caribou. My best advice is letting the caribou come to you. But it gets tricky when drawing. I have watched some hunters do some flagging with some success. Anyone like to share there experience or success storys.

We got two on the first trip. One was more luck than skill when two bulls dropped down to a basin with water with in range. The second was a bull bedded alone in a small drainage. A short belly crawl to get within range. But other opportunities presented while just letting the animals feed while sitting in one place.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Ultimate predator decoys said they would have a bow mounted decoy ready for my September hunt to try. Haven’t heard from them or seen one on thier page to purchase

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So I am going up for my second archery caribou trip. Just wondering if you have and tricks for getting in range on caribou. My best advice is letting the caribou come to you. But it gets tricky when drawing. I have watched some hunters do some flagging with some success. Anyone like to share there experience or success storys.

We got two on the first trip. One was more luck than skill when two bulls dropped down to a basin with water with in range. The second was a bull bedded alone in a small drainage. A short belly crawl to get within range. But other opportunities presented while just letting the animals feed while sitting in one place.
Kind of depends on where you'll be. I did a 40 mile archery hunt last year and mostly did a mix of ambush and spot and stalk. We also made a video series on the hunt that might give you a sense of how I hunted them thats on the Argali youtube channel under the Alaska Departed series.

OP
H

Haro450

FNG
Brad,
I watched your alaska hunt series last night. I really enjoyed it. We will be hunting the haul road again this year so a different type of terrain. But I do think your glassing and letting the animals for the most part come to you are good tactics.

WI Shedhead,
I have watched hunters do some flaggin but have yet to find anyone that had success with a decoy. It might work.

CodyAK

Lil-Rokslider
Get ahead of them and use the terrain as your advantage.

Ran into a fella from the valley on the haul road that used an antelope silhouette that he spray painted. He supposedly had good luck with it in previous years.

OP
H

Haro450

FNG
That looks like a amazing hunt. I wish I could afford a fly out hunt. But will have to stick with the haul road for now. I have you been back since that hunt?

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Ed, My wife thanks you for the video Ya I’m not gonna get much else done the rest of the weekend. Leaving on the 18th of September. 😀👍

White pillow case works at times.
Other times putting your bow above your head and slow walking directly at them works. When you try to circle them. They think your a predator, but if you come straight at them not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk